Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been looking for some night sights for my 24/7 gen 2. I was thinking about fiber optics and night sights. Then a friend told me about glow-on.com, i was like what no way, we then went out shooting at night to test out his sights on his pistol. (they are factory sights) But he put on the glow-on paint and wow it looks brighter then the metprolight or trujico night sights they are fantastic so i ordered some.

I will post some pictures before and after once i get it .

I also did a little research and found this .HERE

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Some of the vendors of these phosphorescent paints claim that they'll glow for twelve hours after fifteen minutes under a black light. If that's true, then they might be a replacement for tritium sights. I'd be interested in knowing how long the paint remains visible after you charge it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

·
Registered
36,111 Posts
Some of the vendors of these phosphorescent paints claim that they'll glow for twelve hours after fifteen minutes under a black light. If that's true, then they might be a replacement for tritium sights. I'd be interested in knowing how long the paint remains visible after you charge it.
Yes, but remember that the glow from phos paints lose the brightness evenly so you don't have that nice bright glow all that length of time.
Glow time is dependent on the color of the paint, generally the green or yellow has the longest glow.
CZ has several weapons that come with phosphorescent sights from the factory I understand that was a chec police requirement.
they are not as good as Tritium however
I have both by the way.
as long a the Phos sights are fully charged they work pretty good however.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Yes, but remember that the glow from phos paints lose the brightness evenly so you don't have that nice bright glow all that length of time.
Glow time is dependent on the color of the paint, generally the green or yellow has the longest glow.
CZ has several weapons that come with phosphorescent sights from the factory I understand that was a chec police requirement.
they are not as good as Tritium however
I have both by the way.
as long a the Phos sights are fully charged they work pretty good however.
I have a couple of Tristar CZ clones that have phosphorescent sights, but I haven't tried charging them under a strong UV light for 15 minutes to an hour. (Guess I need to break down and buy a 110V UV lamp.:smile:) With a few seconds charge under a UV flashlight, they go dim in less than an hour. For the pistol kept in my car, I prefer to rely on tritium sights, especially in winter when it's dark during both morning and evening drive times.

·
22,061 Posts
Any phosphorescent paint that doesn't have a power source (tritium or batteries) is going to have an exponential decay - in other words, the light output will drop rapidly at first, then taper off. Maybe they still glow after 12 hours, sure, but it might be with one tenth the intensity that they did at the start time.

I was going to be satisfied with phosphor paint activated by black light if I could get it to last through a movie, so it was useful when I came out of the theater. No joy.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,111 Posts
I find personally with guns that I carry in open ended holsters that are on the hip and can have sunlight do well, other than that the useful glow times is somewhat short for me.
OF course the uncharged sights are no worse than standard dot sights, just they may not be a lot of advantage long term carry either.

Reactions: mwj999

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I was going to be satisfied with phosphor paint activated by black light if I could get it to last through a movie, so it was useful when I came out of the theater. No joy.
Bummer, dude!:) How long did you have the phosphor exposed to the black light?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Tried an experiment with the Nitesighters on my PT-92 last night. Took the pistol from a case, in which it had sat for several days. lluminated the sights with a UV flashlight for a timed minute, first the rear sight, then the front. Left the pistol in a dark room (the can actually:D), under a towel, for an hour. After the hour, the Nitesighters were barely visible held close to my eye, but not useful as gun sights. I was unable to pick up the front sight in a shooting position. I had intended to post video, but the Nitesighters were not visible on iPhone video after an hour in darkness. I'll try charging the sights for two minutes tonight. Two minutes is about as long as I'm willing to stand around holding a UV flashlight next to my sights. Longer than that seems like Manuel labor.:D If I ever get around to buying a 110V UV lamp, I'll try that experiment.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for the test results, hopefully a longer charge time with result in a better glow duration.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Never used any night sights of any type or brand myself.........but while working on a door at a deputy's house, I saw him walk outside with 3 pistol slides and set them on the fence rail. He said something along the lines of : "Two hours and they will be all set."

Again, not sure what brand or style sights he had, but he charged them in the sun. This was around last June or so.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Tried the same experiment as in post #10 above, but with two minutes illumination of the Nitesighters with a UV flashlight. The result was the same. After an hour, the Nitesighters still glowed dimly, but could be seen only if held close to my eye. In a Weaver stance, I couldn't see the front sight. I didn't check at shorter intervals because my daily commute is about an hour, in darkness during the winter. A sight that glow brightly enough to be visible after an hour is useless to me.

If I get hold of a 110 UV lamp, I'll repeat the experment with it.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I did the some testing with flori paints and glow powders but did not find any that I liked. When I got my 24/7 there were no after market sites so I went with a streamlight laser. I don't carry it, used as an office gun/target fun so having the light/laser fit the bill.

·
Registered
27,177 Posts
FYI: Trijicon markets sights for Taurus models PT111, PT132, PT138, PT140, PT145.

I know they make/have made others as I have them, but I don't know how or if you can get them.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Never used any night sights of any type or brand myself.........but while working on a door at a deputy's house, I saw him walk outside with 3 pistol slides and set them on the fence rail. He said something along the lines of : "Two hours and they will be all set."

Again, not sure what brand or style sights he had, but he charged them in the sun. This was around last June or so.
I live in Houston, so leaving firearms out in the sun unattended is not an option. Actually, leaving anything out in the sun unattended in Houston is a bad idea.:(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts