Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Teachers will generally follow the liberal democrat NEA antigun platform.

I guess I hope they get some training and are responsible. Personally they should be allowed to protect themselves. Of course I think the HR Manager atwork should be allowed to protect himself.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
Since Florida is a "Shall Issue" state, I feel it should have been left up to the individual teachers instead on the "District Bureaucracy".

If they're willing to get the training and take a stand they should be allowed to. Especially in rural counties where LE response times could be as high as 30-45 minutes.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I want to be enthusiastic about this, but frankly I just can't see it ending well.

I mean, imagine that a teacher should actually have to use their firearm in self-defense against some wingnut kid who just saw the new Joker movie and decides he's gonna go shoot up the school. How do you suppose the media will spin it, hm? How do you suppose parents will react? They'll probably try to turn the teacher into public enemy number one, and even if they don't succeed, you know that they'll probably gain enough traction to get the law revoked.

I dunno, hopefully I'm just being overly cynical and folks have finally gotten fed up with psycho kids who have absolutely no chance of ever amounting to anything because they voluntarily throw their own futures away the moment they decide to commit mass murder, won't shed a single tear for them, and will hold a parade for the teacher who saved all the school children by putting his/her life at risk to defend them from a complete waste of skin, complete with glowing news reports of their selfless heroism, followed by a feature film starring Liam Neeson based on the story. That's what I'd love to see.

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I guess I hope they get some training and are responsible. Personally they should be allowed to protect themselves. Of course I think the HR Manager atwork should be allowed to protect himself.

Read the article! Here is a quote from the article concerning necessary training and other conditions teachers in the program have to go through to qualify for the program.....

"The training is 140 hours on a shooting-range, an extensive background check, drug screening, and an exam by a doctor to certify mental fitness. It’s all part of the state’s Guardian Program".

I would probably wager that the vast majority of people on this forum do not have anywhere near 140 hours of formal firearm instruction.

Don

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Read the article! Here is a quote from the article concerning necessary training and other conditions teachers in the program have to go through to qualify for the program.....

"The training is 140 hours on a shooting-range, an extensive background check, drug screening, and an exam by a doctor to certify mental fitness. It’s all part of the state’s Guardian Program".

I would probably wager that the vast majority of people on this forum do not have anywhere near 140 hours of formal firearm instruction.

Don
I don't know about the vast majority but I do.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
This is only a partially good thing. I do not agree with the invasive medical things (see article) they force them into in order to be allowed to carry in the "special building" known as a school. Criminals do not have to do the same, and they carry where ever they want to.

·
Registered
682 Posts
140 hrs etc, etc and some will be better than police. If schools feel they need armed guards then this could be a discount and actually be a better result. Still it is probably just a lot of posturing with little results. Maybe just telling the bad guys it isn't a safe zone helps. But the really bad guys plan on death anyway. We will see, the leftist districts have already made themselves targets when they could have just been silent. But once again truth and results dont matter.

Kind of liken the bear story, I don't have to be faster than the bear...just you.

Reactions: 230JHP

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Ohio allows this, and quite a few teachers I know got the training and are packing.

Maloy

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Unfortunately Charlotte, Collier and Lee Counties here in SWFL have opted out of the Guardian Program, but are suing the state for the funding they would have received had they approved the program. Every school has a full time armed "Resource Officer", 2 for the larger schools.

·
Super Moderator
19,803 Posts
Hmmmm, Georgia is not listed, yet we have “campus carry”. This would seem to cover all campus roamers.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe campus carry is for colleges. Public school is it different story.

Don

·
Super Moderator
36,450 Posts
I like it! If they toe the line with the requirements and the follow through it will make kids safer.

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
we have several schools in Texas where the teachers are potentially armed and I believe some 300 teachers actually took the required courses and training.

·
Administrator
39,924 Posts
Something very similar already in Texas. It’s up to the discretion of the individual school districts.

Reactions: CJS3 and 230JHP

·
Super Moderator
36,450 Posts
Something very similar already in Texas. It’s up to the discretion of the individual school districts.

If they manage to keep which districts allow it confidential that could also be of benefit.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Texas and Ohio are both states that are not on the list of States that Allow teachers to be armed. Do you have any more information on what kind of program they're using in those 2 state?

Don

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Florida gun laws are statewide and no city or county can disobey them. Any city, county, state official can be fined $5000 a day out of their personal bank account and any city or county $500,000 a day.

·
Administrator
39,924 Posts
Texas and Ohio are both states that are not on the list of States that Allow teachers to be armed. Do you have any more information on what kind of program they're using in those 2 state?

Don
Here’s an article I found from 2018 concerning Texas, that should give you a pretty good idea. Contains informative links. There are three districts in my area that allow armed teachers.

https://www.caller.com/story/news/e...stricts-allow-teachers-staff-armed/364677002/

1 - 20 of 48 Posts