Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I revieved a new 709 slim for christmas after much research and looking to decide which carry gun i wanted. I went to the range the first time with a box of cheap tulammo from walmart(all they had at the time) and after the third magazine it would randomly fire two shots with one pull of the trigger, kinda sketchy, so I set it down and let my dad shoot for a bit and picked it up to run one more mag through it and it did fine. Well i went back today and used my pinky extension just in case it was my fault for limp wristing and used blazer brass ammo this time. Same thing third magazine it shot two with one pull so i unloaded it and set it down and let the girlfriend shoot her new gun some, and when i shot another mag through it it did fine again. Its like something is sticking once it gets hot then when it cools its fine again. I tried calling taurus today and was on hold for over an hour and got fed up and hung up and figured i would see of ayone else has encountered this or if there is an easy fix as i am not 100% gun saavy when it comes to smithing and repair. Thanks in advance for any help as i really like this gun and dont want to have to start disliking it.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Thats not good. I think your gun may need a vacation in sunny Florida. Someone on here who knows them better may be able to tell you whats going on with it. But I would send it back. Taurus will get it fixed and back to you quickly enough.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if there phones are any sign of the time it will take for repair it wont be so quick lol, Im actually on the phone again as i type this and am at 35 minutes and im still caller 15 on there list.

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
Doubling may be caused by an out of spec sear, or a worn sear. It can also be caused by a dirty gun. You DID clean all of the preservative out of it, right? Including the firing pin channel?

If not, then do so now. The gun, as it stands, is unsafe. Get it clean, and properly lubricated. If the firing pin channel is restricted by fire-hardening gunk, it could be preventing the firing pin from retracting fully. The second round slam-fires, and that pushes the firing pin back into the channel. The same with setting the gun down, it allows the gunk to settle, and the firing pin to retract fully.

I have a friend with an older Walther PPK that would double after about 50 rounds. Clean it, and you were good to go. In his case, there was corrosion in the firing pin channel. We finally tired of the 50 round cleaning, and took it apart, really apart. Found the corrosion, cleaned it out, and the problem went away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
before my first trip i just field stripped it and cleaned it twice and lubed it. After that trip i took the firing pin assembly out and cleaned it, it didnt really seem dirty but i cleaned and lubed it and cleaned the whole gun twice again and the problem still persisted.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You have a problem with the sear. It may just be dirty/gooey. There is a small torsional spring that returns the sear to the "up" position to catch the striker foot when the slide cycles (like after firing a round). If the sear doesn't make it all the way up into the notch, the sear can drop down and release the striker and fire a second round. IMO, enough crud in the sear mechanism could easily cause this problem. If that's the case, a good flushing with Gun Scrubber, drying (compressed air works well), and a film of Rem Oil should fix you right up. But if you actually have a bad part (or parts) you'll need to send it to Miami as you indicated. All the involved parts (sear, sear spring, and the bracket the sear rides in) are controlled parts which Taurus won't sell or send. The sear/spring is also tricky to get back into the bracket.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
The Tul Ammo didn't do you any favors here as that stuff is very dirty to shoot. You were not clear about the firing pin channel and the lubing you did, but I would use a dry lube and nothing wet as the wet lube tends to mix with the gunpowder residue and that can cause problems too. When you get it back from Taurus, let us know what they say and how it works when you get the chance to shoot it again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cleaned it twice before each trip to the range with gun scrubber then applied drops of remoil to all the moving parts and wiped away the excess. When I cleaned the firing pin I removed it and sprayed it and the channel with gun scrubber and applied very light remoil and wiped it down to remove most of the lube and put it back together

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I cleaned it twice before each trip to the range with gun scrubber then applied drops of remoil to all the moving parts and wiped away the excess. When I cleaned the firing pin I removed it and sprayed it and the channel with gun scrubber and applied very light remoil and wiped it down to remove most of the lube and put it back together

That is what I am saying about oil in the firing pin channel. Cleaning it out with Gun Scrubber is a good idea. I do that also, but then I blow it out with my compressor and then apply a dry lube that drys on the firing pin/channel leaving a thin film that when dried, allows lubrication without mixing with the gun powder residue. Trying to wipe down oil after it has been applied is impossible it if is in the firing pin channel. Leaving it dry is better than oiling it. I know it doesn't seem like a good idea to not oil it, but this is what I have learned over the years. Good luck and do let us know when she comes home.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Problem? I don't see that as a problem. Seems like fun to me. Although I would prefer a "select fire" switch.

All kidding aside, glad you're safe and nothing resulted from the problem. Hope it is fixed asap.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Doubling may be caused by an out of spec sear, or a worn sear. It can also be caused by a dirty gun. You DID clean all of the preservative out of it, right? Including the firing pin channel?

If not, then do so now. The gun, as it stands, is unsafe. Get it clean, and properly lubricated. If the firing pin channel is restricted by fire-hardening gunk, it could be preventing the firing pin from retracting fully. The second round slam-fires, and that pushes the firing pin back into the channel. The same with setting the gun down, it allows the gunk to settle, and the firing pin to retract fully.

I have a friend with an older Walther PPK that would double after about 50 rounds. Clean it, and you were good to go. In his case, there was corrosion in the firing pin channel. We finally tired of the 50 round cleaning, and took it apart, really apart. Found the corrosion, cleaned it out, and the problem went away.
You beat me to it. Definitely clean it before sending it in for warranty. ..if you haven't already.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Taurus has had the gun for about 4 weeks now. It has said awaiting parts on the status for over two weeks. I called and they said they are waiting on a trigger bar to come from Brazil.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I have been known to run a small brass/bronze brush thru the firing pin channel when cleaning it. No it doesn't go all the way thru;) and follow it with a couple q tips.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nope still waiting on parts. They put in a request for a new gun about two weeks ago and still nothing has changed. They keep blaming it on the way the country is now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.