Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
35,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to buy a new long distance rifle. I have a Marlin XL-7 in 30.06 and it was a pretty darn good rifle....until I let somebody borrow it to go hunting with. On that trip, somebody dropped a 308 round into the chamber and managed to get it to fire. I had to replace the extractor and it worked okay for a while, but now it's not working again and I've relegated the rifle to project status. I was at Walmart north of here and I saw that they have Savage Axis rifles in stock. I bought one in 30.06 (of course) for $260 out the door.

The barrel is a matte stainless, which amazes me because of how inexpensive the rifle was. I've removed the scope from the Marlin and I had to order a scope mount rail for the new rifle. It should be here next week. After that, I can mount the scope on the new rifle and take her out to the range.

Here are just a couple of pics, I'll post up more after I get the scope put on.

-

Attachments

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I have a Savage Axis in .223 Remington, and with the right load, it will group MOA all day. Nothing special with a scope on it either. I think with better glass, I could tighten those groups up even more.

Congratulations on that shiny new 06'! ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
I had to buy a new long distance rifle. I have a Marlin XL-7 in 30.06 and it was a pretty darn good rifle....until I let somebody borrow it to go hunting with. On that trip, somebody dropped a 308 round into the chamber and managed to get it to fire. I had to replace the extractor and it worked okay for a while, but now it's not working again and I've relegated the rifle to project status. I was at Walmart north of here and I saw that they have Savage Axis rifles in stock. I bought one in 30.06 (of course) for $260 out the door.

The barrel is a matte stainless, which amazes me because of how inexpensive the rifle was. I've removed the scope from the Marlin and I had to order a scope mount rail for the new rifle. It should be here next week. After that, I can mount the scope on the new rifle and take her out to the range.

-
I bought almost the exact same rifle. Savage 110 (not an Axis with the accutrigger) came with 30X scope and in 30-06 and, yah, it was around $240 OTD. Have it zeroed at exactly cutting out the bullseye with one shot at 100 yards. Thus far, I shoot Remington 60grain Accubond.

I didn't scope it for super long distance and only ranged it at 100 yards because I rarely ever get a wide open shot in excess of 100 yards. There are a few clear cut Right of ways cut for electric lines but these aren't on the land I have access to hunt on. And this is why I used 44 MAG for the brush in my area; it will not be deflected by limbs and leaves like spired projectiles are.

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Super Moderator
36,024 Posts
Congrats on the new bolt gun. Now I want one. Thanks...thanks a lot. :D

·
Administrator
35,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got the new rail for my Savage. Ordered it last week and immediately went from an overnight Amazon delivery to one week. Go figure. I was reluctant to order it because the picture of it was obviously not the right one, but sure enough they sent the exact rail I needed, it fit perfectly, the holes were spaced apart correctly and it's installed. Put my scope from the old rifle on it. It's just a Simmons scope but it holds zero good and that's about all I can ask.

-

Attachments

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Yeah, looks good! I have some Simmons scopes on rimfires, but I can wager that it will take a beating on that .30-06 though.

·
Administrator
35,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, looks good! I have some Simmons scopes on rimfires, but I can wager that it will take a beating on that .30-06 though.

It did pretty well on the Marlin 30.06 it used to ride on. If it needs replacing, I'll probably take a look at Burris.

·
Administrator
17,799 Posts
Congratulations on your new .30/06 Savage Axis Rifle and may it serve you well! 🆒 :)

I've heard very good things about Savage Rifles and would recommend them to anyone.

Also, I have two of the old Japanese made World Class Simmons 3x-9x-32mm Scopes on High Powered Rifles, one of which is my Mauser Mark X in .30/06, and it has NEVER failed me or lost Zero. I have seriously hunted with that Rifle in Southern Arizona, Northern Colorado, Southwest Missouri, and Northern California. With all that traveling, and some roads were pretty rough, that Scope retained it's Zero and the Bullets arrived on Target, always. May your Simmons Scope provide you as reliable a service.

·
Registered
144 Posts

-
Very nice! I read great reviews on those rifles. Didn't realize, until I saw your pics, they sport an accu trigger. Should be a great shooter/looker at an unbelievable low price.

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
See, this is why I have loaner guns, milsurps. If they don't want a milsurp, they can go buy a rifle. I loan a rifle to my pastor occasionally, my Savage in 7 mag. But, I know he takes care of 'em. I even get it back all cleaned, :D He has a .300 mag, but has no place to sight it in. I've offered to sight it in for him on my private range, but I guess it's just easier to borrow one of mine. :rolleyes: We live about 40 miles from town,

·
Administrator
35,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd love to have a range of my own, I still haven't taken the new gun out to the range yet but I probably will next week....it got colder here and it kinda messed up my weekend range plans.

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
I bought my Savage in the early 90s just after they came out from under yet another restructuring. They haven't gone though any of that in a while, now. Mine had welded on (from the factory) Weaver mounts. These were the days before everything had to be tacticool with rails and pistol grips and such. Mine is even pre-accu-trigger. No matter, tuned it to 3 crisp pounds, dropped loctite on the adjustment screws, and I live happy with it. It's accurate, and powerful enough for anything I'll ever have the opportunity to shoot and at any range I'll be shooting. I got it in 7 mag because I like the bullet selection. Love the optic I put on it, old Weatherby Supreme 3x9x44. Sighted zero at 250 yards. :D The gun shoots flat, never over a 3" PBR all the way to 300 yards. It's a little much for the woods here, but better too much than not enough. :D I do have other rifles, though, My favorite is my Remington M7 in .308, light and handy hunting rifle. It's good to be able to enjoy more than one rifle in your collection. :giggle: I've 3 in my collection. I also have my grandpa's .257 Roberts Remington M722. Truth be told, it's all I really need anymore other than it'd been a bit light for the cow elk I shot last year. It's my most accurate, though, shooting 1/2 MOA. I've won a few bench rest shoots with it. :D Not bad for a 60 year old non-tacticool rifle; Heck, it even has a plain Jane wood stock!

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Interesting how two ordinary words mean different things to other people. When I saw this post I thought "Hey ho.. long range shooting", because over here if someone posted on a GB shooting forum a thread titled "New Distance Rifle" most, if not all, members would think they were talking about 1000+meter shooting.

OK, I'll get my coat..:whistle:

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
I don't consider shooting game at 1000 yards/meters to be ethical. Games are different than shooting GAME, though. If I need my computer and a weather station to calculate a firing solution, I'll just get closer. 🤣 I think the movies like "American Sniper" have given a boost to these games. If I had a place to play, I could get into these long range games, too. I see the attraction and fun in it. :D

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I don't consider shooting game at 1000 yards/meters to be ethical. Games are different than shooting GAME, though. If I need my computer and a weather station to calculate a firing solution, I'll just get closer. 🤣 I think the movies like "American Sniper" have given a boost to these games. If I had a place to play, I could get into these long range games, too. I see the attraction and fun in it. :D
I quite agree with you regarding the shooting of game. However it was long distance target shooting I was referring to - apologies for not making that clear. I will say though, in mitigation, I have shot game up to 400m quite a few times and always had clean kills. But I would put that down to the countless hours I've spend shooting 1000+ meters over the last 50+ years. I have had, in the past, a rifle custom built for shooting 1000+m and, on five occasions, shot that rifle to the 1 mile mark.

But, in general terms, shooting game at longer ranges adds so many variables to the equation it does quickly become a question of, as you say, ethics.

Reactions: rodfair

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
I quite agree with you regarding the shooting of game. However it was long distance target shooting I was referring to - apologies for not making that clear. I will say though, in mitigation, I have shot game up to 400m quite a few times and always had clean kills. But I would put that down to the countless hours I've spend shooting 1000+ meters over the last 50+ years. I have had, in the past, a rifle custom built for shooting 1000+m and, on five occasions, shot that rifle to the 1 mile mark,

But, in general terms, shooting game at longer ranges adds so many variables to the equation it does quickly become a question of, as you say, ethics.re
Yep, completely agree. I've got a 400 yard limit just due to the variables involved and that I don't get a lot of practice at this sort of shooting any more. There's no place to set up such a range around here in the woods. I did used to have a lot of practice at 300 yards when I was a member of a club that had such a range.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Yep, completely agree. I've got a 400 yard limit just due to the variables involved and that I don't get a lot of practice at this sort of shooting any more. There's no place to set up such a range around here in the woods. I did used to have a lot of practice at 300 yards when I was a member of a club that had such a range.
My long distance shooting was done, mainly, on military ranges civilian clubs have access to but also at Bisley (home of the original NRA) were they have ranges up to 1200m. The military ranges are not, formerly, called 'ranges', they are referred to as Field Firing Areas. The one I used most was good for anything up to shoulder fired anti-tank, 3 inch mortar, 20mm and 40mm canon, with the furthest point being out at 4000m. That was back in the day when I shot .50 cal; retirement meant it became too costly to shoot. Back then it was costing me around $6.00 per round for reloaded ammo.!!

Reactions: rodfair
1 - 20 of 32 Posts