Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes... I have one.

I picked up an NEF Handi Rifle in .500 Magnum a couple weeks back, along with three boxes of ammo (Magtech 400 and 275 grain, and Federal 275 (Barnes bullet)).

I've only had time to put a dozen rounds down range so far, but man, what a blast! (Pun intended).

This thing is a feral hog's worst nightmare! ;D

Right now it has the factory adjustable "Fire" sights... I'll have to think some on what kind of optics might be best for this little cannon!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whats the range on that thang? What kinda of kick should one expect ( I know it will have some, but is the gun heavy enough to take some of the kick away).

·
Registered
297 Posts
Is it ported or have a muzzle brake on it? That has got to be a beast to shoot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wish they would have it in a barrel only kit for my 1871 buff classic .
Thanks, still thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
It's definitely something I'd like to have to go with my RB .500. Too bad I have a few other purchases ahead on the list I want first.

·
Registered
73 Posts
those things are sweet! I should get one, only $225 at wally world!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
are these single shots? i seen a lot of nef guns that was single shots.

i hate single shots.. i must admit one in 500 S&W does raise a eye brow though.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of most single shots. Definitely not a fan of single shot shotguns but for the Handi-Rifle in 500 S&W Magnum, I'd gladly make an exception.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Ive been looking for one in 500s&w cant find one ,seen one in 45-70 may pick it up this week

·
Super Moderator
35,598 Posts
I like single shots, simple, nothing could be simpler. They can be reloaded rather rapidly, too, with a round in the off hand. I wear a butt cuff on my wrist when hunting with my .30-30 Contender pistol, ammo is right there when I fire. The thing is so accurate, I never have needed a second shot, though. But, I can reload it post haste.

I just bought a 10 gauge H&R for goose hunting, primarily. I started goose hunting many years ago with a single barrel Iver Johnson 16 gauge. I have repeaters, but break open guns, doubles and single shots are favorites of mine. A coach gun does guard duty in my bedroom, not a pump.

I wouldn't mind a single shot rifle, but I don't own one. I think I'd go with a .45-70 before the .500 S&W if I wanted a big caliber, though. Chamber a .45-70 in a strong gun like a Ruger number one and you can push it to near .458 Win Mag levels. I really don't need such a cannon, though. My .308 is a decent hog gitter right out past 300 yards. I also have a 7 mag for what the .308 won't take care of, but I rarely use it anymore. It tears the HELL out of meat on medium sized game. Someday I'd like to go after elk or maybe a King Ranch nilgai with it.

But, that NEF shotgun has got me thinkin' about a handi-rifle. They are great values and can be made into 1MOA rifles. I don't really need another rifle, though, and mostly when I do grab one to go hunting, it's the .308 Remington bolt gun, a stainless M7 with a 2x10x40 Weaver in Millett mounts and rings. I think a Handi rifle in .22-250 would be kinda fun, but what I'd use it for, I'm not sure. LOL Neat that it is offered in .500 S&W, though, because it's way cool to fire the same ammo in your rifle as in your handgun. I do that with my various .357 revolvers and my Rossi 92 .357 lever carbine. The .500 has a, um, bit more whop than .357, LOL.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
The single shot are great ,I have the H&R in a 20 ga shotgun and love it ,and for $120 you cant beat it .I think for price of ammo the 45-70 might be a better deal as well . Most of the handi rifles can be had for $220-$240 the other reason I like them too

·
Registered
49 Posts
The NEF in a 45/70 is one heck of a nice rifle.For some reason the 45/70 and 30/30 NEF's seem to have the best accuracy.That's not to say that other calibers in that rifle aren't accurate.
Several of the NEF models are problematic.I have an ultra lite weight .243 that I finally gave up on in the accuracy department.
For the money they are quite a bargain.

Stan

·
Registered
29,963 Posts
9x19,

Have you ran any loads through a chonograph to see what kind of velocities you're getting in that rifle length barrel?

MOONDAWG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.