Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all from the Lone Star State! I recently made my first firearm purchase, a stainless pt111. I have shot about 150 rounds (a mix of range loaded fmj and some random round my brother in law brought) through it without a single issue and it shoots great. I really like the form and fit of the weapon. Glocks are fun for me to shoot but they are such chunky monkeys that they feel awkward for my small hands. As this is my first firearm, the heinie sights come natural to me as I'm not really used to any sighting system yet. I simply remind myself to make a snowman with the dots and cover the target. I haven't cleaned to gun at all yet and that includes after purchasing and after two range trips. I know now that prerange cleaning is recommended so I intend to get that done asap. Kinda worried my lack of experience cleaning a gun will just mess up what aint broke!

Now I do have some questions/concerns for this weapon and Taurus in general:

-How well does Fiochi 124 grain JHP work in this weapon? I purchased only a 25 round box due to the ammo shortage and so I don't wanna shoot off rather valuable JHP. But at the same time I don't quite know if this'll be the ammo that would give me problems, which is worrying considering it's what I have loaded for self defense purposes ATM.

-Is the magazine for the new G2 versions compatible with the older models?

-How do you rank Taurus as a defence brand? I am quite happy with my pistol but my second gun pistol ended up being a $225 mistake I'd rather avoid, as my wife wants a pistol and the PT111 G2 is top of her list and bottom of the price list. I read online and most "professional" reviews seem to like Taurus guns. But then I read in forums and it seems people either get a lemon with their first Taurus or they buy every Taurus in the store and have no issues with a single one. People I inquire in real life pretty universally like their Taurus'. That includes owners of: unspecified Taurus revolvers, the Judge, the PT-111, the PT92 (which seems to be the 'prettiest' Taurus' out there), the PT111, an unspecified .38 Super, and one or two more I can't remember. The only problem two of my coworkers had was bad accuracy with the respective pistols. One sold his and the guy he sold it too got it repaired and it got fixed and the other thinks it has more to do with him. I know my gun is a great shooter, as evident by my wife blowing me away while going at paper bad guys. I just don't want to repeat my last mistake and want to review my options carefully before throwing more money away. I know this is a Taurus forum so it may be biased but many other forums seem to have disproportionate Taurus hatred.

-If you guys do recommend taurus, what would you suggest and what should I stay away from? So far I'm really interested in the PT-111 G2, the PT-709 Slim, a mid-sized .357 (perhaps a Rossi as an alternative, academy sell those really cheap), a PT-1911 (more as a collectors/fun gun but I wouldn't mind it for gome defence), and perhaps a PT-92 if I can get around to liking a Beretta. Taurus has a great line-up it seems.

One last comment: 12 rounds of 9mm in a subcompact for about $380 after tax is such a great deal compared to the 6-7 round .380's/9mm single stacks in that same price range. I know magazine capacity ain't everything but it made a big impression on me

-

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
From personal experience, you cannot go wrong with the pt111 G2......it feels better in hand and more balanced than the regular pt111....So far has been reliable for every grain(115,124 etc) or jacketed hollow point put through it. I have handled and fired the 709 and while it earns its name "slim", I think the new G2 conceals just as well. I carry it unless im sleeping.....and by the way, make that 13 rounds for the G2.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Welcome from Iowa! Love my Taurus, and have never had a problem... Can't answer a lot of your questions as I don't have the PT111, but I would recommend you run some of the Fiochi thru it if that's what you're going to use for personal defense. You just wanna make sure there isn't gonna be any issues.. My 809C likes some ammo better than others.. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Focchi JHPs run fine in my 738 and 709 they seem to be good rounds. However, you should run at least a few of what you have thru your pistol to check for function. I really like the 738 & 709 I have still haven't shot my 745 but expect it to be a fine shooter too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My PT111 G2 is one of my favorites. The only ammo it hasn't eaten has been Remington (Taurus CS recommends not using it in the millennium series) and TulAmmo. As each gun behaves differently you need to put a few rounds through it to make sure it has no issues.

My wife has pretty much also laid claim to my Pt111 G2 so I may have to get another to call my own. Then again I am keeping an eye open for the PT140 G2 to be released. I can only wish at this point that Taurus will do the PT145 in G2 trim as well. :drool:

As far as self defense, there are 2 Taurus pistols on duty in my house so far and I will not hesitate to employ another.

Enjoy your new gun and let it multiply.

·
Registered
846 Posts
How do you rank Taurus as a defence brand?
I don't care what brand a defense gun is, if it proves to be 99.99% reliable (nothing is perfect). At one time I had a Hi-Point C9 on my nightstand because that's what I could afford. The Hi-Point was reliable and a good shooter for me, but my wife is left (wrong) handed and when she fired it her grip would hit the mag release :eek: I've talked to other lefties that had the same problem with Hi-Point

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just my opinion here, but I recently bought the PT145 and am EXTREMELY happy with it. I would trust my and my loved ones life to it. I am looking at picking up either the 840 or 140 soon. You got a great gun.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Welcome aboard. I've used Fiochi ammo in my Glocks. They don't recall any problems. They tend to make fast ammo...high velocity rounds. Do take the advice of shooting whatever you are going to carry before you find out in a real life situation that your gun doesn't like the ammo. Fiochi makes FMJ so if you can find them practice with them AND still shoot some of those JHP's. Federal also worked for me. Test out a bunch of different ammo...have fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts