Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Yep, completely agree. I've got a 400 yard limit just due to the variables involved and that I don't get a lot of practice at this sort of shooting any more. There's no place to set up such a range around here in the woods. I did used to have a lot of practice at 300 yards when I was a member of a club that had such a range.
This is where I used to do the Mile Shoot..

From behind the firing point...

and the target ranges..

·
Administrator
35,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I finally took her out to the range yesterday. Could only shoot at the 50 yard range, I'll try for 100 yard next time. My bore sighter worked really well, only took a couple of minutes to dial it in the rest of the way. I'm very happy with the results. I'm showing just one of the groupings, they were all pretty similar to this after I dialed it in, nice tight groupings of about an inch, some better, at 50 yards. I shot my Hornady Spire 150 gr. loads as well as my Hornady 178 gr. FTX loadings. The FTX were loaded HOT - over 3,200 fps according to the book. You could definitely tell a difference when you shot these. I can't wait to fire this rifle again, at longer distance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,970 Posts
My long distance shooting was done, mainly, on military ranges civilian clubs have access to but also at Bisley (home of the original NRA) were they have ranges up to 1200m. The military ranges are not, formerly, called 'ranges', they are referred to as Field Firing Areas. The one I used most was good for anything up to shoulder fired anti-tank, 3 inch mortar, 20mm and 40mm canon, with the furthest point being out at 4000m. That was back in the day when I shot .50 cal; retirement meant it became too costly to shoot. Back then it was costing me around $6.00 per round for reloaded ammo.!!
I assisted in winning the Ashburton Shield for my school at Bisley!

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Just put my new Magpul stock on my Rem. 700 30-06. Bedded the Lug and got everything tightened to spec. Going to sight in next saturday at my new Club. View attachment 474447

That's nice... verrrrrry nice. The over-size bolt knob, is it Badger Ordnance?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Update. Shot 20 rounds at 100 yards and was all over the paper.:mad: Not sure what is happening. Was able to shoot sub moa with this rifle with factory wood stock and a cheapo 3x-9 Simmons scope with same ammo.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Put it back in the wood stock and see what happens, you can then eliminate or not whether it is new stock. Also check scope rail, rings which I am sure you are aware of, but it is a process of elimination, you will get it figured out.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
This is where I used to do the Mile Shoot..

From behind the firing point...

View attachment 474385

and the target ranges..

View attachment 474386
Nice place to shoot, I like it. I was out yesterday back to Thunder Valley Precision, weather was great for December in Ohio, hit 60 degrees. Had a pretty consistent wind from 6 o'clock blowing straight down range, at 1 mile I was shooting 2 less MOA's than normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Nice place to shoot, I like it. I was out yesterday back to Thunder Valley Precision, weather was great for December in Ohio, hit 60 degrees. Had a pretty consistent wind from 6 o'clock blowing straight down range, at 1 mile I was shooting 2 less MOA's than normal.
That looks a very tidy range.. very impressed indeed.

Reactions: oso

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I've been thinking of replacing my Winchester 670 in .30-06. It too is having extraction issues. It's been an incredibly accurate rifle and is a joy to shoot, it just isn't pretty and I have to run it as a single shot.

Your Savage sounds like a good choice. Thanks for sharing.

I think Mossberg came out with a .308 bolt gun that uses AR mags. Was considering something like this but have not seen any reviews. Would be hard to give up. 30-06 though. I know .308 is almost the same but it's almost.

Reactions: texastaurusguy
21 - 32 of 32 Posts