Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Timely, because we kicked around various cartridge choices for the 1911 in this thread: https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/...-future-edc-kimber-ultra-carry-ii-45-acp.html

In one post I mentioned that Wiley Clapp proposed as the ideal 10mm defense load which was a 180 gr. JHP at around 1115 FPS, maybe a tad faster because what he was after was 500 Ft/Lbs of KE at the muzzle. This new Federal load is a bit more powerful and uses a 200 gr. HST bullet, but it's a move in the right direction, IMO. With 1130 FPS, this HST load certainly gives a bit more than 500 Ft/Lbs and comes in at 567 Ft/Lbs. The 200 gr. HST also increases Momentum to 1.003 Lb-seconds. That is serious Momentum for an auto-pistol cartridge. https://www.ammoland.com/2019/02/fe..._6f6fac3eaa-2fab10eadb-20599765#axzz5gkxTBMlm

The HST JHP design is one of the very best performers. For folks that carry a 10mm pistol, this should be one serious load.;)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MSRP. Hopefully, it will be a good bit less than that but I suspect still more than a buck a round. Right of the top of my head, I can't even think of another auto-pistol round at 1 Lb-second. Even the vaunted .45 ACP 230 gr. +P JHPs at 900 FPS have momentum at .919 Lb-seconds and most of us don't doubt what they're capable of. It's controlling their recoil and being able to accurately place shots that's a big issue, and there are a few loads that are rated higher then 900 FPS.

Notice to that Federal points out that these heavy 200 gr. HSTs are designed to expand without over-pentrating. Once a bullet leaves the body due to over-pentration, it's residual energy is meaningless except for the danger it presents to innocent bystanders. ;)

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I got my reloads of 180gr JHP's up to 1200 fps using Power Pistol out of a Glock 29 and it only cost me about $0.20/round (that's actually a high estimate) which comes out to about 580 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. Best load, though, was 155gr Hornady JHP's over BE-86 at just under 1400fps, delivering 667 ft-lbs of energy - and I know that they were less than $0.20/round :D

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
MSRP. Hopefully, it will be a good bit less than that but I suspect still more than a buck a round. Right of the top of my head, I can't even think of another auto-pistol round at 1 Lb-second. Even the vaunted .45 ACP 230 gr. +P JHPs at 900 FPS have momentum at .919 Lb-seconds and most of us don't doubt what they're capable of. It's controlling their recoil and being able to accurately place shots that's a big issue, and there are a few loads that are rated higher then 900 FPS.

Notice to that Federal points out that these heavy 200 gr. HSTs are designed to expand without over-pentrating. Once a bullet leaves the body due to over-pentration, it's residual energy is meaningless except for the danger it presents to innocent bystanders. ;)
Well at $35/20 rounds it's $1.75. I bumped it down to be generous.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Don't have a 10mm pistola anymore but I could shoot it out of my Hi Point carbine for giggles.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well at $35/20 rounds it's $1.75. I bumped it down to be generous.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I understand. Hope retail prices are more generous than Federal's MSRP. The more I thought about it, this load reminds me of a larger version of the load I made in 9mm with the 147 gr. HSTs at around 1125 FPS, and I have no doubt about them.;)

Reactions: stupimlico

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
I got my reloads of 180gr JHP's up to 1200 fps using Power Pistol out of a Glock 29 and it only cost me about $0.20/round (that's actually a high estimate) which comes out to about 580 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. Best load, though, was 155gr Hornady JHP's over BE-86 at just under 1400fps, delivering 667 ft-lbs of energy - and I know that they were less than $0.20/round :D
I would need to go down to the Lab-or-a tory and see exactly what my self defense loads are but seems like its 150 Gr JHP at say about 1300-1350 FPS, a modern hollow point of course.
all my 10 MM are 4.7 inch to 5 inch barrels as well.
and of course those 10 mm are cheaper to load than a self defense round in the 45 acp using a 200 grain projectile.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
Man, bet that rounds a butt-kicker!
well after all it is a 10 MM and not a 40 short and weak!
I am a speed merchant that's why I like the 38 super as well.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
well after all it is a 10 MM and not a 40 short and weak!
I am a speed merchant that's why I like the 38 super as well.
I own a Glock 29 , Glock 20 , Glock 27 and two Glock 23's

I like the 10mm , and Underwood Ammo ... But the 40 S&W definitely has a place in my carry rotation... The 27 loaded with 180gr HST is my everyday carry ...

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I own 2 10mm 1911's, one a Colt and the other a Remington 6" Hunter. I might buy a box to test, but my test subjects just have them go right through. Ground Hogs and Coyote's aren't very heavily constructed. Also, "NO WAY!" I'd test them on a feral pig. I've seen JHP stop short in pigs other than .44 Mag and .454. However, I plan on hunting deer with one of them.

Maloy

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
I would use a 10 MM on a Pig with the right load and projectile.
never shot a feral hog but have shot 3 true Boar , the largest was 351 pounder, he didn't take kindly being shot either.
course where we hunted ( very north tenn and south Kentiucky mountains) we hunted from the ground and with dawgs, so you needed to be a pretty good shot and fast on your feet at times.
anyway I used a 41 Magnum back during those days with a non expanding truncated 200 grain projectile.
it woudl poke holes completely through the hogs almost everytime.
no way would i use a expanding point projectile--especailly if on the ground, the 351 pounder took three 41 mag rounds to finally put him down, the first one was broadside and got the heart and a lung upon field dressing him, the second was a charging head shot that hit him in the neck, then the finishing shot to put him out of his misery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts