Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 709 to the range a few months ago for the first time and had a few Fail-To-Extracts, and it was shooting wayyyyyy low & left. After reading that there are a few lemons out there I decided to send my 709 back to Taurus. After 7 weeks of waiting for my gun to get back I finally gave them call. They said the gun is waiting for a new barrel... That seems odd to me, especially since all the serial numbers on the gun won't match. So, I have some questions...
Has anyone else had Taurus customer service put a new barrel in their gun?
If so did it fix the problem? Did it create any new problems?
Will this effect resale value?
Don't get me wrong, I really love the little gun and plan on using it as my CCW. I just need it to be reliable and I at least need to be able to hit paper (yeah, it was that bad) at 20 or so yds.

·
Registered
564 Posts
i had two barrels replaced in my 709 plus one slide mine came back without a serial # on the barrel -it took almost two months to get back as i believe they wait for parts from brazil . it really didn't help as it went back a third time for the magazine falling out after each round fired at which time i requested a new gun as this thing was not dependable or reliable for a carry gun. i was notified the gun was under review and finally was replaced with a new gun which so far has been dependable. the first gun was a earlier model hope you gat things worked out and let me know

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
the only part of a pistol/revolver that is required to have a serial number is the frame, thats the registered part.
the new barrel shouldn't have a serial number on it so there will be no non matched parts numbers on the gun.
the other stuff I can't help you with.

·
Registered
313 Posts
After the second trip to Miami, mine came back with a new barrel, also. I sent it back to correct an erratic trigger force problem but they replaced several parts (like the barrel and ejector) unrelated to trigger force. That repair ticket was pretty informative. The new barrel was an improvement (IMO) because my 9mm laser boresiter now aligns with the sights, which was not the case with the previous barrel. I assume the chamber kn the previous barrel was not cut straight WRT the bore. Neither of these barrels (#2 or #3) has a serial number.

My original barrel did have a serial number which matched the frame but the barrel that came back after the first trip to Miami was blank. At that time I needed the shorter front sight but they had none in stock; I suspect they replaced the entire pistol that time with a new one stamped with my original serial number on the new one. That repair ticket simply said "Replaced."

In short, PT709 barrels without a serial number is par for the course.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
After the second trip to Miami, mine came back with a new barrel, also. I sent it back to correct an erratic trigger force problem but they replaced several parts (like the barrel and ejector) unrelated to trigger force. That repair ticket was pretty informative. The new barrel was an improvement (IMO) because my 9mm laser boresiter now aligns with the sights, which was not the case with the previous barrel. I assume the chamber kn the previous barrel was not cut straight WRT the bore. Neither of these barrels (#2 or #3) has a serial number.

My original barrel did have a serial number which matched the frame but the barrel that came back after the first trip to Miami was blank. At that time I needed the shorter front sight but they had none in stock; I suspect they replaced the entire pistol that time with a new one stamped with my original serial number on the new one. That repair ticket simply said "Replaced."

In short, PT709 barrels without a serial number is par for the course.
I'm a big fan of laser bore sighters. Truth detectors when it comes to low and left!

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Bought my 945 new, and at some point it was sent to Taurus before I bought it. New slide and barrel installed on it, leaving only the lower with a serial number on it. Shoots like a dream, and hits wherever I put the front dot. Not too worried about the serial numbers matching up personally, as it's only a selling point in gun shops. I don't trade guns in or sell them off, so it's only a minor defect that has nothing to do with function IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts