Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new p809 yesterday at Academy Sports. Got the gun home, stripped, cleaned, and lubed. Usually break in before trusting a gun; however I traded my home defense gun for this one. Loaded u p, racked round in chamber and used de-cocker to release hammer. Gun discharged into the kitchen floor barely missing the family dog. You talk about scaring the crap out of me. Wife and son were in next room. Luckily everyone was ok besides the ceramic tile. My question is what happened? Calling Taurus tomorrow. Hopefully Taurus will find out what is wrong. Scared to use till i send back. Anybody else have this issue with 800series. I am not a Taurus basher by far. I currently own 5 Taurus pistol's and love them all.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I have not heard of this happening before. Is this the first handgun that you have that has a decocker?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought a new p809 yesterday at Academy Sports. Got the gun home, stripped, cleaned, and lubed. Usually break in before trusting a gun; however I traded my home defense gun for this one. Loaded u p, racked round in chamber and used de-cocker to release hammer. Gun discharged into the kitchen floor barely missing the family dog. You talk about scaring the crap out of me. Wife and son were in next room. Luckily everyone was ok besides the ceramic tile. My question is what happened? Calling Taurus tomorrow. Hopefully Taurus will find out what is wrong. Scared to use till i send back. Anybody else have this issue with 800series. I am not a Taurus basher by far. I currently own 5 Taurus pistol's and love them all.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Boy there must be a number of things wrong with it after reviewing the manual online. Firing pin block, sear, and trigger bar plunger. If I'm not mistaken these must be an issue for that to happen that's quite a few things to be wrong all at once.
I may be wrong there are many on here more experienced then I please correct me if I'm wrong or if I missed something.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Wow, glad to hear everyone is okay. Never had a problem with my 840 but I never, ever use the de-cocker with a loaded chamber. That’s just me, others will say it’s perfectly safe and it should be but it’s a mechanical device and all mechanical devices are prone to misbehave. I just want to reduce the odds of something happening like you experienced.

Keep us informed on what Taurus has to say.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience.

Do you want to test the decocker? Remove the magazine, unload the weapon, check that it's clear. Put a pencil into the barrel with the eraser end first in. Cock the hammer, and activate the decocker and see if it shoots out? You can use the trigger to see how it would otherwise shoot out when the firing pin is allowed to go forward.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the decocker on my 809 but it's also a feature I'm a little leary of. If it would easy the hammer down instead of just letting it snap back I'd be more trustful. I'll let the hammer fall if I know for certain the chamber's empty but ease it back with my thumb if there's a round chambered. I'm glad your experience didn't have a horribly bad ending. I'd definitely be sending it back to Taurus to have it fixed.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the decocker on my 809 but it's also a feature I'm a little leary of. If it would easy the hammer down instead of just letting it snap back I'd be more trustful. I'll let the hammer fall if I know for certain the chamber's empty but ease it back with my thumb if there's a round chambered. I'm glad your experience didn't have a horribly bad ending. I'd definitely be sending it back to Taurus to have it fixed.
I never really liked decockers either. I'd be more likely to put my thumb between the hammer and the firing pin, pull the trigger and ease it down. Not only would I be sending that puppy back to Taurus, I'd be having them pay to repair the hole in the floor.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Holy cow, man, that would scare the stuffing out of me, too.

LIke the others say, Taurus gotta fix this.

I never use the decocker either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. The only other gun I have used de-cocker on was a Ruger p94. When safety was activated had a block to firing pin that you could see inside where hammer strikes. It works flawlessly for 15 years I had gun. Guess I got to relaxed to the fact that it could malfunction. The only 2 reasons I traded that Ruger were capacity and the fact that my wife is more comfortable with 9mm over 40 cal.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Lesson learned the hard way, never load a new weapon indoors! Pass the info and be safe.

Reactions: stickem2

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I'll add this too - this kind of thing is why safety rule #1 is so important. I never sweep any part of my body, anyone around me, or even a dog with a firearm - loaded or empty. And I don't holster them until they're in a safe condition, and I do that with my finger nowhere near the trigger. It's a habit you get into, and it can save your bacon - or someone else's.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Sorry about the mishap... What are your other Taurus guns? Do they have decockers, also? Let us know what happens...

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Makes me think cause I always use the decocker in my guns if I rack one into the chamber but it's always been at the range from now on if I wanna decock one I'll use it but let the hammer down slowly :/ just wow... that coulda been real bad ... glad everyones ok :/

on a side note I was poo pooing the new 24/7 G2 that you have a SA/DA striker gun but I didn'tt like that when you rack a fresh round into the chamber it stays in double action... I think I'm going to eat my words on that this sounds like a sensible feature now to have on the gun.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I too am sorry for the mishap but thankful only the floor took the hit. This all made me think about both my 92's since I never ever use the de-cocker. I grabbed a pencil and function checked them both. Both were OK. BUT, I am still wondering and will wait til the next range visit and try it with a chambered round. Like everyone else on here keep us posted of your findings.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
It sounds like an issue with the sear, because the decocker should only drop it to half cock. Now if the trigger bar is disengaging the sear, it must be skipping the half cock position and just dropping the hammer immediately. Hopefully you'll have it resolved ASAP, Taurus will definitely make it right by you somehow.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but no one has asked yet.....was your finger near the trigger when you decocked the firearm?

·
Registered
31 Posts
As what taurus 777 said, I too will lower the hammer with the decocker slowly if a round is chambered , I made the mistake of doing that full hammer drop with a live round, whew! a little un nerving . good luck with dealing with that issue's pls let us know what taurus says.

goose pt840

1 - 20 of 57 Posts