Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a comet that will be visible under the big dipper until July 27.
Northwest in between the horizon and the big dipper just after dark. It was low tonight and set about 10pm. Google the name and you will see tracking info.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I'm a astronomy nut - I'll be watching!! Hopefully this time there won't be any nutballs getting prepared to travel to the mothership behind the comet.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a astronomy nut - I'll be watching!! Hopefully this time there won't be any nutballs getting prepared to travel to the mothership behind the comet.
yea , always have some idiots that don't know comets only drop off and never pick up.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
I just saw it. Due to city light pollution about five miles away, it was difficult to spot, but once spotted, it became very obvious. The "tail" looked very fuzzy - like smoke. Right now, it's definitely a binocular object, but it might be brighter later. Now, I can at least say I saw it. Sure as heck no Hale-Bop.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just saw it. Due to city light pollution about five miles away, it was difficult to spot, but once spotted, it became very obvious. The "tail" looked very fuzzy - like smoke. Right now, it's definitely a binocular object, but it might be brighter later. Now, I can at least say I saw it. Sure as heck no Hale-Bop.
I haven't looked yet. Its to low on the horizon and light pollution is bad in that direction. I'm going out in the boat in a few day to get a clear view away from the lights. Best view is 23rd.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As seen from the space station.

[video]https://www.space.com/comet-neowise-visible-evening-sky-july-2020.html?jwsource=cl[/video]

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Went out tonight but could not see it. Moon was not up yet here in NTX. Just went out again at 10:30p. The dipper, Arcturis, and Polaris are easily visible but again, Neowise I could not see. Jupiter is very clearly visible as is Saturn in the southwest, and if I squint tightly I can just make out Uranus winking. <ahem>

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Got a pretty good look at it tonight. Its kinda' cosmically mind blowing to know that that is a comet streaking by the earf. Did see it pretty well.

·
Super Moderator
40,387 Posts
Been looking can't see it, too many clouds. Will try again tonight.

·
21,930 Posts
yea , always have some idiots that don't know comets only drop off and never pick up.
I KNEW I was packing this gobag for nothing! :mad:

I'll try to check for it tonight. Never ween what I'd call an impressive comet. Halley's was such a letdown, really.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
I KNEW I was packing this gobag for nothing! :mad:

I'll try to check for it tonight. Never ween what I'd call an impressive comet. Halley's was such a letdown, really.
I'm afraid you're in store for another letdown - like Halley. Neowise is getting higher in the sky shortly after sunset, but as of last night it was still a "binocular item". It's still dim and fuzzy. I thought about getting the spotting scope out and see if it beats a 7 x 50 binocular.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm going to try looking for it tomorrow by heading out to the beach where the city lights won't interfere with the view. Now, I wonder if we'll hear some nut jobs on CNN claim that the comet is on a collision course with Earth (which is the plot of a new film coming out in August called, "Greenland.")

·
21,930 Posts
Wow, it looks great from here tonight! May even try a photo! Best comet I've ever seen!

·
21,930 Posts
Well, a couple of the photos are worth posting.

DSC01401a.jpg

DSC01410a.JPG

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Finally a picture that gives me a clue where to look.

5 minutes after I posted the above line I was outside looking and found it but only with binoculars. Thanks for the clue.

·
Super Moderator
40,387 Posts
What magnification did you use to get that picture? Still raining here so no chance to see it yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts