Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a new 145 MilPro for a month or so. This thing throws brass everywhere. I need a spotter to watch where my brass is flying. Anyone experience the same?

Found a couple extra mags at a not-so-local shop. All of my mags seem to seat better the longer they are left loaded and the more they are used.

Got it to fit a Serpa holster for a HK USP 2000 with a few modifications. I relieved the sight channel a bit, beveled the side where the controls ride, slight relief of the bottom of trigger guard and a fair amount of relief of the front of trigger guard to get it to snap under the plastic button snap. I took out the tension screw and also the plastic tension spring because it fits like a glove and doesn't wiggle at all. With the belt tension sliders above my belt, this holster hangs just an inch or so below my belt.

It shoots just a bit low as tested from a bench rest. I'm loading lead SWCs and Nosler HP and it eats them just fine. I wanted to chrono the loads the other day but my battery was dead, so that will have to wait til another day.

The funny thing is, I had bought dies and components to load for my sons 45 and figured what the heck, I'm getting a 45 too! We both like the 145.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Congrats on the new PT145! I love mine, but they do tend to throw the brass somewhat erratically. Mine was really bad when it was new, and I found that the extractor was waaaaay too loose. I tightened it up a bit, and tweaked the ejector, and it behaves pretty well now. I get the odd under-powered round's brass aimed at my forehead, but I also run a heavier recoil spring in mine due to a lot of +P's exiting the muzzle. With +P or stiff standard velocity ammo it ejects in a pretty consistent pattern.

Here's the starting point - make sure your extractor has the proper tension on it. Extractor tension is really kind of a misnomer on this setup - it would be more accurate to say you're checking to make sure the stop block on the extractor is at the proper 'level.' The tension is actually applied by the spring, and you can't change that unless you change the spring. You can adjust it such that the claw grabs the recess of the case head before the stop block bottoms out, and that's how you adjust the 'tension' on a milpro. Anyway, here's a short video that will show you how to check your extractor tension. It's for a 1911, but the same check works for pretty much any semi auto...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, dbeardslee. Case is very loose under the extractor. So much so that the extractor is contacting case where the bevel starts to expand into the full diameter of the case. How do I adjust the extractor?

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Thanks, dbeardslee. Case is very loose under the extractor. So much so that the extractor is contacting case where the bevel starts to expand into the full diameter of the case. How do I adjust the extractor?
1911's grip the cartridge by the case head, but the milpro extractors grip the cartridge in the recess. The tip of the claw should only touch the flat part of the recess, and it should be angled on the front so it doesn't touch the angled part of the recess.

Will it hold the cartridge in place or does it fall out when the slide is held in the 'firing orientation?' If it falls out you'll need to adjust the stop block, but if it holds the round you should be okay. If it holds the round in place, before you rip into it, let's check something else.

Can you get a good pic of the ejector? It's the flat piece of metal that sticks up a little left of center in the rear of the frame. What I'm interested in is the tip of the ejector. The angle on the end determines the lift imparted to the casing, and it's easy to get milpros to eject so flat that the cartridges will actually hit the bottom of the ejection port. That can cause casings to actually eject to the left, or right into your face. Anyway, I need to see a pic.

Another thing that can cause ejection issues actually doesn't have anything to do with the hardware. If you limp wrist a PT145 it can cause erratic ejection as well. You need a firm push/pull grip, and you need to keep your wrists locked for them to work the best. The cartridge is pushing back on the slide, and you need to give it something to push against. If you allow the weapon to rapidly twist in your hand it steals some of the energy that would normally be sending the slide back. End result is a slide that doesn't go back fast enough to energetically eject the casing. Limp wristing can cause various and sundry issues.

I went through all kinds of pains with mine to tune the ejection pattern, and you really need to know what the brass is doing to make the proper adjustment to the ejector. It's almost impossible to catch when you're the shooter. It's easier with slow mo video, but the easiest way is to have someone else do the shooting from a seated position while you stand above and behind them. You can see what the brass is doing pretty good from there, but make sure whoever does the shooting uses a very firm grip. Wear some safety glasses too, 'cause in that position some of the brass might have your name on it.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Just for grins, here's a short video of my PT145 after tweaking the pattern. This is as good as I could get it, and if you watch close you'll see that it's fairly consistent but not 100%. You'll also notice the pattern tends to be better with the higher pressure ammo, which may be due to the heavier spring I have installed. Which brings up another issue - your ammo choice will also have a bearing on the ejection pattern. My experience has been that the more underpowered the ammo, the more erratic the ejection. YMMV

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry it took me so long to figure out how to put these pics on here. They're not good pics but i hope you can see how much room there is between the case rim and the extractor. Again, i have had no malfunctions with either my lead plinking loads or the full power jhp loads i have tried. I will try to take a better pic of the ejector to put on here later with a better camera than my cell. Just in case i ever have any problems with ejection or extraction i know i can trust you guys for a remedy or two.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Sorry it took me so long to figure out how to put these pics on here. They're not good pics but i hope you can see how much room there is between the case rim and the extractor. Again, i have had no malfunctions with either my lead plinking loads or the full power jhp loads i have tried. I will try to take a better pic of the ejector to put on here later with a better camera than my cell. Just in case i ever have any problems with ejection or extraction i know i can trust you guys for a remedy or two.

Thanks.
They've all got a little wiggle room between the claw and the breech face - regardless of manufacturer. From the pic it looks a little wider than some, but not excessive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.