Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
current raiting 0/5 0/10 0/99 (lower would be better) here is why:

To make a kinda long story long:
first saw the circuit judge last year and thought it was a neat looking gun. I change careers and could afford one this past march. needless to say i read many many reviews on the firearm while waiting on my finances to even out so i could pick it up. After i got the rifle it sat in my closet for two weeks before i had time to get to the range. early last month i had a weekend off so i took my dad out to the range to show it. (i'm 28 years old and my father hasn't shot in 28 years or so). first time out it was an absolute blast. i loved the weight, the way it pulls to your shoulder and the double action, accuracy was so so, but i blame that on my shooting skills and not the actual fire arm. we shot 40 rounds of 45 long colt and 10 2 1/2" bird shot and 10 3' bird shot (.410 choke for the birdshot). got it home and cleaned it out.
my friend who was also looking at picking one up wanted to try it out. we picked up another box of 50 45 lc and headed to the range. we installed the 45lc choke tub(smooth one) he shot the remaining 10 shots from the 1st box and we split 15 from the new box. clearly he liked it and was just getting better for him. we swapped out the choke and he loaded up the 3" bird shot. 1's shot was good. that is were out day at the range got bad. His second shot the stock shattered behind the action sending wooden fragments into his face. we are responsible with fire arms and thank god his goggles took the brunt of the fragments. the crack was from behind the hammer and straight down the middle and another crack around the grips. i was quite surprised as this was a bran new rifle 2 months old with 76 rounds down the barrel. after i got home i called rossi, it was a sunday and they were closed, did get a weird message from their answering machine. so i looked up circuit judge and cracked stocks. To my surprise, and some digging i found that other people had reported the cracked stock, but could not find others with my experiance. so i called them this morning and the first lady blew me off, told me to ship the rifle, at my expense, and "when" they got stocks on they would replace it and ship it back, she told me this would be about a month. unhappy with this i called this evening and talked to susan in the customer service department. she apologized about the gun and said that they could ship out a new stock "when" they get in, (could be a few weeks) and would pay to ship back my broken stock. she was a bit better but i am still quite upset about this situation. also to note that neither asked if my friend was ok. honestly i am not sure why this happend but my trust in their quality control is greatly diminished. NEW PICS:
2012-05-01_21-54-22_773.jpg 2012-05-01_21-54-59_115.jpg 2012-05-01_21-55-27_149.jpg 2012-05-01_21-55-46_38.jpg 2012-05-01_21-55-59_506.jpg 2012-05-01_21-55-46_38.jpg
first one is with the piece put back in that entire middle piece (on the floor second pic) bounced off my friends safety glasses. the two cracks split horizontally the left upper area of the grip was unaffected, the right side was cracked all the way but is still attached on its own (3rd pic). Does any one have any idea how this could have happened? the piece is about the size of a quarter. the loads that have been shot have all been factory Remington.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net. :wave:

I've never heard of this happening with a long gun; but I'm glad to learn that no one was injured during this episode.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they took my friends name and number yesterday at 830am and promised him a call back from a supervisor within 36 hours, he is still waiting

·
Registered
13,875 Posts
I have read of a few problems with the wood cracking issues, but never one where it blew into splinters. Maybe this is why the CJ is now available in a poly style material stock. I wonder if the stocks would be interchangable, I wouln't know why not. Maybe you could get Rossi to do a swap, unless you like the wood look...I know I prefer wood over plastics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
susan said they could replace it with a poly stock, however she said that the poly stock is much shorter (didn't know how much) and also they didn't have them in...makes me question them more as i would assume that customer service would have basic tech info on the firearms. also how do you manufacture firearms with no stocks...in stock

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Wow, that's amazing. Like someone else said, glad no one was hurt. BTW, is there any reason you can't take it back to your LGS and ask for a refund or an exchange? I had a problem with a pistol recently, and after checking it, my LGS said they would replace it no questions asked if I still had issues. The owner said it is not their policy to stick customers with problem guns.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just got back from taking it in. the local sporting outfit said they will handle the shipping back, . but that still doesn't make it better that rossi doesn't seem to care about their consumers as far as customer service goes. what concerns me the most is the number of cj's out there and possible safety issues with this stock. i was kinda tempted to call a local news station to put pressure on them for some research and possible safety recall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Especially with factory ammo, and .410 at that. But the forum i filled out had. My name and phone number on it. Hopefully some one will get back to me.

·
Registered
13,875 Posts
Just an observation from looking at the photos, which by the way...thank you for posting them. If you look close it appears that the stock did not shatter as it may have seemed to have done. The break lines follow the grain pattern of the wood pretty well. The center section what broke loose from the crack looks to be more of a break free piece of wood. It is also a fairly thin section at the point.
I tried to find on line what kind of wood Rossi used/or is using to make the stocks out of, but was unable to locate anything. It is pretty clear that it is not walnut or any other dark wood. I know that my CJ feels pretty light, making me think that it is not a dense heavy hard wood. It would be interesting to know the kind of wood used. It the stock not fit snug against the frame of the CJ I could see where it would not take too many recoil shots to the wood to cause the wood to split.
The poly may be a safe bet, but it is hard to beat the beauty of wood....even wood with out a pronouced pattern. And give the number of post with cracking stock butts on the CJ, I don't think it is a model run defect....more of a "It Happens" kind of problem. Should QC have caught it problem before it was shipped out. Most likely not, since the OP (owner) didn't catch it either....and we all know how hard we inspect our new guns before firing them.
Could I accept this explaination if it were me rather than the OP......I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I've a levergun nut, with two Rossi Rio Grandes and two Rossi 92s, plus a full stable of Marlin leverguns. I'm really not interested in non-levergun actions but the Circuit Judge caught my attention for some reason. I would pick up the rifle in the various shops I visited and it slowly grew on me. I really wanted the 44 Mag because it has a proper handgun cylinder, I have no interest in shooting shot shells, but believe that cartridge offering in the CJ to be one of the "pipe dreams" that we see so often in the Taurus/Rossi catalogs. Most often I see it said that people intend to use it as a home defense weapon but I wanted it for a truck/tractor gun here on the ranch. The 45 Colt, even at SAAMI spec, is quite capable of dispatching feral hogs inside 50 yards. Curiosity got the best of me, I finally traded my dealer a rifle I was not using for the CJ.

The Circuit Judge ended up with the shortest time of property of any of the 79 long guns I've owned. It lasted one range session. In that 4 hours I shot 200 rounds of ammo through it but found the extra 1.4" of cylinder length negatively influencing the projectile because of it's unnecessary freebore. 50-yard accuracy was very disappointing, the worst I've ever seen shot.

For those of you that are considering this as a self defense weapon, take my experience with the CJ into consideration. During the course of that 200 rounds, not that you would shoot that much in a SD situation, I complete singed the hair off my supporting arm and singed the skin on my face. The "blow" from this revolver sitting next to your face is a CONSIDERATION. I received multiple punctures from burnt powder particles in my arm and a small bit of copper had to be dug out, a piece of a gas check that departed the bullet at the forcing cone. That is the result of sending a projectile down a huge amount of freebore, jumping a gap, and then forcing it into the bore. Good luck with stability. When I think of home defense, I think of the bump in the night waking me, picking up the CJ sitting next to the bed, and possibly shooting an intruder. I doubt that you will put on shooting glasses and the fire ring generated by the first shot will destroy your vision in the dark. The last shot of my range session, a particle of burnt powder somehow penetrated my lower lip. Dang that hurt and for two days I looked like some dude had punched me in the mouth.

The finish on the rifle was very nice, pretty wood and deep bluing. Braztech did manage to drill both of the front site mount screws completely through the barrel. The forward hole didn't matter that much as it is in the area of the choke sleeve but the aft hole did matter. That hole just couldn't have passed through the flat of a land or the bore, no it had to pass through the edge of both creating a ragged hole. I'm a competent home gunsmith and lapped the hole smooth while retaining the edge of the rifling. I'm sure that this might influence the ultimate accuracy but the freebore created by the 410 cylinder creates much bigger issues. Also of note was that after this range session the once pretty forearm was burnt from the gap flash and a hairline crack had started in the butt stock, only about 1/4" long, in the area that the OP identifies and where many others have found theirs. If I would have kept the rifle, I would have insisted on both a barrel and stock change but instead it sits on my dealer's consignment rack.

I have since been in touch with a couple of fellows that are successfully dealing with the 410/45LC cylinders but they are using 9.3X74R brass. I do not see that as an attractive alternative at $1.50 to $2 a case. It is a shame, that Taurus insists on the 410 cylinder on a 45 Colt. They did it right with the 450 and that handgun is one of my most prized possessions.

Be very careful in your consideration of this firearm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just an update... rossi told me that it would be 6-8 weeks turnaround. i called them today to check, its been 9weeks, and they said to call back in 2-3 weeks if it hadn't been shipped back by then. i'm still trying to figure out why or how it takes 10-11 weeks to put on a new stock.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Man, that really sucks! I would call them back shortly, next day or two, and ask them the same question

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just called them back at 630pm eastern, seems like they combined customer service with taurus and actually picked up after hours. i spoke with Ryan, who by the way was the 1st person there to apologize and ask if my friend was ok. but he looked at the history and wasn't sure why it is taking so long. he promised to elevate to a supervisor and return a call tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The progress detailed in this thread makes me glad I was able to get rid of my CJ. I get asked about a lot of guns through my business and do not recommend this firearms as it has quite a few issues based on design. In a nutshell, it's a mess.

I was in Academy a few weeks ago and I heard a fellow who was looking at a CJ ask if any had come back and the sales person said "no". I spoke up and said, "wait a minute, Academy does not accept returns. You will have to send it back to Braztech" and explained my experience and that of several others that I've been personally involved with. I did get the evil eye from the gun guy but he was misrepresenting the answer although he was telling the truth. None have come back because they don't take them back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As of 13 Aug 12, I was advised that the synthetic stocks for the CJ Tuffy.45/.410 & the CJ 22LR [which is a bit longer] were interchangeable, however, they were not available for sale at this time. Have to keep checking for availability.
susan said they could replace it with a poly stock, however she said that the poly stock is much shorter (didn't know how much) and also they didn't have them in...makes me question them more as i would assume that customer service would have basic tech info on the firearms. also how do you manufacture firearms with no stocks...in stock

1 - 20 of 30 Posts