Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Took my new 709 to the range today and was very impressed with it. Only ran 50 rounds through it. No problems at all. Love the trigger feel. Might have to go back again tomorrow.
Welcome to the forum, Oldsarge86, and congratulations on your new PT709 Slim!

I know what you mean...shooting those little Slim series pistols can become habit-forming. :)

I have a PT740 and it's my favorite carry gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went back to the range today with a different brand of low cost ammo just to see how it would run. Had one ejection failure, but it was easy to clear and the rest of the box ran very smooth. Tried some rapid fire and I was suprised just how controlable the gun is. Sure feels a lot different than my Remington Rand 1911 or Ruger GP-100. Right now I keep it in the house cocked and locked. I don't have my CHL yet. Does anyone know the distances of the Texas CHL practical exercise? Picked up a little pouch from concealmygun.com. Tight fit, but will stretch.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Went back to the range today with a different brand of low cost ammo just to see how it would run. Had one ejection failure, but it was easy to clear and the rest of the box ran very smooth. Tried some rapid fire and I was suprised just how controlable the gun is. Sure feels a lot different than my Remington Rand 1911 or Ruger GP-100. Right now I keep it in the house cocked and locked. I don't have my CHL yet. Does anyone know the distances of the Texas CHL practical exercise? Picked up a little pouch from concealmygun.com. Tight fit, but will stretch.
Texas CHL range requirements:

"The shooting portion will require students to fire 50 rounds from a handgun with a caliber of .32 or more, broken down to 20 shots at three yards, 20 at seven yards and 10 at 15 yards."

Can you tell us something about your pouch from concealmygun.com and post a photo? Their website is almost totally empty.

·
32,497 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Welcome from SE Michigan. I also have a 709 I use as my carry weapon. I love it. Shoots everything I have put through it with no problems.

·
Banned
73 Posts
The TX ammo requirements and distances for CCW sound same as NC. I suspect the instructor has some latitude; my instructor included several one-hand and weak hand shots (don't recall how many).

For practice ammo, the Federal Champion 9mm at Walmart seems the best buy here in NC. It's currently about $20 for a box of 100 which is hard to beat when you consider shipping. For self defense ammo, Mail order still wins here.

Several PT709 owners have warned NOT to put a round in the chamber and then let the slide slam forward because that can damage the extractor, maybe not every time. Instead, feed the +1 from the magazine and then top up the magazine. IMO a self defense gun must be ready to shoot which means a round in the chamber.

The self defense pistols in my home are in pistol safes (push-button combo) but otherwise ready to shoot: a round in the chamber and safety off. But I keep the safety on when I carry the PT709 (still with one in the pipe) because it's very easy to sweep it off and I don't want to shoot myself stuffing the gun into a back pocket.

Most of these small guns run better after a break-in period. Hopefully yours will and you'll never see another feed failure. FYI, the classic feed problem with the early PT709s was an incomplete extraction of the spent casing (still partially in the chamber) with the next live round feeding and jamming against the bottom of the spent shell. Hard to clear because you need to drop the magazine and lock the slide back to clear it; not something you want to do in am emergency. Hopefully, Taurus has solved this problem and you'll never see it.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yep, you bought a winner. I took my PT709 to the range last week and was quickly reminded why it's one of my favorites. You've made a good choice.
I've spent some time in Fredericksburg...are you anywhere nearby?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has anyones had problems putting the magazine in? It seams to catch on something internal and you have to "smack" it in

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most of these small guns run better after a break-in period. Hopefully yours will and you'll never see another feed failure. FYI, the classic feed problem with the early PT709s was an incomplete extraction of the spent casing (still partially in the chamber) with the next live round feeding and jamming against the bottom of the spent shell. Hard to clear because you need to drop the magazine and lock the slide back to clear it; not something you want to do in am emergency. Hopefully, Taurus has solved this problem and you'll never see it.
I've run into this a few times, mostly only when shooting a bit more rapidly than normal. Any solutions?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just purchased my 709 at a gun show this past weekend! This is a heck of an upgrade from my 380 Keltec. I've just order a Pearce grip extender, Hogue sleeve grip, and a Barsony in the waistband concealment holster! I'm pretty hyped about this pistol. I do hope it does me proud!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts