Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Now,

I'm not a Taurus owner yet. I signed up here to track down the truth about the MilPro series that I've read a lot of disturbing reviews about. I am very close to buying another .45. I have held the PT145 and just love the feel of it. The size is exactly what I'm looking for. I am very impressed with the reports I've read of its accuracy for such a short-barreled gun. I'm sure everyone here has read about excessive FTEs and FTFs, as well as sub-frames and barrels cracking etc. Typically, seeing more than one account of things like this would make me run away from that weapon like my hair was on fire, but I like the size and firepower of the PT145 so much, that I'm willing to be convinced that they've solved the problems of the earlier generations.

I'm sure most of what I'm looking for can be found in threads around here, and I will indeed go looking. But if y'all have anything to offer, I'd be glad to see it here as well. If not, see ya's 'round the forum.

Blues

·
Registered
539 Posts
Blues, I would say don't hesitate in picking up a PT145 and put it through its paces! Welcome to the forum. I had the same question when it came to the EAA Witness and I decided to just go for it and it has proven to be a great buy. If you have held the gun and liked it, to me, that is one of the most important factors in buying a gun; not all feel the same in a person's hands and it sounds like you have found what fits you. Can you go somewhere and rent the gun to shoot it before you buy?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mrglock. Unfortunately, no, I can't rent a PT145. There's a gun shop near me that has a bunch of guns set aside for try-outs, but the 145 is not one of them. They don't even charge rent. You just buy the ammo and pick what you want to shoot. That's how we (my wife and I) decided on the XD-40 I bought for her b'day. Would love to be able to do that with the 145, but since I can't, that's why I'm here.

I agree that feel is an important factor, and the PT145 rates a 10 in that dept. for me, but the most important factor to me, since if I get it, it will be my EDC, is reliability. I was hoping that most of the negative reviews I've read (and, unfortunately, there's been a lot) were only about 1st and 2nd gen. 145s, but as I look around here, I see that the 3rd gen. has similar problems. I'm headed for the range in an hour or so, which is at the gun store where I'll buy it if I decide to get one, and I'll look at a couple of them again. I'll also ask what my dealer thinks of their reliability.

I'd really like to hear from someone who experienced problems at first, but were able to work it out satisfactorily either by a home-fix or through Taurus' customer service. If customer service was used, I'd like to know what to expect for turnaround.

Thanks Again,

Blues

·
Registered
846 Posts
Welcome, I have a PT140 and a 24/7 I would recomend either in any calib. you prefer. Clean completely as soon as you get home, pick some decent ammo., read about the sights, triger pull and the grip on these guns and shoot away I will bet if do your reading you will have 0% problems.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you with us. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Welcome From Arizona :wave:

Glad you are with us..look around and have fun :D

Hey Blues..
I'm not a Taurus owner yet
We will help you change that right quick ;)..LOL

Alot of good posts and threads in here :thumb:
HAPPY HUNTING :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Welcome from Delaware.

I've had my PT-145 and PT-111 for 9 months and both have been trouble free. No FTF's. No Jams. No broken parts. Fired over 1000 rounds through both.

I feel confident in both guns and carry the PT-145 every day since Sept. when I got my CCW. :D

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Now, if you asked about any guitar I'd like to own, geez!
this is from another post :D

I CAN'T BELEIVE IT...somebody smack me,,
finally a guy on here with guitars :clap: :clap: :thumb: :yipee: :yipee: :drool: :devil:

·
32,531 Posts
I have to ask. Where were these 'disturbing reports' at? We might be able to set things straight for you.

The actual owners are here and have no reason to do anything but tell the truth about their experiences. Good, the bad,and the ugly. Mostly the good from the looks of things. LOL

·
Administrator
39,708 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! :wave:

Check out the Millennium (Pro) Pistols section, you'll find all the info you could ask for there. If not, just ask. I'm a PT145 3rd gen. owner, shooter and concealed carrier of same myself. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Welcome from Nothern Utah.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Welcome from the Land of Lincoln.
texas shooter said:
Clean completely as soon as you get home, pick some decent ammo., read about the sights, triger pull and the grip on these guns and shoot away I will bet if do your reading you will have 0% problems.
I'd like to piggy back on this and excuse me for "yelling" but CLEAN IT WELL. I recently bought a PT92 in stainless and the preservative/oil it came shipped in was practically adhesive. Many of the issues that arise during the first shooting of a pistol can be directly attributed to this preservative trapping residue and gumming up the works. Failure to fire because the striker isn't moving freely, failure to extract because the slide isn't moving freely. These and other problems have been corrected by, and could have been prevented by, a detailed cleaning before the first range session. The old saying "like a well oiled machine" should be modified to "like a clean, well oiled machine."

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Blues, welcome to Taurus Armed from VEGAS!

You will be very happy with a PT-145. I have one and it's my fav'!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Welcome from southern Oregon

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
welcomefrom florida

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the welcomes! Seems like a pretty nice forum y'all got goin' here. Having introduced myself back in November '07 though, I was quite surprised to see this thread resurrected. After doing some research, I decided against buying a PT145 at that time, and haven't been back until this evening, so if the new "welcomes" are from folks who thought this was a current thread, well, thanks a bunch, but it isn't.

May buy a Taurus on the next go-around and may well be back then. Take care till next time.

Blues

1 - 20 of 22 Posts