Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a question a few weeks ago about my 709 FTE since then I have had a couple of people shoot the gun with same result I called Taurus and waited 1 hour to get approval to send it back. Here is my problem they have told me it will take6 weeks to get my weapon back this seems crazy to me since the gun is not even 2 weeks old I would think it is a clear defect and the gun sould be replaced. I really hope I made the right choice buying a Taurus as my carry weapon

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Hang in there, Taurus does make quality firearms, but as with anything mass produced sometimes there are parts that make it through that should not have. Customer service will tell you six weeks up front but often the turn around time is around 3 weeks. They will tell you this so you do not get mad if it takes longer than 3 weeks. Additionally if it is determined that the firearm cannot be fixed, the firearm will be presented to the review board for authorization and a replacement will be provided to you.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Generally, the Review Board at Taurus will not make any decisions on replacing a Taurus gun with a new one, unless the service department is unable to repair the firearm.

As far as six weeks turnaround time, I can almost assure you that it won't be gone that long.

My new Judge Ultralight revolver that I sent to Taurus for warranty service was back to me within ten days.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would not hold out much hope of the problems with your 709 being fixed. Mine has been back twice for the same thing. It will work fine for a while but the FTE problem reappears.

Vince

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I posted a question a few weeks ago about my 709 FTE since then I have had a couple of people shoot the gun with same result I called Taurus and waited 1 hour to get approval to send it back. Here is my problem they have told me it will take6 weeks to get my weapon back this seems crazy to me since the gun is not even 2 weeks old I would think it is a clear defect and the gun sould be replaced. I really hope I made the right choice buying a Taurus as my carry weapon
I have one and it does just fine. Most of the 709's that I have seen do just great as well, so unfortunately, you might have got that one in a hundred that all gun manufacturers have an issue with. Taurus will get you fixed up, they did on a PT-111 first generation I have that had the same problem after about 500 rounds, and ever since it has been fine.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
It would appear that one person's problems are going to haunt anyone with a PT709. If, as that poster seems determined to do, they blame the design and/or materials, perhaps they could respond to the simple fact that so many people are having zero problems with the extractor or ejector of their own 709 pistol? At extended round counts? I just finished putting another two boxes of Winchester 124 gr. +P through mine. The total is now approaching 2000 rounds, on the original parts. At 2000 rounds, I will be replacing the recoil spring, and chugging on.

Most of the 709 problems stem from cleanliness, dis-assembly, and reduced sight radius issues. This clouds the overall picture. I have no doubt that some guns are faulty, just how many, and why, is a matter of opinion.

Had I haunted forums with my tales of woe with S&W, Sig, and HK, I would have been called a troll. Also, following the logic provided, how could I ever trust a gun that cracked it's slide, broke the hand on the first shot, or came from the factory with a bad barrel? As these were problems that are relatively rare, shouldn't I have expected a replacement, then, and not a repair? After all, that is apparently what those with problems in a Taurus expect.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I re-read your original post when you stated you had problem. Two members, myself included, ask for a little more information about your problem. You never responded. We can't help you if you don't reply back. Now again, I will ask if you did a field stripping of the weapon and lubing it back up before shooting it? If not, this may be your problem. As for Taurus, they tell everyone it will be 6 weeks. I had a PT1911 gone for 2 weeks and a day and they told me it would be 6 weeks. That was over New Years holiday too. I have also heard of it taking longer than 6 weeks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all! You have given me some hope
I re-read your original post when you stated you had problem. Two members, myself included, ask for a little more information about your problem. You never responded. We can't help you if you don't reply back. Now again, I will ask if you did a field stripping of the weapon and lubing it back up before shooting it? If not, this may be your problem. As for Taurus, they tell everyone it will be 6 weeks. I had a PT1911 gone for 2 weeks and a day and they told me it would be 6 weeks. That was over New Years holiday too. I have also heard of it taking longer than 6 weeks.

SorryI did not reply back! I did a field strip and cleaned and lubed it checked the extractor as per the video some one posted (sorry I don't rember his name) Then brought it to the range and had a range pro try the weapon which was pretty funny because he had the same gun and loved it!! It did the same thing for him. He first blamed it on limp wristing but once he fired it and I fired his gl--- with no problems he advised me to send it back. I really love the way the gun feels and it so nice to carry on my side. I guess I'm just frustrated. I do question if I should have bought something else and spent a couple of more $ but I think that is a normal reaction when ever you buy anything that has problems

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Glad to hear you did clean it first and if the range officer fired it, and has the same problems, I would suggest you give Taurus a call and explain the problem. Limp wristing was going to be my next guess, but it doesn't sound like that. Do not hesitate to let them know that the range officer had the same problem. Ask for a free shipping label, if the gun is new and under 6 months of ownership. If you meet those criteria, insist on the free label or ask to speak to a supervisor if they refuse. Be firm and polite with them. They will get your gun taken care of and back to you pretty quick. They will send you an e-mail stating 6 weeks, but that is standard and recent return times have been less than 1/2 that. Good luck and let us know how it goes and when you get it back how it shoots. The 709 is a great little gun, but with mass production, sometimes one slips through the cracks that needs a little extra TLC.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The three P's work wonders.
Politeness
Patience
Persistence

Reactions: TXEric

·
Registered
693 Posts
I bought an early 709 and had FTE issues. Playing with my ammo selection (not that anyone can do that today!) I found that it liked Federal Brass and disliked Winchester. I never sent it back and kept shooting what it seemed to like. After about 800 rounds I rolled the dice and bought some WWB. Low and behold, it fed, fired, extracted and ejected every round/casing. I can't explain it other than to say some sort of break-in took place. Now I can't even recall my last failure. But I can say I love my 709. I hope you can be patient because the payoff can be huge. Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
It would appear that one person's problems are going to haunt anyone with a PT709. If, as that poster seems determined to do, they blame the design and/or materials, perhaps they could respond to the simple fact that so many people are having zero problems with the extractor or ejector of their own 709 pistol? At extended round counts? I just finished putting another two boxes of Winchester 124 gr. +P through mine. The total is now approaching 2000 rounds, on the original parts. At 2000 rounds, I will be replacing the recoil spring, and chugging on.

Most of the 709 problems stem from cleanliness, dis-assembly, and reduced sight radius issues. This clouds the overall picture. I have no doubt that some guns are faulty, just how many, and why, is a matter of opinion.

Had I haunted forums with my tales of woe with S&W, Sig, and HK, I would have been called a troll. Also, following the logic provided, how could I ever trust a gun that cracked it's slide, broke the hand on the first shot, or came from the factory with a bad barrel? As these were problems that are relatively rare, shouldn't I have expected a replacement, then, and not a repair? After all, that is apparently what those with problems in a Taurus expect.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1 - 14 of 14 Posts