Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I bought a beautiful new .38 special ultra lite with a 2.5" barrel for $249 and looked up the serial number on Taurus's website fine and received the model number 2-850039UL and it was made in 2011 but the model does not exist on Taurus's website or at least I can not find it anywhere. Anyone know where this may be on their website? I just want to make 100% sure it is a +P as the salesman stated.

I was thinking of getting a Smith and Wesson until I picked this Taurus up and just fell in love with it.

A big thanks to anyone that can help!

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I owned one a few months back..they were on sale at different sites for the past few weeks.....they can handle +P...but...I'd would recreational shoot with standard pressure and limit +p use ..it maybe will cause accelerated wear and tear on the gun and you....

I really like to practice with Wadcutters...accurate and fun !!!! and good for SD for some people..(me)

·
Registered
29,949 Posts
It 's a M85 with an aluminum alloy frame, and I doubt any of us could afford enough +P ammo to cause enough exessive wear to worry about.

Today's +P ammo is actually loaded pretty mild and doesn't up a short barrel revolvers performance measurebly.

I advise everyone to stick with standard pressure loads and practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I purchased one (Matte SS) 2.5 in barrel. It was not in catalog, The 2-850039ul was a distributors special, they sold quick.

17ozs dry weight, good shooter, It is rated for +P and will be chambered so for CCW. IMHO shooting +p change to Hogue grips

BTW it was purchased for 250.00 plus 25 for FFL, in case anyone was wondering.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Everyone!!! My mind is now at ease regarding the +P issue and I am completely enjoying this new firearm, it has become my everyday carry.

Cheers to Taurus for giving me this little gem for an AMAZING price!!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Love the 2.5 barrel length, if you want a nice compliment pick up the combat grip from Taurus for $9.00 + shipping. It is a great grip for target shooting. I use it for carry as well, it includes the pinky:)

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks Everyone!!! My mind is now at ease regarding the +P issue and I am completely enjoying this new firearm, it has become my everyday carry.

Cheers to Taurus for giving me this little gem for an AMAZING price!!!
:nopics:eek:f your new Taurus revolver! Just sayin'. ;)

Reactions: Si_Newton

·
Registered
50 Posts
kinda neat that its a distributors special. i have one identical to it on layaway at my local gun shop after reading about it being a distributors special im happy i put it in layaway so i wont miss out on it

·
32,661 Posts
Why not give the Speer Gold Dot Short barrel 135gr. +P version for use?

One gives up little or nothing to the 158gr. LSWCHP +P versions.
Buffalo Bore Ammunition | Strictly Big Bore - Strictly Business makes two really good standard pressure .38 Special rounds that have +P velocities, but not the recoil and noise.

Corbon rounds of any kind would also be good picks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for the link Qwiks draw, the knowledge and info shared on this forum is one of it's great attributes....carry on

·
Registered
233 Posts
Love the 2.5 barrel length, if you want a nice compliment pick up the combat grip from Taurus for $9.00 + shipping. It is a great grip for target shooting. I use it for carry as well
+1 for that combat grip! Its awesome. Here's a link to where you can order them on the Taurus site - and Here's a pic:
http://www.taurususa.com/images/4-304.jpg 4-304.jpg TIP: If you order one, ORDER A GRIP SCREW too. It will probably only cost you an additional dollar or two, and the shipping will be about the same, but if your grip screw gets stripped or whatever, you will have the grip screw handy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts