Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just got my 1911 stainless today. This is my first pistol. I know how to clean my shotguns and rifles and have an idea about pistols. The gun came with a heavy oil or grease on it. Does this gun need to be cleaned before I shoot it for the first time? If so should I strip it down or just clean the outside and swab the barrel? Thanks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Welcome from the Land of Lincoln. Yes, you want to disassemble and give the pistol a detailed cleaning. That oil is more a preservative than a lubricant and will foul easily.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes! You need to clean your PT 1911.

The packing grease that ships on the Taurus's is a nasty substance that just attracts everything. When I got my PT 1911, I field stripped it completely and cleaned off all the packing grease, then I lightly put some shooter's choice grease on the slide & some of the internals. After the break-in period, I generally switch from the shooter's choice grease to a light oil except on locations that show more signs of wear than the others.

Edit: Of course, I also cleaned the barrel, outside the slide/frame, inside the slide and then went over it with a Kleenbore oil-cloth.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thats what I will do! Thanks for the replies so far guys. I am a little nervous about taking it apart, things seem to never go back together for me! I will do it later or in the morning before I go shoot.

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
I've had mine eight days and 350+ rounds so far. Just like yours. Clean it, and follow the instructions in the owners manual. It's easier than it sounds. Shoot and enjoy, I do. :thumb: :thumb: :zzz:

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Mine was pretty greasy as well, so I cleaned it before using it...

1911's are fairly easy to take apart, the hardest part is to put the slide stocp back in (esp. without scratching the slide or frame)...

·
32,760 Posts
Don't forget the firing pin channel may need a cleaning out with toothpicks, dental pick or cotton swabs and a little solvent. Might be other nooks and crannies need that kind of attention also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts