Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, the folks at Taurus sent me a new barrel for my TX. Now that I have a new borescope, I decided to check the bore before shooting it. I have a video too, not sure if I can upload it. Tell me what you think of this barrel. I don't think its any good. But, I'm not an expert. Will try to shoot it tomorrow and report back.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Well, they don't look like chatter marks, which run horizontal...ish. But that doesn't look.like great machine work either.
I'd put a couple hundred rounds downrange and see what the results are. Just my .02

·
Registered
179 Posts
I really don't know how they can put out trash like this. Sending a replacement barrel under warranty that looks like this is just bad business.
Yea, thats bad...can't even see the rifling in most of those pics. Don't even waste your ammo shooting it, get a hold of Taurus through the Chat feature on their website and send those pics.

Ridiculous they still have these bad barrels, since Day One of the TX22 intro.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, thats bad...can't even see the rifling in most of those pics. Don't even waste your ammo shooting it, get a hold of Taurus through the Chat feature on their website and send those pics.

Ridiculous they still have these bad barrels, since Day One of the TX22 intro.
That's what I will do. I will clean my old barrel and scope that too for comparison.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
Alright, the folks at Taurus sent me a new barrel for my TX. Now that I have a new borescope, I decided to check the bore before shooting it. I have a video too, not sure if I can upload it. Tell me what you think of this barrel. I don't think its any good. But, I'm not an expert. Will try to shoot it tomorrow and report back.
I'm less of an expert than you, but I sure think it looks like odd machining.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Below are photos of my "old barrel" that they are trying to replace with the "new barrel" which I posted the photos already. The old barrel tumbles every brand of ammo I tried (at 7 yards). You can see the old barrel is FAR superior to the new barrel in terms of machining.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
Below are photos of my "old barrel" that they are trying to replace with the "new barrel" which I posted the photos already. The old barrel tumbles every brand of ammo I tried (at 7 yards). You can see the old barrel is FAR superior to the new barrel in terms of machining.
My trained* eye agrees with you.

*My eyes are not trained in machining, rifling, nor anything remotely associated with the subject matter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: I asked Taurus to send me a return label for the new bad barrel. Sent them the photos I took and asked to have a gunsmith look at the photos. The response I got was that a gunsmith looked at the barrel before sending it to me and said it was fine to go out. Now they want me to ship them my gun. Not going to happen. I will live with the original barrel that came with the gun till I have an after market alternative.

I'm just shaking my head. Actually love the gun, its very reliable with most any ammo I used. If they could just get the barrel squared away. I guess that's what happens when you outsource to the lowest bidder.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Update: I asked Taurus to send me a return label for the new bad barrel. Sent them the photos I took and asked to have a gunsmith look at the photos. The response I got was that a gunsmith looked at the barrel before sending it to me and said it was fine to go out. Now they want me to ship them my gun. Not going to happen. I will live with the original barrel that came with the gun till I have an after market alternative.

I'm just shaking my head. Actually love the gun, its very reliable with most any ammo I used. If they could just get the barrel squared away. I guess that's what happens when you outsource to the lowest bidder.
Their gunsmith said it was 'fine to go out'? Unreal. Either that's just another lie from Taurus or their gunsmith is Stevie Wonder.

Just go here: Parts - Barrels - Page 1 - ShopTaurus.com and order the barrel you want, threaded or non threaded (they wanted you to pay the ship the gun anyhow, this is probably the same $$) and if you get a bad barrel, at least you can return it and get another one or your money back. Sucks you have to pay for it, but at least you're not stuck with it, if it turns out to be another bad one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After that response that Eddie got from Taurus I lost interest in ever wanting a TX22. I think for the extra $$ the Sig P322 would be a much better option.
I would. I even gave Taurus multiple chance to make things right. They are insisting I shoot the new barrel before returning. That thing looks like a kid took a file to it. It's obvious they don't care about product quality. It's a shame, I think the TX22 could be a great gun. I would not buy any of their other guns, certainly not a CCW. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts

Oh, you wanted a gunsmith to check it. Oh, we thought you said Gene Smith. He is the janitor here at Taurus HQ and he thinks it is okay.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That’s a bummer, Taurus recently sent me a replacement barrel and it’s great, the original had an offset chamber and inconsistent internal diameter that keyholed like crazy. It wouldn’t hurt to throw a box of cheap LRN Federal Automatch through it to see what it does but that’s your call.

·
Registered
37,946 Posts

IN the real big picture though one must ask themselves is it really that important to have a well made barrel in a gun?---GriiiN.
I mean they are just for show anyway its not like your life may depend on it!
The remark about the "Gunsmith looked at it before sending it out" speaks volume to me personally.

Sleeve Gesture Event Fashion design Fun

·
Registered
37,946 Posts
After that response that Eddie got from Taurus I lost interest in ever wanting a TX22. I think for the extra $$ the Sig P322 would be a much better option.

Yes Sir, the more I read the more the idea of not purchasing any Taurus products is reinforced!
I am much to old to participate in this craziness!
6 out of 10 returns was enough for me!

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Your post made me curious about my new G3C. It goes bang every time and quite accurate as is my 605 protector Poly. I Took a very close look and and they are near perfect. Makes me wonder if different pistols get closer tolerances and care in the manufacturing and quality control. Also the factory floor foreman might not care much about his job when making the TX! Sorry your going Through this, takes a lot fun out of the purchase, hope they make it right for you sooner than later.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts