Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any experience with this ammo yet?

The ballistics on it are unreal, according to Federal's Web Site, and in theory, they are supposed to be good to go in place of the std. 230 grain normally recommended. Apparently, it's kinda-sorta-but-not similar to the old Glazer's, with fragments expanding upon impact.

My son-in-law and I will be range-testing this ammo this weekend, and I'll post pics and results when we finish. There are almost zero customer reviews out on this yet around the web that I've found.

P.S. My NEW PT1911 SS arrives in 4 hours..........WHEW! Seems like it's been a month!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
It does look impressive. I wonder if they are doing something similar with the .40? I already us a similar round in my .38 (Federal 110 gr. Hydra-shok) and it works very well. I think the Hydra-shok is one of the best bullet designs out there, although it does get a little overshadowed by some of the flashier stuff.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
HydraShocks will not fragment at that velocity.... what the 165 grain load gives you, is exactly what is in your thread title .... Lower Recoil.

Ballistics are just that....numbers. I tend to use ammunition that has a proven real world track record. The HydraShock does, just not this particular load.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Just checked, and Federal does have something nearly ballistically identical for the .40. It's their 135 gr. Hydra-shok loading. They also have 155 & 165 gr. loadings that are a little slower and with less muzzle energy, so they might take care of the expansion issues that PD is talking about.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I understand, the load just hasn't been on the market long enough to know what it does...I read one review where the writer said it was just "really loud" in comparison to other loads.

This one has a pin in the center of the HP, which, in THEORY, is supposed to create the expansion/fragmentation on impact. Of course, I may have no idea what the hell I'm talking about, either, there's always that...

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Yup. I load my PT-145 with them. I killed one of those "suicidal, spring loaded, hoofed rats" ( white tailed deer ) with one last winter, the sucker jumped out in front of my truck and I hit it in the hind quarters breaking it's back. I finished him off with one shot behind the ear that made his head a gooey mess, I reckon that means they work. Oh by the way the DNR let me have the dang thing and it tasted good too....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Anyone had any experience with this ammo yet?
The ballistics on it are unreal, according to Federal's Web Site, and in theory, they are supposed to be good to go in place of the std. 230 grain normally recommended. Apparently, it's kinda-sorta-but-not similar to the old Glazer's, with fragments expanding upon impact.
!
Yes, I bet, it is impressive especially coming form the manufacture.
You can go down to the local Ford dealer and read all kinds of articles on how great Fords are as well.
Modern self defense ammo in like calibers and weights are pretty much a wash out, if one was really that much better than the others then the others would be out of business quickly.
everyone knows what everyone elses ammo will do, nobody is going to get that far ahead of the others.
I guess the question is why would you go to a 165 grain projectile in a 45acp?
especially a full sized 5 inched barreled 45?
I would suspect might near any 45 acp that wasn't plus P and have a 165 grain pill in the end of it would be somewhat "Low Recoil".
The pin in the hollow point is a retro to the original Hydra shoks that were designed in that fashion when they first hit the market, the key is how does it function in your gun and how is the accuracy of it in your gun.
My 1911's generally shoot from 185 to 230 grain equally accurate and well, I don't recall if i have ever tried a pill as light as a 165 in them.
let us know how they work for you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I bet, it is impressive especially coming form the manufacture.
You can go down to the local Ford dealer and read all kinds of articles on how great Fords are as well.
Modern self defense ammo in like calibers and weights are pretty much a wash out, if one was really that much better than the others then the others would be out of business quickly.
everyone knows what everyone elses ammo will do, nobody is going to get that far ahead of the others.
I guess the question is why would you go to a 165 grain projectile in a 45acp?
especially a full sized 5 inched barreled 45?
I would suspect might near any 45 acp that wasn't plus P and have a 165 grain pill in the end of it would be somewhat "Low Recoil".
No doubt this is something of a novelty load, something Federal is offering to set them apart a little from SPEER, etc. I don't put a lot of stock in the marketing hype either (Chevy Volt, anyone?), but I am curious enough to throw a few down range and see what happens.

The fact that it was a 165 grain is what caught my eye - and not in a good way, it just didn't seem right, if that makes sense, for what they were touting. So, with NEW PT 1911 SS in hand, we'll see if it's a Grizzly killer....heh. Guess we already know it will decimate "spring-loaded hoof rats"...

I'll post pics, and even try a little video if I can pull it off.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup. I load my PT-145 with them. I killed one of those "suicidal, spring loaded, hoofed rats" ( white tailed deer ) with one last winter, the sucker jumped out in front of my truck and I hit it in the hind quarters breaking it's back. I finished him off with one shot behind the ear that made his head a gooey mess, I reckon that means they work. Oh by the way the DNR let me have the dang thing and it tasted good too....

View attachment 23719

Ballistic tip level mush, or more hollow point careening around kind of mush?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
i agree olfarhors, i don't know why anyone would want that light of a bullet in .45 acp. 185gr. would be the lightest IMO. personally i like the proven 200 gr. xtp jhp for defensive load or 230 fmj rn. going that light you might as well go to a .40 S&W, not that it is a bad cal., just not a .45

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Ballistic tip level mush, or more hollow point careening around kind of mush?
well not famialir with the "TRUE" ballistics of this projectile, but if comparing incapacitation generally its the total wound channel (of course where the channel is located is most important) so you are looking at several things in total wound channels, the depth as well as the expansion, generally the lighter weight projectile gives up a lot of penetration to a heavier weight projectile that is located in the same spot, this really comes into play should heavy bone be hit.
to each his own as self defense ammo is a very personal thing but i lean to a middle weight projectiles to try to accomplish a balance of expansion and pentration.
this i think covers the most scenarios that one would encounter with a defensive handgun.
but if it works for you and makes you feel all warm and fuzzy then go with it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i have it loaded in my pt. Came highly recommended by my local gun shop. As far as penetration goes, he explained to me, with this round you might get 4-6 inches worth, meaning all the energy is absorbed by the BG. 4-6 inches may not seem like much but exactly how far beneath your skin are your vital organs....

my two cents

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
i have it loaded in my pt. Came highly recommended by my local gun shop. As far as penetration goes, he explained to me, with this round you might get 4-6 inches worth, meaning all the energy is absorbed by the BG. 4-6 inches may not seem like much but exactly how far beneath your skin are your vital organs....

my two cents
You'll get closer to 10-12 inches with this load.

And for what it's worth --- 4-6" of penetration may NOT be enough to hit a vital organ...especially in large framed humans (that doesn't necessarily mean overweight)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, where can you find this info on different SD rounds for the 45? I usually like to have some data about the things I am talking about. And I do not want to be spreading misinformation. I guess next time I will get some actual data before assuming my local gun dealer is always right.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
You'll get closer to 10-12 inches with this load.

And for what it's worth --- 4-6" of penetration may NOT be enough to hit a vital organ...especially in large framed humans (that doesn't necessarily mean overweight)
yes and not trying to persuade anyone one way or the other but there is also the issue of clothing being worn be the assailant, and what if he turns as /just before you fire and the round must penetrate the arm , the rib cage and then work its way to the heart/lungs.
these expansion test are somewhat valuable comparing one round to another but honestly I have never seen ballistic gelatiion that had bones and muscle in it.
I understand that it seldom goes into shock as well.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, where can you find this info on different SD rounds for the 45? I usually like to have some data about the things I am talking about. And I do not want to be spreading misinformation. I guess next time I will get some actual data before assuming my local gun dealer is always right.
O

OH my goodness , now days there is more info out there on the subject than you can read, just web search the particular round, theres the manufactures data, individual magazine/writers articles, web videos, etc, etc, etc.
IF you really think about it though , its kind of hard for a small 1/2 inch diamter piece of metal traveling at say 1000-1100 FPS (as in the case of the 165 grain) to be stopped in 4-6 inches of human flesh, now it may be deflected but hard to stop something moving that fast and that small that quickly.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Reactions: Sdwat54

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, we did range-test the 165 Federal Premium load last Sunday. However, our testing was about as scientific as throwing various sized rocks in a pond to judge ripple effects....

I can safely report that were we faced with an assailant that was made of 1 gallon of water in a milk jug @ 10 yards, he'd have died a fast and horrible death, and the CSI team would have complained a lot about the mess. The same is true for an enemy made of a 1/2 gallon OJ carton, and water-filled. We killed several of these using various loads, including hand loads, Fed. Prem. FMJ's & HP's (all 230 grain) as well as the not-quite-controversial-yet 165 load for whom this thread is named.

Dead, all of them. The 165 showed the largest field of expansion (and was the coolest to watch impact), but what I learned most from that day on the range was that my brand-spankin' new PT1911 SS is absolutely the best handgun I've ever fired.

I can post pics of our various targets and the load we used per, but I'm guessing y'all have seen 'em before. However, if ya want 'em anyway, let me know, and I'll throw 'em up here.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Yea, i like those unscientific water filled milk jug test too!
I like to take the 41 magnum with full house JHP reloads!
where the milk jug was sitting isn't even wet it displaces so much water!
the trees do get a good watering though!
he-he-he.
enjoy the PT1911.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea, i like those unscientific water filled milk jug test too!
I like to take the 41 magnum with full house JHP reloads!
where the milk jug was sitting isn't even wet it displaces so much water!
the trees do get a good watering though!
he-he-he.
enjoy the PT1911.
Heh......try mushing a few blocks of generic brand velveeta cheese (a cheap, nutritious, and lead-hungry food-like product) together, then load that .41 up and let 'em fly to the cheese blocks....

Just, well - don't leave the remains close to the house, is all I can say from experience.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts