Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newbie to reloading I'm trying to read all I can, watch all the videos I can and haunt the forums trying to learn as much as I can.

One lesson learned: I was told by someone who I trust their advice and who has given me good help with other aspects of my very short reloading experience. I was having a little trouble getting consistent powder throws, one or two tenths variation. In an effort to solve this problem I took the suggestion to run graphite through the powder measure. Boy was that a mistake!!! What a mess!!! I had graphite everywhere and it caked on the walls of the measure. It took me an hour or so to clean the measure, bench and floor. Some spots on the bench I just can't get clean. Maybe with this second good scrubbing my problem is solved, but I'll never use graphite again that's for sure....

·
Registered
199 Posts
what ive found that gave me consistent throws from the get go, was to...
carefully set and hold my funnel against the hole in the disk you want to use and pour powder through it.
(holding the disk above the powder container, and pouring from the hopper)
it has the same effect as running powder through the measure, but does it a whole lot faster.

if youre not careful doing it that way, you can make quite a mess and have a lot of powder to clean up.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Sometimes whichever way you are doing it, it is static electricity. In my progressive press, I run a dryer sheet thru the powder drop before putting any powder in it and I don't have to worry about any sticking to the cylinder. Anything that is plastic this will work well on

Reactions: Wingshot

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using a Hornady LNL Progressive with the case activated power measure.

I did use the dryer sheet the last time I reloaded, that did help with the static problems in the hopper.

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Sometimes whichever way you are doing it, it is static electricity. In my progressive press, I run a dryer sheet thru the powder drop before putting any powder in it and I don't have to worry about any sticking to the cylinder. Anything that is plastic this will work well on
Yup........the good old dryer sheet. The hopper and the dispenser get clogged from static electricity. It makes the powder stick to anything.
After about every 500 rounds I empty the hopper and dispenser, clean it out and wipe it down with a dryer sheet.
This is especially important in a dry winter climate. I can zap my dog with bolt of lightning 1/2 way across the room just by rubbing my feet on the carpet.:D

To help with static electricity I have my reloading bench and chair sitting on 3/4" plywood. I have the bench also sitting on a rubber hallway runner.
I will do anything to prevent myself from going KABOOM.

Some people polish the inside of the metal bowl the hopper is sitting on to a bright shine. It helps get more consistent throws.
You have to remove the baffle first of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.