Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of my 851ss2ul which I purchased new. I paid $299 (plus shipping / minimal transfer) which I thought was very reasonable, I also included a picture of my 605 as well.

I did note something that I thought was unusual after unboxing the revolver. The action was unbelievably tight and I literally had considerable difficulty cycling the revolver in DA, either using trigger or manually placing in SA. Not sure if what lubrication they leave the factory with! I cleaned thoroughly prior to my visit to the range and the action was decent. The revolver is accurate, although I am a better shot with the 605. I think the rear adjustable site will be a benefit as I was consistently a bit right at 7 yards. I still can't 'thumb' the revolver to SA very well at all as it is still very tight, but I'll assume that will get better with more visits to the range. The trigger is very good, but the 605 is better at the moment. I figure the 851 will certainly get better with more rounds as I only put about 40 through it on the first outing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yes that is a Fair Price...<:))

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
I've always liked the Centennial style revolvers....and welcome !!

·
Registered
671 Posts
My 851 was VERY tight. I started to take it back that day. It's like a basball mit, just keep working it, shooting it, lubing it, walk it through its normal cycle and it begins to loosen up. I used quite a bit of remoil. Also due to my small hands I can not cock the shrouded hammer, by pulling straigt down with the pad of my thumb as you would a regular revolver. In stead I grip it between my second thumb digit and my thumb ball, and do a rolling cock. I know it's awfully stiff but it will loosen up, keep working at it. As far as ever being able to thumb like a traditional I think the mechanics of the hammer don't allow it, maybe Shaq could, but an average man's hand won't allow it due to lack of leverage, don't let this bother you it's still a great gun. ;)

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts