Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from picking up my Ruger LCP (Thanks, Frank V!). I have a Nevada CFP (Utah, too) so I did not have to pay the $25 background check fee. It is one of the reasons I like having my permit.

As I was finishing up the paperwork, the clerk informed me that the BATF has determined there is a "technical error" in Nevada law. Due to this error, all CFP holders will have to go through a $25 background check, starting July 1st.

I'm pretty bummed right now. :???:

[Edit]
I found this posted on http://art1sec11.blogspot.com/

Monday, June 2, 2008
Screwed Once More By BATFE!!

Well folks, the frickin’ idiots over at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives have done it again! Let me take you back to October 2005. At that time the BATFE determined that the Nevada Concealed Firearms Permit was no longer a valid determinate for exemption from having to go through the NICS/Brady background check when a permit holder wished to purchase a firearm. From October 2005 until January 2006 all of us who had valid permits had to undergo another background check, at a charge of $25, in order to obtain a firearm from a licensed dealer.

Thousands of us were really pissed off by this! We got the Nevada Sheriff’s and Chief’s Assoc. to take action and BATFE backed off. The Sheriff’s Assoc. “warned” us that the state must pass particular legislation or we would lose our privilege again. Do any of you remember proposed Assembly Bill 21 from the last legislative session? This was the bill that the Sheriff’s Assoc. promoted saying it would make Nevada compliant with the new BATFE requirements.

AB 21 went down in defeat to the chagrin of the Sheriff’s lobby. Why was it defeated? The NSCA wanted to raise CFP fees by over 100% for new permits and increase renewal fees from $15 to $125!! The Judiciary Committee couldn’t be shown by the NSCA that this was necessary and it lost.

So now comes the BATFE, more than a year after AB 21 was defeated, and says “Since legislation was not passed to bring Nevada CFP’s in compliance then it no longer will serve to exempt permit holders from the NICS/Brady background check and it’s attendant fees”

BATFE has sent an “Open Letter To All Nevada Federal Firearms Licensees” recapping this and telling your local, friendly FFL that as of July 1, 2008 they must run NICS/Brady background checks on all Nevada CFP holders that had been previously exempt.

Where do we go from here? I really don’t know. When BATFE tried to do this to Wyoming a couple of year’s ago the Wyoming Attorney General filed suit against BATFE and they backed down. Could we get our AG to do the same? Probably not. Catherine Cortez Masto has never shown any interest in firearm related issues, though I don’t know that any have been presented to her either.

My best suggestion is to tell your local, friendly FFL that you probably will be buying fewer firearms from him than in the past—sorry about that Glen, but it’s principle thing. Perhaps these guys will then get off their butts and call their legislators, etc. This is, after all, an election year. Nothing gets their juices flowing more than to be told that contributions to their campaign will be curtailed.

Additionally it wouldn’t hurt if you contacted your State Senator and Assemblyman and told them that a federal bureaucracy is holding us up, once again!!
[/Edit]

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Georgia was told by BATFE that it's CCW licenses were also insufficient for the NICS check. They tightened everything up, and we can now use our CCW in lieu of the NICS. HOWEVER, NICS doesn't charge anything for the phone call!! It's either your dealers, or some state shenanigans that costs $25.00.

Maryland requires that all handguns, and some rifles and shotguns (as Restricted Weapons) go through a State Police check. Maryland also has a seven day waiting period. State paperwork then takes the place of the NICS check (they do it for you), and they charge $10.00. However, you still get to fill out the 4473 for the feds at the time of sale. The state does, however, give you paperwork indicating the sale was "not disapproved", and registration data. :mad:

At least they do offer something for the $10.00 fee. You're being flat taken advantage of, with or without a CCW.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What is up with the $25.00 NICS fee???

We don't have that here in Missouri. Then again, we still have to fill out the 4473 every time we buy a gun from an FFL. CCW permit does not override the NICS in this state.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
CCW doesn't override the 4473 in any state, as it's a federal program for ALL firearm sales.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
RJT CCW said:
What is up with the $25.00 NICS fee???
There is no $25.00 NICS fee. It's called a dealer making a little extra cash off of a transfer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
There is no $25.00 NICS fee. It's called a dealer making a little extra cash off of a transfer.
Well that just sucks. I can see a dealer doing it if you are buying the gun from lets say Gunbroker, but to charge $25.00 for making a phone call on an in-house sale. Yipe! Bad business in my book.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
God here in Utah it is only $8.50 unless you have a CFP, then there is no cost. You folks in Nevada are getting ripped off.

·
Administrator
40,388 Posts
Could be a departmental thing. Around here there is no NICS check if you have a CHL. Calls are made to the County Sheriffs office if you don't have one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts