Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,all. I bought a new 738, and after cleaning and a trip to the range, I fired 100 rounds through it. I used Remington FMJ. After many many feed failures, I'm looking for some tips in the care and feeding of this tiny pistol. I dismantled it, cleaned, and polished the feed ramp.
Hopefully, the polish job and another 100 rounds will get me through the break-in period. I do like the site. I've picked up some tips on the installation of the take-down pin, which had me scratching my head, and mods to the sights(thanks, Bullhauler). Partially installing the pin before attaching the slide turned out to be one of those"why didn't I think of that?" moments. Now if I could just figure out how to get the pin out without using a modified 6" screwdriver life would be good. I look forward to carrying this pistol, but not until the feed problem's resolved.

·
Super Moderator
40,554 Posts
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Welcome from N Carolina!!!

738s, like other small pistols, sometimes can be picky. My daughter uses PMC and PPC for target and CDefense for Carry. Others have good results w/ other ammo. Hope you get the right ammo combo...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hello and Welcome from Wisconsin
I use a small pocket knife to remove the takedown pin. I might be able to use my finger nails, but I like taking the easy route

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Welcome from sunny South Tulsa.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Welcome from Lapeer,Michigan.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky!

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I have the TCP 738. I got it in May of 2011. I have sent it to back to the factory 3 times. I quit using it after the 3rd trip. My advice is try another gun.
The Mil Pro's are great guns. I have one thats been very good. My TCP has been a pain.
Also Bersa makes a great 380 for the same money.
Taurus makes some good guns, but the TCP is still struggling.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Welcome from IA! Like everyone said, try differnt types of ammo. Plus, I don't know if Taurus recommends this, but many other makers of subcompact .380 autos recommend that you initially put 200 rounds through your pistol to let everything break in, and get the bugs worked out.......

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Registered
289 Posts
Welcome from Southern Orygun!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

Mine can be finicky some times, but it is not my primary carry gun. The more I shoot it though the better it is getting.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Hello and welcome from Southeast Tennessee;;

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Smiley Hello.gif Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome. Sadly enough, there are more issues regarding the TCP than there are success stories. At least it seems that way. Mine is in Florida after only 50 rounds through it. Maybe yours will treat you better.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Salutations from the greatest handgun forum on the Internet. :thumb:

We are blessed to have many knowledgeable and friendly folks here, who don't mind sharing their Taurus experiences and wisdom with you.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico, glad to have you.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts