Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i received a check in the mail that i've been waiting for today, and decided that i needed to hit the gun shop for a cruising of the cases. Since i've been after a revolver for a while, i decided to browse their selection of fine Taurus firearms. Much to my surprise, i ran across a diamond in the rough that satisfied two of my needs.

After dropping $326 OTD, i am now the proud owner of a beautiful Taurus 405. 5-shot .40 cal. that feels absolutely great in the hand. Of the 3 major (9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP) carry calibers, i had not picked up a .40 yet. And being in a revolver makes it even better. It came with it's box and appears to have very little use on it. The star still looks to be in good condition and the trigger pull is crisp in DA and almost hair-like in SA. Now i have to get it home, clean it deep down and get to the range possibly Wednesday or Thursday depending on weather and what activities i may have to do.

But of course, i had to take some "dirty" pictures of it to start. It even came with an IWB leather holster and 4 sets of clips. This is going to be a blast to shoot, i can just feel it.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Nice! Great price too. Mine cost $335 + tax. BTW, if you decide the clips are too flimsy, I have some info for a fellow that is making some which are much more robust.......

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oddly enough the owner was at the counter today and said "I didn't think we were gonna sell that one. Everyone wants a .357 so it's been sitting right there for 2 weeks with no interest." So now i just have to hit the range, since i've picked up 100 rounds of WWB to run through it. I was going to buy a couple boxes of Tula since i don't have to worry about cycling, but at the same time i don't want the polymer melting into the cylinder and making it nearly impossible to extract the shells. I'll definitely check those clips and see how the work for me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nice setup and a good deal!

Have you tried wearing the gun and holster? If IWB, how or where did it fit best? Have you tried it as a pocket carry?
I've been looking for something like that for my front jeans pocket.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't even made it home yet to try it out, but i'm about 10 minutes away. Had to make a few other stops after buying. Man i wish i didn't have to work tonight.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ohhhhh, duh! I didn't notice the time on your post. Man, sorry you have to work tonite. I know I'm like a 60yr old kid when I get a new toy.:clap: At any rate, have a good one!

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Congratulations on the acquisition of your new 405. I've felt one of these would make a nice companion piece to my PT840. Sounds like a really good price too for the amount of use that it seems to have endured, which is to say not much use at all. Hope to hear how she does for you on the range.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's pretty cool, they do seem slightly thin on closer inspection. But luckily i notice there are 5 clips, not just 4. Though i must say, the tolerances are very tight on the gaps without being too tight. The cylinder opens and closes smoothly, the crane doesn't have any wobble, and the lock-up is nice too. The gap at the forcing cone seems pretty consistent against all the chambers looking by eye at least. ARRRGH!! I NEED TO GET TO THE RANGE!!

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just ran a serial check and found out it was made in 2011. Wish Taurus would give you the month of manufacture without having to call, but oh well.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congratulations on a very nice addition to your proverbial handgun stable!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Nice revolver! Enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Congrats on that M405, I hope you enjoy it. Taurus promised the 405 a long time ago, I'm glad they finally out.

Coop

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i took it out to the range today, but only ran 40 rounds through it. I had a new shooter with me, so we spent more time shooting the 22 Poly than anything else. And of course i can't hit the range without shooting .45's, can't have the 945 or 1911 mad at me.

Back to the 405 though,.... OUCH! Ok, it's not like i'm crying abut it or anything but the recoil did have a stinging quality to it that reminds me of my P-64. I got some pretty decent shots out to 25 yards, even putting holes in the right eye, throat, and left shoulder just above the heart.

I wasn't going for groupings today, moreso just teaching myself the sights and adjusting to the "feel" of the gun. I'll post a picture of my target in a little while, for now i need to scratch up some grub. Amazing how shooting always makes me hungry.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Glad to hear you got the M405 out. I have a CrimsonTrace grip on one and put the Ribber grip on the other. I didn't shoot either with the rubber grip so I can't say for sure but you may find the recoil bites less with the Taurus Ribber grips. Sounds like it's a shooter anyways, thanks for the report!

Coop

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, i'm definitely going to be on the lookout for a new grip. It was like the gun pinched me dead in the middle of my thumb and forefinger, which reverberated through my entire hand and into my wrist. Amazing trick for something that has no moving parts in that area of my hand. But it was a blast to shoot, i definitely enjoyed it. Even though it has more kick than i'm accustomed to, i think that will be resolved with a more shock absorbing grip.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts