Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new 709,took it home and gave a good cleaning.

First couple mags it was flawless Then it failed to feed. New gun break in period?

After each failure I could manually rack the slide and it loaded just fine.*Then started to happen more frequently. After about 75 rounds it was almost every other shot sometimes 2-3 in a row.*I came in cleaned everything again went back out and a full mag flawless. Next mag it started again.*This is my first semi-auto. But been shooting rifles and shotguns majority of my life.

Also when I have the ftfeed issues when I do finish the mag the slide doesn't lock back. On the times I don't have a feeding issue it locks back when empty

*What could be causing it not to pick up the next round?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
SInce this is a new gun, this could be caused by a few things, first the gun needs to have all the packing grease cleaned out. Make sure that you are cleaning everything extremely well including the firing in channel. Do this several times and flush everything really goo with "Breakfree" or "Gunscrubber".

Second, the infamous "limp wristing" can cause feed and ejection issues. You must keep a secure grip on the firearm and provide a solid foundation for the slide to work against. If the gun is twisting or jerking excessively when you fire it, the recoil spring cannot cycle the slide correctly and thus you will get ejection and feed issues. Since you stated the issue starts after a couple of magazines and gets worse the more you shoot, I am suspecting that this may be the problem. To determine if limp wristing is the culprit, have someone else fire the firearm and see if the problem persists.

If the problem only exists when you are firing the firearm, them the issue is probably the way you are holding the firearm. Continue to practice and break in the gun some more. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol I knew you were going to say that. I've been shooting my dad's new P-95 and never had a limp wristing problem. I realize I'm this is a much lighter gun but I really don't find the recoil bad at all.

I'm pretty sure it's not a limp wristing issue. My grip was solid and firm, especially since I was experiencing issues. I was very deliberate in making sure that wasn't the case.
That being said I'm going to take it and let dad shoot a few after work and see how it goes.

I'm think maybe the magazine spring not pushing up enough? Try stretching the spring out a little? The last round isnt overly difficult to load. I recall reading threads about on new mags the spring bring so tight you can't hardly load the last round without a loader.*
Just looking for a "simple" solution short of sending the mag back to Taurus. No one in town has magazines and they're $75+ on ebay right now.

This ^ Is from another forum I also post in so forgive me if it's kinda repeating

I took it to my dad and we looked it over before firing. We polished the top lip of the mag with some ultra fine sandpaper then went and we both ran a couple mags through it with only one ftfeed out of about a total of 30 rounds.

I also did stretch the spring out a little also. Which also seemed to help.
Could it be a weak spring?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really love this gun and want it to work. It's the perfect size for ccw.
I plan on it being my EDC so reliability is a must.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
It could be a weak spring and I understand how reliability is a must on a CCW piece. Have you tried taking the magazine apart and cleaning it? If this does not help, I am sure someone else who has more experience with this firearm will be along soon to give more advice.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've put 500+ through my 709 using 3 different mags and I haven't found the magazine difficult to load, nor have I read bout that being an issue on this board so that comment from another board might be an individual's opinion (more commonly called bs).

On that subject, did you breakdown the mag and clean it as well? I didn't find much packing grease, but I did find the end plate hangs slightly due to the end of spring catching on the sides of the mag......if assembled incorrectly.

Other than still being low and left I have no reservations about this being my EDC, I just aim 4" towards 2 o'clock at 15 yards and my grouping is tight!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I did break down and clean the mag several times. I wish I could find another mag to try, but I refuse to pay $75 for one.
Retail here is $36 but everyone is out of stock.

I'm just going to keep shooting it and see if it will break in. I have a range out my back door so range time isn't an issue, the availability of ammo, on the other hand is
:(

Reactions: NCSmokey

·
Registered
313 Posts
If I understand, when the slide cycles fast (like after a shot) the slide fails to strip the next round from the magazine and the slide closes on an empty chamber. If so, possible causes are:

1. slide does not travel sufficiently aft on the frame to clear the base of the casing. Could be limp wristing, weak ammo, excessive recoil spring force, of mechanical drag between frame and slide.

2. magazine fails to pop up next round when slide fully aft. Could be a weak magazine spring, binding by follower, or debris/goo retarding follower.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Scott, that's exactly what's happening.
I'm leaning towards a magazine issue.
I could be wrong but
1) never happens on first couple rounds
2) when I'm experiencing the issue the slide fails to lock back when empty

I have had 2-3 where the slide closed on a half loaded round.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
The 709 is a different animal to shoot correctly. Glad to hear you have a range out back and I hear you on finding more ammo. I would not stretch the spring any more, but I would suggest you take the magazine down again and look closely at the follower. There may be a little edge around the outside where the two halves of the mold it was made in come together. You can sand this edge down smooth with the side of the follower and also look for a little tit that may also stick out. This is where they inject the plastic in the mold. This can also be sanded down. You are looking for anything that may cause it to hang up. I really think, even if you don't want to hear this, you may be limp wristing it a little. I had the same problem and worked on my grip and form and it went away. Something about the size to round ratio makes them cycle funny without that solid foundation. If you are shooting 115 GR. ammo, you might want to try 124 GR., but finding it may be difficult to find. If you use a two handed grip, try turning your elbows outward instead of down when you pull the trigger. It helps control recoil and just may fix the problem. Please let us know how it turns out and if you need to call Taurus customer service, I am sure they will get you up and running in no time.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I can just echo what HD-Mike said. When I cleaned my mag after I first got it, I noticed the irregularities in the plastic follower and touched it up with one of my wife's emery boards (don't tell her!!), but frankly I don't know if it would have caused an issue - just decided to smooth it out.

I do notice that I haven't had any issues with 124-gr rounds, as the 124g Gold Dots are what I carry.
I had maybe 2 FTF's in the first week, but I was using steel case Monarch, so I blamed them on that ammo.
It's been flawless with everything I fed it since.

You don't by chance have a grip extension on, do you? I know some have had issues due to excessive "pinky pressure" on the bottom of the mag causing feed problems.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys
I'll breakdown the mag again tonight and look it over again

No on the extention but have on order

I did find a new mag at a local shop today!!! At a very reasonable price too.

Now if the rain will let up I'll give it another run.

I know this isn't the "right" forum but while I was there I got my wife a new Ruger P95. :)

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Thanks guys
I'll breakdown the mag again tonight and look it over again

No on the extention but have on order

I did find a new mag at a local shop today!!! At a very reasonable price too.

Now if the rain will let up I'll give it another run.

I know this isn't the "right" forum but while I was there I got my wife a new Ruger P95. :)
Hey, we don't discriminate here!
Love Ruger as well...

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Failure to feed many times is about slide speed!
so thats where the limb wristing comes in, it takes power out of the spring as the limp wrist/arms act as shock absorbers!
other things that casue this is under powered ammo, weak recoil springs, a dirty weapon when the slide is gummed up and "BIG FAT FINGERS CONTACTING THE SLIDE as the gun is fired.
hope this may help a bit.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Think I might of found the problem.*Bad magazine*If you push up even slightly on the rear of the follower it will go almost vertical.*I got a new mag today that doesn't have near that much play.*I ran 3 mags without any issues at all.

Now if I can get a couple hundred rounds through it I'll fully trust it as my EDC

Thanks again for all the input.
The other boards wear me out with all the Taurus bashing, I'm glad I found this forum.

Reactions: TXEric

·
Registered
8 Posts
Think I might of found the problem.*Bad magazine*If you push up even slightly on the rear of the follower it will go almost vertical.*I got a new mag today that doesn't have near that much play.*I ran 3 mags without any issues at all.

Now if I can get a couple hundred rounds through it I'll fully trust it as my EDC

Thanks again for all the input.
The other boards wear me out with all the Taurus bashing, I'm glad I found this forum.
I also have been having problems with the slide not locking back after the last round with my 709.
After reading the replys from my post on the problem and the replys from your post I took my magazine apart and found some very slight burs on the follower and used an emory board to file them down and also stretched the spring out some. Just finished putting one round in the magazine and went outside and shot it and the slide did lock back. Hope that solved the problem. Will have to wait to daylight to get down to the woods to shoot some more to see it that was the problem. Hopefully that has fixed it. I hope so because I really like this pistol.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The new one rocks a little but the original one goes practically vertical with very little pressure.

Really hope this solves my problem

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All signs point to a bad magazine

See my range report thread for the latest :)

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
313 Posts
...I know this isn't the "right" forum but while I was there I got my wife a new Ruger P95.
The P95 is a best buy in full-size pistols and has been for some time. It's rugged, reliable, well made, and low priced. The negatives are: the grip is big for some hands, grip texture is minimal (EZ fix with grip tape), and the safety that operates in reverse from most pistols (down is safe/decock). These may or may not matter to you.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
All signs point to a bad magazine
See my range report thread for the latest :)
Thanks for all the input.
I don't recall if this was a new 709 or not?/
IF it was i would contact Taurus and see if they wouldn't let me mail it in (just the bad mag)and them replace it with another new magazine, or they might just send you a new one.
worth a shot!

Reactions: MissKitty
1 - 20 of 25 Posts