Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it is here! Here is my new Alien Gear holster and my Crossbreed I ordered about 2 months back!

The Alien Gear is super nice, leather is soft, the Kydex is thick but very low profile, clips are strong. The best part of the AG is they sent extra hardware. Everything is fully adjustable, ride height, draw angle, and retention, over all a great holster. The only gripe I have is that the AG was ordered about a month ago. I know a few guys in here got theirs within about 10 days on average. The CS wasn't very good either. After the second time I called though they refunded 15% which covered shipping, so I guess it worked out!

The crossbreed, I dropped the ball on, I should have got it combat cut, and upgraded the leather, but I am an old baseball player, and team roper, and have tricks to soften leather up. I also got an OWB mag pouch from CB as well. The Kydex isn't as thick and is not as low profile as the AG but the retention is to my liking so I don't have to do any weird adjustments with wet towels and a blow drier.

Without further pontificating here they are:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,807 Posts
So, which model of Crossbreed and AG did you get? I'm not too familiar with AG but own two Crossbreed holsters - a mini tuck and a super tuck. I've never even suited up with the super tuck since the kydex can be remolded with the heat from a hair dryer; thus, have carried everything from a full size PT1911 to a GLOCK 22 , PT140, PT145, Commander 1911 and even my GLOCK 19 in the mini tuck.

Congrats!

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Nice lookin' holsters. I've got an Alien Gear on the way that I can't wait to try! I've never worn a holster of this kind before, I always thought they were to big. Anyway, let us know how they work out for you.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Alien Gear basically has one model. You can get it in tan or black and you can order leather loops as an option. As @The_Intersect noted, it comes with a full hardware kit with extra spacers and screws so it is very adjustable. You can order extra shells or simply swap shells with AG if you sell or trade your gun for something different. The same leather base plate fits all their shells.

I really like mine, in case you can't tell. I spent about 45 minutes adjusting mine when I got it and it now fits just right.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice lookin' holsters. I've got an Alien Gear on the way that I can't wait to try! I've never worn a holster of this kind before, I always thought they were to big. Anyway, let us know how they work out for you.
I was new to hybrid IWB holsters when I bought my Alien Gear. They look big, but once you wear one, you should like it. It doesn't feel big at all and carries the weight well. It spreads the pressure/weight out over such a large area, all you really feel is the leather resting against your body. I can recommend it. Also, I'm about 5'10" and 140 pounds, and I don't think it is too big or too wide.

I too spent a few minutes playing with it and trying different adjustments until I got it to where I like it. Now it is broken in and shaped to my body.

Reactions: Chickamauga

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spent about a half hour or so adjusting mine as well. I have to carry it at about the 2 o'clock position, it makes my pants stick out too much in the back. It is super comfortable there, and I used to open carry in Arizona so I am used to a 3 o'clock carry, so the 2 position is more muscle memory for me anyway.

@ daytonaredeye I have the OWB Crossbreed super slide holster. I am going to email them about seeing if they will combat cut it for me, so when I wear a button down shirt, i can wear my sport coat over my gun (church, etc).

Reactions: Harrychl

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I carry at 5:00 or so. One clip is right against my center-back belt loop. The end of the butt of my gun is almost perfectly aligned with my spine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am 6'5" 330 lbs and due to some problems I have working out is not much of a reality. Is there anyone who is big bellied that has and uses the AG IWB? I want to get my cc license if there is a way to comfortably carry IWB. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I am 6'5" 330 lbs and due to some problems I have working out is not much of a reality. Is there anyone who is big bellied that has and uses the AG IWB? I want to get my cc license if there is a way to comfortably carry IWB. Thanks for any feedback.

Check out the sticky http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/concealed-open-carry/77510-list-holster-makers-2.html to see how some big guys on another site have adjusted to carrying concealed...post 15 from this link has the link to the other forum.

Reactions: oldbiker

·
Registered
179 Posts
While I am not as heavy as you, I am not anywhere near svelte either. With the adjustments available on the AG I would venture to say you can get it in comfortable position on your waist without issue. The leather has molded to my 'dunlops' so well that I do not notice the gun and holster anymore. I wear in the 4:30 position myself.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am torn about this kind of holster for me. I carry at 3:00 all the time. This can cause printing obviously but as I carry open mostly anyhow printing is not a huge deal. Still having this holster may allow me to comfortably conceal carry at times.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have used the AG and other similar holster. The hybrid kydex/leather holster is all I carry in.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I am torn about this kind of holster for me. I carry at 3:00 all the time. This can cause printing obviously but as I carry open mostly anyhow printing is not a huge deal. Still having this holster may allow me to comfortably conceal carry at times.
I also carry right around 3:00 with guns up to the 1911. I have no problem with printing and have carried with shirts both tucked and untucked. This style holster is great at concealing.

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
5'-10" 200 Lb. (the holidays have not been kind) - I wear my Slims and Mil Pro's about 3-3:30 IWB hybrid; the larger PT92 or PT24/7 I wear at about 5-5:30 IWB in AlienGear (can't say enough about their quality and pricing). This position of the larger pistols places the grip at about 35 deg. across the back and conceals well. With the onset of cooler weather I've gone to OWB mini holsters for all in same locations and REALLY long shirt/sweater/windbreaker - so I've got about 60-90 days to get rid of the 15 lbs. I packed on indulging in the finer sport of eating too damn much during this past holiday season. LOL

Reactions: badhatharry and BMC

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Alien Gear basically has one model. You can get it in tan or black and you can order leather loops as an option. As @The_Intersect noted, it comes with a full hardware kit with extra spacers and screws so it is very adjustable. You can order extra shells or simply swap shells with AG if you sell or trade your gun for something different. The same leather base plate fits all their shells.

I really like mine, in case you can't tell. I spent about 45 minutes adjusting mine when I got it and it now fits just right.
Alien Gear actually has three different sizes of leather that they use depending on the firearm you select. The screw patterns are the same on all three sizes so the kydex can be used on either of the three.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I bought my Crossbreed super tuck 3 years ago for my Colt Defender and love it, it works perfectly with my PT740 also. They make a fine holster that is well worth the wait. For concealed carry it is as good as it gets. I'm going to order an ankle holster from them soon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts