Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of the newer 856 Concealed Hammer Snubs. I've shot about 150-200 rounds out of it. Today at the range I hit the target twice and then the cylinder stop froze and the cylinder started spinning freely. I've been seeing similar issues popping up on YouTube, here and on other forums.

Fortunately, the FFL I bought it from agreed to send it back for me. I've got one of the 856 snubs I've had several years now and other than the cylinder screw loosening from firing a lot of Plus P ammo (fixed with blue loctite), I haven't had any issues. I've also had several 605's and 85's I've had good results with.

With Taurus you take the good with the bad. I've had some very good guns and some so so, and then some not so good. But, I can say the same thing about the many S&W firearms I've owned. This issue with the cylinder is starting to seem a common one. I'm wondering if this is a post-Covid quality control issue.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update 1 - I was changing the grips back to the original, so to send it off. New Taurus snubs have a roll pin you have to hammer out with a punch to put the original rubber grips back on. As I was doing this I noticed the cylinder wasn't spinning and was locking up. I put the old grips back on and hammered the roll pin back in. It was cycling fine. I took it outside and shot six rounds through it. It shot great.

So what happened? Was it the gun? My kitchen gunsmithing? Some hot ammo I'd shot several range trips before? I don't know. I'll continue to monitor it. I like this gun. It is as close to a model 10 snub with a round butt as you can get these days.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I bought one of the newer 856 Concealed Hammer Snubs. I've shot about 150-200 rounds out of it. Today at the range I hit the target twice and then the cylinder stop froze and the cylinder started spinning freely. I've been seeing similar issues popping up on YouTube, here and on other forums.

Fortunately, the FFL I bought it from agreed to send it back for me. I've got one of the 856 snubs I've had several years now and other than the cylinder screw loosening from firing a lot of Plus P ammo (fixed with blue loctite), I haven't had any issues. I've also had several 605's and 85's I've had good results with.

With Taurus you take the good with the bad. I've had some very good guns and some so so, and then some not so good. But, I can say the same thing about the many S&W firearms I've owned. This issue with the cylinder is starting to seem a common one. I'm wondering if this is a post-Covid quality control issue.
I think the quality of a lot of stuff, not just guns, has taken a hit from the lack of skilled labor, due to this Trojan Horse called COVID.

I was in my favorite gun store the other day, and talking to the owner, he said that he has had an alarming number of S&W and Ruger revolvers come back in, not long after they were bought, going back to the factory with issues. This should not be happening. The disruption to manufacturing, even in my field of machining, which I have been doing for 28 years now, is a problem. This has to be happening everywhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts