Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new Rossi 971. While dry firing with expended cartridges in the cylinder, the cylinder "hung up" on me three times in about 50 times. Is this anything to be concerned about?

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net!

I don't know about using expended cartridge shells in the chambers for "dry firing". I think they make a special cartridge for dry firing, though.

Some of our Taurus Gurus should be along to offer some help with your question.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Don't be cheap, buy some snap caps. The expanded shells are the problem, not the gun.

Reactions: nightwalker

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input. I will get some snap caps when the budget allows. I read on a different site that one could use spent casings, with the admonition to paint them with fingernail polish as a safety precaution against accidentally mistaking live ammo for dead.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I would take it to the range and "wet fire it" LOL. Put some rounds through it to see how it handles live firing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've put twelve rounds through it and it has worked well. I'm real happy with this gun, so far, and it makes a bigger bang than my 380:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I took it out in the backyard and put 6 38sp and 6 357mag through it , I was very impressed with how it handled the 357 with ease. After all the talk about the scary kick I had a death grip on it. Not necessary. I will say that I need to practice to get the accuracy down with the DA...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strange note, Montkun...I went to four stores today looking for snap-caps and nobody has them. It seems like I used to see them everywhere. Anyway, a local smith said to sand off the end of the used bullet case because he thought maybe the dented primer could be the cause of the hangups. Oh, and another local guy sold me some plastic casings with rubber bullets and primers. No powder. That sounds like a fun way to practice and sort of dry fire.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
That's crazy you can't find snapcaps anywhere, but if you found a solution with the rubber bullets then i hope they work well for you.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Hope you like your Rossi! Any pics coming? I used to have a 971 from the Interarms years, and I wonder how the new production stacks up with the old ones.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just take a pair of pliers and some .38's and empty them. That will keep the brass in the correct neck...no expansion. And cheaper than snap caps

Reactions: nightwalker

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After 3 mos. and a couple hundred rounds I really am happy with this gun. I did get some snap-caps last week at Jay's in Clare, MI, and the DA is loosening up a bit, or else my trigger finger is getting more muscles :) I stopped to see an old friend who I remembered had some sort of revolver that he inherited from his Dad, to find that it's a S&W 19, 4", which is the same as the Rossi 971. Fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts