Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to buy a new long distance rifle. I have a Marlin XL-7 in 30.06 and it was a pretty darn good rifle....until I let somebody borrow it to go hunting with. On that trip, somebody dropped a 308 round into the chamber and managed to get it to fire. I had to replace the extractor and it worked okay for a while, but now it's not working again and I've relegated the rifle to project status. I was at Walmart north of here and I saw that they have Savage Axis rifles in stock. I bought one in 30.06 (of course) for $260 out the door.

The barrel is a matte stainless, which amazes me because of how inexpensive the rifle was. I've removed the scope from the Marlin and I had to order a scope mount rail for the new rifle. It should be here next week. After that, I can mount the scope on the new rifle and take her out to the range.

Here are just a couple of pics, I'll post up more after I get the scope put on.

-

Attachments

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I have a Savage Axis in .223 Remington, and with the right load, it will group MOA all day. Nothing special with a scope on it either. I think with better glass, I could tighten those groups up even more.

Congratulations on that shiny new 06'! ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,632 Posts
I had to buy a new long distance rifle. I have a Marlin XL-7 in 30.06 and it was a pretty darn good rifle....until I let somebody borrow it to go hunting with. On that trip, somebody dropped a 308 round into the chamber and managed to get it to fire. I had to replace the extractor and it worked okay for a while, but now it's not working again and I've relegated the rifle to project status. I was at Walmart north of here and I saw that they have Savage Axis rifles in stock. I bought one in 30.06 (of course) for $260 out the door.

The barrel is a matte stainless, which amazes me because of how inexpensive the rifle was. I've removed the scope from the Marlin and I had to order a scope mount rail for the new rifle. It should be here next week. After that, I can mount the scope on the new rifle and take her out to the range.

Here are just a couple of pics, I'll post up more after I get the scope put on.

-
I bought almost the exact same rifle. Savage 110 (not an Axis with the accutrigger) came with 30X scope and in 30-06 and, yah, it was around $240 OTD. Have it zeroed at exactly cutting out the bullseye with one shot at 100 yards. Thus far, I shoot Remington 60grain Accubond.

I didn't scope it for super long distance and only ranged it at 100 yards because I rarely ever get a wide open shot in excess of 100 yards. There are a few clear cut Right of ways cut for electric lines but these aren't on the land I have access to hunt on. And this is why I used 44 MAG for the brush in my area; it will not be deflected by limbs and leaves like spired projectiles are.

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Super Moderator
35,529 Posts
Congrats on the new bolt gun. Now I want one. Thanks...thanks a lot. :D

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got the new rail for my Savage. Ordered it last week and immediately went from an overnight Amazon delivery to one week. Go figure. I was reluctant to order it because the picture of it was obviously not the right one, but sure enough they sent the exact rail I needed, it fit perfectly, the holes were spaced apart correctly and it's installed. Put my scope from the old rifle on it. It's just a Simmons scope but it holds zero good and that's about all I can ask.

-

Attachments

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One last pic. And yes, I cleaned the Loctite off the stock afterward. :D

-

Attachments

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Yeah, looks good! I have some Simmons scopes on rimfires, but I can wager that it will take a beating on that .30-06 though.

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, looks good! I have some Simmons scopes on rimfires, but I can wager that it will take a beating on that .30-06 though.

It did pretty well on the Marlin 30.06 it used to ride on. If it needs replacing, I'll probably take a look at Burris.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts