Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my 709 for probably 8 years now, so I think it may be one of the earlier ones ( gen 1 I think), and have been making due with the 2 mags that came with it. I happened to be at Cabelas today and saw an actually Taurus 709 magazine for sale, which I'm not sure I have ever seen for sale in a retail store before. I knew there was a bit of a drought on them in the past, so I decide to pick up an extra.

When I get home I compare it to my original ones, and notice a little bit different texture, and the small groove that ran down the length of my older mags wasn't on the newer one. But the actually problem seems to be that its slightly thicker then my older ones. Its just thick enough that it doesn't want to go into 709 without being forced. And once it was in, it wouldn't drop free, and I had a heck of a time pulling it out.

So long story short, I was wondering if anyone else had heard about this? Did I just happen to get a dud, or did they change the magazine design recently? Or was there a different magazine between gen 1 and gen 2?

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
I had an earlier 2-pin model (and still have some of it's mags) and still have 4-pin. All the 709 mags I've seen early or of late have the side groove (I have about a dozen or so). My 740 mags do not have the groove and will not properly fit into the 709 unless heavily forced, which I won't do. The 709 body is 12 mm thick; 740 12.5mm. Some of the 709's have a very pronounced side groove and some barely noticeable - I believe this was to distinguish between 709 and 740 body as there is no mating molding tit inside 709 mag well. I thought at one time it was to prevent accidentally interchanging by owners of both, but now believe it's just the .5 mm thickness difference.

Not saying there hasn't been a change, but if so it has shown itself in my individual buys of 709 mags. Additionally 709/740 mags are 32 mm front to back. I have run into new mags with a "belly" (not Slim mags) that caused interference fit and wouldn't release - I placed these in vice (cloth wrapped) and clamped down on middle and no more problem. If you have a hand caliper you might check width and for belly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to hunt down my calipers, but this is what I found. The newer 709 mag is about 12mm, just as yours. But my original mags are thinner, about 11.6. I've included a pic attachment of the magwell of my 709 just for reference. You can see 4 sets of grooves that guide the magazine in. The middle two sets are about 13mm wide, so no problem there. But the outside two, on the front and back of the magwell are only about 12.2 mm, which is where the new magazine is getting caught up on.

Looking around on the internet, the only thing I found was a youtube video from a year ago. Which has a guy complaining about the same thing, and demonstrating multiple mags wont fit.

In the comments section he mentions that he spoke to Taurus, and they said if your 709 was produced before 2009 you will have a this problem with the new magazines. So maybe its not a new change, but a old one?
Was that the year the gen 2 (4 pin) model came out?
Does anyone know the width of the promag magazines for the 709?

I'll see if I can find some time to give Taurus a call myself this week, but might try to wait a few days. Getting over a cold, and I still sound like froggy from the little rascals. I was hunting for an email address last night, but couldn't find one on there website.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
I believe the 4-pin was '09. My 709 2-pin (traded off) was from '08 I picked up used in '13. So possible I may have had the problem, just didn't know it as never got any new mags into it and I'm guessing it's mags would work in any model. On the other hand, the guy I traded 2-pin to for his 4-pin (he wanted SS and that was 2-pin and traded me his 4-pin black) - he kept his mags and I mine - they worked in the 2-pin I traded him - so I'm confused. LOL

Keep us posted on your Taurus experience.

·
Administrator
17,799 Posts
I recently purchased some new Taurus American Made Magazines off ebay. So far, they fit, feed, and drop just fine and I put 50 rounds each thru the pair.

Other than the "Made in USA" stamping, I'm not seeing any physical difference between the Brazilian and USA made magazines.

I'm going to install Pearce Extensions on them soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts