Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my duck hunting and to give us a way to fish away from shore in some areas when we drag the travel trailer somewhere, I bought this thing at Bass Pro in Katy, Texas yesterday. Got a dolly for it, too, for dragging it to the water's edge.

I have a 36 lb thrust trolling motor for it, but need a new battery or maybe two. They ain't cheap now days. There's a 2 HP gas trolling motor I could get for it, kinda think I might. The trolling motor will have limited range, though I don't plan on taking it more'n a mile or two anywhere I might use it. I have a 16 ft semi V with a 25 Johnson on it for fishing I haven't taken out in a few years, just fire it up on the water hose once in a while to make sure it's in good shape. It won't work for my duck hunting and I can't drag it with the travel trailer, so the canoe seemed like a good idea. Since I'm going to use a motor on it, guess I'll have to get numbers and register it with the state, hate to do that, but hey, cheaper than a ticket from the game warden I guess.

Ascend C156 Canoe with Motor Transom | Bass Pro Shops

Here's the motor I'm thinkin' of putting on it. It's a weed eater type motor with a prop. Now, I've thought of getting the 2.5 HP 2 stroke, but I'm swinging to the 4 stroke 2 HP, more efficient and less worry about crank seals getting old in the future. The one thing that bothers me about the 4 stroke is the tiny oil capacity, but I'll just have to check the oil level every time I go to use it, I guess.

Gas Powered Trolling Motors

But, i do have paddles and I plan to see if just the electric will work for what I need before I spend money on that gas motor. I think for what I'll do with it, I might not need any more than my paddles and the electric.

·
Registered
13,871 Posts
Very nice, I have a Coleman 17' that we use from time to time. You have many memories yet to be made I'm sure.

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
You'll enjoy that canoe. Is the keel plastic ? I used a 17' Grumman with a side-mount trolling motor for yrs. on the Brazos. Yes you do need to get it registered - a Game Warden let me off when he stopped me. I named my trolling motor "super paddle" because it was a lifesaver fighting the constant headwind on the river.

·
Registered
31,756 Posts
Good looking transom type canoe, not squared off like the old style transom canoes.

Unless you plan a trip down the Amazon, I think you will find the electric trolling motor more than adequate for anything you will ever do.

I have had a couple of situations where I have had to rely on my trolling motor to get a 16' fish and ski back to the boat ramp after utilizing it all day trolling on a lake with a lot of distance, which I don't see anyone really needing to do with a canoe. When I was in the canoe business (mostly for use on rivers), I did fish out of it on smaller lakes, but never put it on a big lake.

That is a good looking canoe.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
I had a Coleman 15 footer canoe. In any case, I hope you know how to swim and don't ever let it get hydrauliced against a boulder in fast moving water - it will fold faster than Floyd Patterson getting hit in the jaw. LOL

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll enjoy that canoe. Is the keel plastic ? I used a 17' Grumman with a side-mount trolling motor for yrs. on the Brazos. Yes you do need to get it registered - a Game Warden let me off when he stopped me. I named my trolling motor "super paddle" because it was a lifesaver fighting the constant headwind on the river.

Yes, UV stabilized polyethylene I believe. I padded my headache rack in the truck with some pipe insulation and laid it hull down over that and used a ratchet strap to secure it to the headache rack and on the back of it. Road well home from Katy on I10 at 60 mph in the left lane. :D When we drag the trailer, I run 60, the speed limit with a trailer, so I reckon it's fine riding this way. Not hard to load, either, is only 94 lbs. An aluminum canoe would be rougher on my back. :D

I have had a couple of situations where I have had to rely on my trolling motor to get a 16' fish and ski back to the boat ramp after utilizing it all day trolling on a lake with a lot of distance, which I don't see anyone really needing to do with a canoe. When I was in the canoe business (mostly for use on rivers), I did fish out of it on smaller lakes, but never put it on a big lake.
Yeah, I had a foot control 42 lb thrust Minncota on my boat for a long time, would use it all morning and didn't seem to such the battery down that much, but it was being used at low speed to move up and down reefs in the bay. I'm hoping, though, that the motor will be easy on the battery. I can get two batteries for it if I feel the need, cheaper than that gas motor.

We're going to drive to Columbus today to register the thing. I'm filling out the MSO at the moment, have to get TX numbers to stick on the bow.

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, there's a little lake on the Guadalupe my wife's cousin has a lake house on. His house is right next to the RV park, but it's only about an hour drive over there, just the other side of Gonzales. His son fishes the far bank under hyacinth over there and catches bass. Figure that's one place it'll work, small water as lakes go. Then, plan to spend some time down at Indianola chasing reds and trout on Powderhorn Lake. That's popular with the kayak crowd.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Trolling motor? 2 stroke? 4stroke?

Talk about first world problems. Lol "I have a brand new canoe and I can't decide what motor to put on it!" :D:icon_ poke:

Creek

·
Registered
31,756 Posts
That 36 lb thrust will move a canoe pretty good, and the canoe and two people are a small load. I would be very surprised if you need more than one battery. I think one battery was all I ever had on the fish and ski. It's always great not to have to mess with an extra gas engine and mess with the maintenance.

Case in point, I have a large gas tiller, and three small garden areas I have to take the enclosures down on to use. I had bought a small 2-cycle tiller at a garage sale years ago that took up space before I decided to get it running. Spent $37 on a carburetor kit after I found the spark to be okay. After installing the carb kit, I had gas flow and no longer have spark. I don't want to spend $65 on a new coil, and instead just ordered a corded 8.5 amp tiller which will do all I really need to do. I've come to a point I try to keep things simple.

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That 36 lb thrust will move a canoe pretty good, and the canoe and two people are a small load. I would be very surprised if you need more than one battery. I think one battery was all I ever had on the fish and ski. It's always great not to have to mess with an extra gas engine and mess with the maintenance.

Case in point, I have a large gas tiller, and three small garden areas I have to take the enclosures down on to use. I had bought a small 2-cycle tiller at a garage sale years ago that took up space before I decided to get it running. Spent $37 on a carburetor kit after I found the spark to be okay. After installing the carb kit, I had gas flow and no longer have spark. I don't want to spend $65 on a new coil, and instead just ordered a corded 8.5 amp tiller which will do all I really need to do. I've come to a point I try to keep things simple.
I've got a little Mantis tiller which is all I've ever needed until now. Bought it 20+ years ago off a TV ad and it's never needed anything, but gas/oil. I MIGHT have put a spark plug in it, not sure. It always starts and is one heck of a workhorse. It set me back 300 early 90s dollars, but I've sure gotten my money's worth.

Bigger place now, just got a rear tine tiller and a furrower for it. Man, I can turn some dirt, now! LOL!

If you lost fire, might have pinched the ground wire bolting something back on. Put a new plug in it, pull the ground wire. No spark then means bad coil. Yeah, I've worked on a few little two strokes. :D I used to run my ow small engine shop, worked on it all from garden tractors to weed eaters.

But, yeah, I intend to stick with the electric if possible. I pulled the trolling motor out of the shed, turns out I was remembering wrong. My old Minn Cota was 36 lbs, this one's 27. But, should still be enough. I also have a 17 lb thrust motor I bought off a guy because he only wanted 30 bucks for it, ever used it on anything. The 27 lb thrust one worked well on my 16 ft boat, so should do fine on the canoe and maybe it'll be easier on the battery.

·
Registered
31,756 Posts
I've got a little Mantis tiller which is all I've ever needed until now. Bought it 20+ years ago off a TV ad and it's never needed anything, but gas/oil. I MIGHT have put a spark plug in it, not sure. It always starts and is one heck of a workhorse. It set me back 300 early 90s dollars, but I've sure gotten my money's worth.

Bigger place now, just got a rear tine tiller and a furrower for it. Man, I can turn some dirt, now! LOL!

If you lost fire, might have pinched the ground wire bolting something back on. Put a new plug in it, pull the ground wire. No spark then means bad coil. Yeah, I've worked on a few little two strokes. :D I used to run my ow small engine shop, worked on it all from garden tractors to weed eaters.

But, yeah, I intend to stick with the electric if possible. I pulled the trolling motor out of the shed, turns out I was remembering wrong. My old Minn Cota was 36 lbs, this one's 27. But, should still be enough. I also have a 17 lb thrust motor I bought off a guy because he only wanted 30 bucks for it, ever used it on anything. The 27 lb thrust one worked well on my 16 ft boat, so should do fine on the canoe and maybe it'll be easier on the battery.
About all you can't do with the 27 lb thrust is ski behind the canoe.

My little two cycle tiller is an E-Z Hoe (not that kind of hoe) and has the same engine I think the Mantis has, a Tecumseh 200, which are supposed to last forever. I did pull the ground and still no spark. I did buy a new plug when I took on the project, and have even resorted to bare handing it to see if any jolt was there, but none. I need to find my feeler gauge to make sure the coil poles are the right distance from the magnets, and will mess with it a little more and then probably trash it.

Reactions: BigSkiff

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
About all you can't do with the 27 lb thrust is ski behind the canoe.

My little two cycle tiller is an E-Z Hoe (not that kind of hoe) and has the same engine I think the Mantis has, a Tecumseh 200, which are supposed to last forever. I did pull the ground and still no spark. I did buy a new plug when I took on the project, and have even resorted to bare handing it to see if any jolt was there, but none. I need to find my feeler gauge to make sure the coil poles are the right distance from the magnets, and will mess with it a little more and then probably trash it.
Before you trash it, replace the tiny fuel lines from the inside of the tank (and filter) to the carb. Also remove the muffler and dispose of the spark arrester screen. That put mine back in operation.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Very nice canoe indeed! I bet it will come in handy a lot.:thumb::thumb:

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I didn't know you had any navigable water there in Tejas, what with global warming and all!

·
Registered
27,169 Posts
I've used an electric trolling motor on a canoe. It will go pretty close to hull speed (won't plane) and the battery lasts a whole day. Plus you can put the battery fairly far forward and balance the canoe out.

I don't think you need a bigger motor. What you really need is a canoe monkey.

·
Registered
27,169 Posts
I was debating whether to show you my canoe monkey. He never wears any pants, and there is that whole PG-13 thing, but what the heck.

Canoe monkeys rule! Way better than other helper monkeys!

·
Registered
27,169 Posts
It is also important to improve your canoeing skills. One of the first thing to learn is how to get back in the canoe without upsetting it. Or your wife. Without upsetting your wife!

Anyway, start like this:

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't think you need a bigger motor. What you really need is a canoe monkey.
I am assuming you mean the dolly thing I bought that straps under the hull with wheels so I can get it to the water. 65 bucks, but will be the only way I could get it out to the water most places. Tossed it in with the purchase.

Ascend Canoe/Kayak Cart | Bass Pro Shops

Bought a new battery for the motor today. The old one is near the end of its warranty, so I figure I'll try it, but have the new one along as well as the paddle on my first test run. :D

·
Registered
27,169 Posts
I am assuming you mean the dolly thing I bought that straps under the hull with wheels so I can get it to the water. 65 bucks, but will be the only way I could get it out to the water most places. Tossed it in with the purchase.

Ascend Canoe/Kayak Cart | Bass Pro Shops

Bought a new battery for the motor today. The old one is near the end of its warranty, so I figure I'll try it, but have the new one along as well as the paddle on my first test run. :D
No, no, a monkey! :D

But as far as carts go, I have found that the bigger the wheels, the better. Small diameter wheels are hard to pull over rough ground.
Take a look at the Salamander carts. They have one with 16" wheels.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts