Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. I recently had to part with my 24/7 g2c which was my daily carry. The wife doesn’t carry anymore so I’m carrying her bodyguard in mean time.

Our hospital foundation has a event 2 times per year where u can get a bass pro gift card up to 500 and have pay roll deducted over 8 paychecks. Kind of a interest free credit deal ha! So I am partaking of this venture. I have kind of limited myself to the guns available in the alien gear holster category of the newest line which isn’t many. I’ve gotten it down to the two listed below. Please any input available on any who own or have owned the following guns. No bashing haha just pros and cons.

S&W M&P Shield M2.0 compact

SCCY CPX-2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
jturner3 said it all for me. The G2C is the gun Taurus always wanted to produce. It is reliable, accurate, sturdy, and affordable. Imhave near 2000range rounds through the first one I bought, and I have not had single malfunction of any kind. I bought a second one to be there in case I have to repair the first one or lose possession of it for other reasons. I have 500 rounds through it without any kind of malfunction. Convinced the G2C was my gun of preference I sold mynRM380, Lc9s, and SD9VE. I have two guns now and both are G2C 9mm. If you ask would I trustnmynlike to the G2C, I would answer not only would I but I actually do. I carry one everyday.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
One of my favorite single stacks is the Walther CCP. They now have an improved model that is easier to take down and a smoother trigger. The older models are being found around $280 new.

Maloy

·
Super Moderator
40,332 Posts
I am carrying the S & W M & P Compact in 45 ACP today. Single stack 6 + 1 in the holster and 2 x 7 in the mag holder weak side. Never handled the 9mm version, but the 45 ACP is very close in size to the PT 111 G2 at 12 +1. Both disappear in the Alien Gear IWB holster.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Has not been mentioned but Kel-Tec PF-9 single stack is probably the slimmest of all firearms mentioned in the OP post.They work are not expensive and conceal extremely well,My son has one for over 3 years and not FTFs or FTEs ! Just another option for you to consider.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
SCCY

SCCY makes two models of 9mm semi-autos, the CPX-1 and the CPX-2. The only difference between them is that the CPX-1 has an external manual safety, and the CPX-2 does not; the idea being that the long, firm (9 lbs) trigger pull is safety enough for preventing accidental discharge (much like a revolver).

My first concealed carry gun was a SCCY CPX-1. Bought it for $250. It had all I wanted: looked good, felt good, 10-round magazine, easy to break down & clean, Double-Action only (DAO) trigger, and a manual safety.

After using the CPX-1 for several months, I wished I had gotten the CPX-2. The manual safety on the CPX-1 is too light & flimsy, and occasionally shifts ON after a shot. Also, I now agree that the long/firm trigger pull is safety enough. Additionally, the raised ridge that protects the manual safety sometimes rubs the base of my thumb causing a blister after along day at the range.
It's a good gun though, and it shoots very well. It requires a small tool to remove the pin that holds the slide when you break it down, but is designed so that the base of an empty shell can be used to remove the pin. Smart!

I decided to get another carry gun as a backup, in case something happened to my SCCY. I wanted a different gun than the SCCY, in case there was a recall for some reason. I bought a Taurus PT-111 G2. It also felt good, looked good, had two more rounds in the magazine than the SCCY, and had a much better safety (firm & crisp, but not too hard). It didn't take long before the Taurus became my Primary carry weapon, and the SCCY is now the backup.

If the PT-111 G2 only had a de-cocker, it would be perfect!

Never shot the Shield.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Ok from 12 round capacity to 7 aint no deal for me irregardless of weight difference. Single stacks in my opinion waste of money, What is said FBI states most encounters are only a few rounds, so tell me is that why the FBI and Cops carry Full size hi capacity? What it looks cool. North Hollywood Feb. 28th 1997 just a few rounds, haahahahahahahahahahah, Well FBI, Law Enforcement I am calling you out.

·
Registered
902 Posts
SCCY

SCCY makes two models of 9mm semi-autos, the CPX-1 and the CPX-2. The only difference between them is that the CPX-1 has an external manual safety, and the CPX-2 does not; the idea being that the long, firm (9 lbs) trigger pull is safety enough for preventing accidental discharge (much like a revolver).

My first concealed carry gun was a SCCY CPX-1. Bought it for $250. It had all I wanted: looked good, felt good, 10-round magazine, easy to break down & clean, Double-Action only (DAO) trigger, and a manual safety.

After using the CPX-1 for several months, I wished I had gotten the CPX-2. The manual safety on the CPX-1 is too light & flimsy, and occasionally shifts ON after a shot. Also, I now agree that the long/firm trigger pull is safety enough. Additionally, the raised ridge that protects the manual safety sometimes rubs the base of my thumb causing a blister after along day at the range.
It's a good gun though, and it shoots very well. It requires a small tool to remove the pin that holds the slide when you break it down, but is designed so that the base of an empty shell can be used to remove the pin. Smart!

I decided to get another carry gun as a backup, in case something happened to my SCCY. I wanted a different gun than the SCCY, in case there was a recall for some reason. I bought a Taurus PT-111 G2. It also felt good, looked good, had two more rounds in the magazine than the SCCY, and had a much better safety (firm & crisp, but not too hard). It didn't take long before the Taurus became my Primary carry weapon, and the SCCY is now the backup.

If the PT-111 G2 only had a de-cocker, it would be perfect!

Never shot the Shield.
Looks like you and I followed the same path. Bought a CPX-2 first. Still have it and still like it a lot. But then I bought a PT-111 G2 and, well, I like the Taurus A LOT BETTER. Seems to fit my hand better than the SCCY, holds 2 more rounds, about the same size...and my G2 has been very reliable other than 2 failures to fire in the first year....and the one round that I checked before using the 2nd strike ability had a heck of a dent in the primer so I am confident both failures were ammo related (same ammo bought at the same time although different boxes). PT111-G2 and the Shield were both in contention for my next gun at the time that I opted for the Taurus. The Shield is a fine weapon. A buddy has one and I have shot it quite a bit, but the Taurus was a better fit for me as I am not a big fan of single-stack autos. They don't feel as comfortable in my hand as a double-stack does.

I have had a few minor issues with my SCCY....the one that is still there is the 'walking' frame pins. Even that doesn't show up until I have fired close to 30 or more rounds and they don't walk out enough to disable the gun.

·
Registered
37,586 Posts
of the two that you mention i would opt for the Shild myself, the weapons fit my hands well and are ergonomic for me.
that being said in the 500 buck price line I might take a look at a 1911 Commander or Officer model in 9 MM if thats your choice or a 45 acp.
don't get much flatter than these and easy to carry extra mags as well.
commander in 9 MM should be around 10 rounds, in the officer 7-8 rounds.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
of the two that you mention i would opt for the Shild myself, the weapons fit my hands well and are ergonomic for me.
that being said in the 500 buck price line I might take a look at a 1911 Commander or Officer model in 9 MM if thats your choice or a 45 acp.
don't get much flatter than these and easy to carry extra mags as well.
commander in 9 MM should be around 10 rounds, in the officer 7-8 rounds.
Hmmm never thought about the 1911s. Grrrrrrnow u making me wonder!!! Hahahahaha well another trip in order. I would like to stick with a 9mm as I have stock in 9mm ammo and the g2c was my only 9mm. I know I know. Easily sold. I’ll have to check alien gear holsters and see if the new platform has any 1911 options. as fat and left handed I have really enjoyed the comfy feel of alien gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.