Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from a first ever Taurus owner. Bought the 709 Slim last week. Had been leaning toward the KelTec Pf9 and Ruger LC9, but when I held this gun I had to have it. Put 100 flawless rounds in it. My only complaint was the ever popular low left shot placements. I adjusted sights as far right as I could and altered my grip to left thumb over right which brought me to center. Rear sight was adjusted all the way up and still hitting 6 inches low at 12 yards. If Taurus would just fix the cam driven rear sight to go about an 1/8 in higher my gun would be dead on. Called Taurus and informed them of my problem and they are mailing me free of charge 2 sets of smaller sights that will hopefully give me a very accurate gun. For $320 out the door from the LGS, I am very happy! I just found a spare mag for sale locally very cheap and will add a pearce pinky extension. Now I'm eyeballing the TCP380 for my wife!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Welcome from StL MO and from a fellow 709 owner!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Welcome from Dallas, TX, and another happy 709 owner!
Sounds like you approached the sighting issues in a rational manner - let us know how those smaller sights work for you.

I know my main issue was using too much "trigger finger", and once I started using just the pad, my POI and POA were much more aligned.

Reactions: HD-Mike

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Welcome from the bowels of Hellaware..

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Welcome from PA. Try firing with snap caps and see if the front sight moves when you pull the trigger. Low and to the left is sometime a symptom of jerking the trigger. Good luck with your 709.

·
Registered
14,823 Posts
Welcome from northeastern Kentucky! :wave:

·
Super Moderator
40,644 Posts
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome from Dallas, TX, and another happy 709 owner!
Sounds like you approached the sighting issues in a rational manner - let us know how those smaller sights work for you.

I know my main issue was using too much "trigger finger", and once I started using just the pad, my POI and POA were much more aligned.
That is something I will try also. I am also new to compact pistol shooting. It makes sense that smaller barreled guns will accentuate bad habits in firing. By dry firing my 709 and watching the motion of the gun, I could see the barrel dip low and left while pulling the trigger. By placing my left thumb over my right thumb, I seemed to stabilize the barrel while shooting.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Hello from Central North Carolina and welcome to TaurusArmed.net. You are going to find some
friendly and knowledgeable people here.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome from Ohio!!

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!

·
Administrator
40,287 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! :wave:

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Welcome from South Tulsa.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Welcome from North Central Florida!!

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
1 Smiley Hello.gif Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
:wave: hi hunter and welcome. good to have you here.

·
Super Moderator
37,281 Posts
Welcome brother Illinoisan and congrats on the new pistol! Here's hoping you can legally CWP it in a month.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts