Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me thank all of you for helping me make a purchase decision! I must admit that I’ve been haunting this forum these past few weeks garnering information and insight on Taurus in general with specific emphasis on rimfire revolvers. Having recently returned to gun ownership after a 20 plus year absence (the new wife though it would be fun to go shooting!!!!) I had much to re-learn.

The first few purchases, after careful research, were relatively easy. For the wife, a Walther P22 and for the night stand a Steyr M9-A1. The closet has a Mossberg 590 Tactical on order. Now came the hard part. I wanted a larger 22 revolver so I could afford some enjoyable and inexpensive range time with the wife. The problem that I found is that most of the 22 revolvers are so dinky they barley fill the palm of your hand. Dilemmas, dilemmas, what’s a guy to do?

When the dust finally settled my short list was the Smith & Wesson 617 with a 6in barrel and the Taurus 970 Tracker. Since I’m not posting on the S&W forum I guess you all figured out which way the decision went. The 617 in a very nice revolver….great fit and finish, comfortable in the hand, butter smooth action and S&W vaulted reputation with a suggested price of only $814!!! The 970 has a nearly equal fit and finish, is as comfortable (still trying to get use to the Ribber grips) and while the trigger action in DA is a bit stiff I usually shoot in SA. That leaves the reputation of Taurus. I purchased the 970 for $319 NIB. Suffice it say that I was willing to take the chance on Taurus’ reputation for the nearly $500 difference in price.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I thought all the members needed to know what brought me here. I’m looking forward to increasing my knowledge of Taurus and enjoying the friendly company that this forum seems to offer.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have never shot that model but I bet the trigger will smooth out and it will shoot as well as the S&W and what makes it better is that you have $500. in your pocket. Only advice I have is don't tell that to the Ms. :D

·
Registered
579 Posts
Welcome from Missouri !!

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad you could join us. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Welcome From Arizona :wave:

Glad that you are here..look around and have fun :D
the ribber grips are nice, i got used to them.
I have Tracker 627 .357..
I did put Houghs on it for something different, they work great also..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts