Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove by my LGS and indoor range the other night and it was swarmed with caution tape, police cars and an ambulance. Apparently someone was killed in a negligent discharge. No information has been released as to the specifics, but it does not surprise me. I only go to this range because there are not really any other options.

The owner and all the staff are excellent to deal with, but there has always been a severe lack of rule enforcement on the range. There is no dedicated RO, and the only time I've seen anyone be reprimanded by staff was for rapid fire(minimum 2 seconds required between shoots). They get a lot of new shooters because they offer rental guns, but other than explaining the basic controls, there is no safety training.

I really hope the shop/range can recover from this incident and use it as motivation to improve their range safety practices.

Anyone else have local ranges with poor safety enforcement?

·
8,902 Posts
Sorry to hear about the tragedy. I have my own ranges on my property now. But I went to three different ranges while in Houston, all three had full time RO's. Odd for an active range not to have an RO hanging around.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
We've had incidences at the indoor range (including a suicide). I'm stuck with it for now since I bought the expensive membership, and to be honest I have not been there in a while. When I go back, it will be during hours I think few others will be there and never on a weekend.

My issue is they "watch" via a tv in another room that's frankly not that close to the bays, and isn't a deterrent for poor behavior. I've seen plenty of stupid things from new shooters, or just groups of people not being careful. I'd rather have an RO watching for real, or at least making constant rounds between the two rooms of bays. The owner has complained of having people shoot their equipment out that is costly. Increased physical presence of an RO might help with this kind of thing. By the time they see something on a tv, it's too late.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
The local indoor range I use is well ran. They have plenty of RSO's, and these RSO's use situational awareness constantly.
Now the outdoor range could be better, but it is a different story. It is more spread out, but could use more RSO's and a better group of clients in many ways.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
One of ours doesn't use RO's that I've ever seen. There is a big picture window across from the front counter that looks into the shooting range room. But the window is behind the shooters and therefore only views about 2 or 3 lanes of the 10 or so. I do believe they have a video feed looking down the hallway behind the shooters. But they would have to come around the counter, then back across the front of the counter to a door into a hallway then through a door into the range. So yeah they would be too late also.

And one time they were too late. At least for the one guy that rented a pistol and committed suicide with it... Though really, it would be hard even for a RO to stop that if the guy was that determined. This happened around 10 years ago now if I was to guess.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Sorry to hear about the tragedy. I have my own ranges on my property now. But I went to three different ranges while in Houston, all three had full time RO's. Odd for an active range not to have an RO hanging around.
Can I move in? Share the range love ha ha!

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
All we have is a wood lot with a target frame at one end and a home brew shooting bench on the firing line. I usually shoot alone, but when there are two or three other shooters, I am the RSO...

And they all know better than to argue with me if I call them out on a hazardous situation...

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
That's terrible, you'd think that having Range Officer on duty would be mandatory by now. Firearms are far too dangerous to be allowed to be fired en masse in close proximity to others without someone to supervise/enforce the rules. In a perfect world we wouldn't need ROs because everyone would constantly observe the safety rules, but sadly we don't live in a perfect world and some folks are completely negligent towards even the most basic/common sense safety rules, so you've got to have someone around to make sure that the rules are being strictly followed.

·
22,981 Posts
That's horrible to hear. Sure hope things improve, if that range survives!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
800 Posts
The range that I go to has no RSO that I have ever seen, either. They do have TV monitors but I don't ever see anyone dedicated to watching those, either. They might be recording just in case, though. For me, there has been more times when I am the only one using the range than there has been with fellow shooters in other lanes....but I am retired and when I go it is M-F during normal working hours. Never been there in the evenings or on a weekend as I much prefer to shoot alone or with only one or two others using the range.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
You can never be too careful and it only takes 1 person getting distracted or just plain pulling something stupid for someone to get hurt or killed. And once it happens they can not take it back no matter how bad they might want to ! That is why I am glad that I have enough room in the country to safely shoot without having to go to a range.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Sounds exactly like ouor indoor range- every now & then one of the guys from the gun sales counter walks back to the room with the windows into the FRONT range, 6 lanes, and they'll go in and make you slow down, but that's about it. The BACK range, 6 more lanes, has no windows so no one hardly ever checks in there. And the same with rental guns- they show you how to operate them and turn you loose.

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
The range that I belong to has a range clerk that is always in the range counter(just outside the actual range door), they have several cameras that cover the range area and several monitors to cover different angles.
additionally the individual lanes are separated by a ballistic shield that runs from the floor to about 8 feet tall.
I have seen several people reminded of safety violations, the second reminder normally gets you headed out the door.
they also require a form filled out and possible questions about your training/ability to properly handle a firearm before allowing you into the range area.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
530 Posts
Over the years, it seems like I've always shot at two kinds of ranges:

1. You have a guy (RSO) who bugs you to the point you just want to leave. I've gone a couple of times with guns to just test fire. I want to make sure they feed ok. I don't care about taking the time to shoot a tight group, I just want to put a hundred rounds through them as quickly as possible and get out in time to make it to work on time. I've been shooting since 1977, and I don't need someone giving me pointers about accuracy, like, "Slow down and you'll get a tighter group!". I actually had to tell the RSO's boss to get him to leave me alone, and stop talking to me. Making comments about my choices in guns isn't a help either. I don't like 1911's and your bugging me about my XXXXXXX just annoys me.
2. You have no RSO at all. I prefer this, to a point, but it depends on the other people shooting beside me.

I went to one recently and the RSO was very helpful, not in our faces, and he was only really involved with the newbies who had jamming issues with their $$$$ 1911s. When we went back, they had the #1 type of guy. We ended up complaining as we left. I wish I was loaded, I would build my own place. I already have the land to put it on.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Over the years, it seems like I've always shot at two kinds of ranges:

1. You have a guy (RSO) who bugs you to the point you just want to leave. I've gone a couple of times with guns to just test fire. I want to make sure they feed ok. I don't care about taking the time to shoot a tight group, I just want to put a hundred rounds through them as quickly as possible and get out in time to make it to work on time. I've been shooting since 1977, and I don't need someone giving me pointers about accuracy, like, "Slow down and you'll get a tighter group!". I actually had to tell the RSO's boss to get him to leave me alone, and stop talking to me. Making comments about my choices in guns isn't a help either. I don't like 1911's and your bugging me about my XXXXXXX just annoys me.
2. You have no RSO at all. I prefer this, to a point, but it depends on the other people shooting beside me.

I went to one recently and the RSO was very helpful, not in our faces, and he was only really involved with the newbies who had jamming issues with their $$$$ 1911s. When we went back, they had the #1 type of guy. We ended up complaining as we left. I wish I was loaded, I would build my own place. I already have the land to put it on.
I share your sentiment. I've got an outdoor range on my property, and I'm my own range master or RSO, :) but it's awful cold to do recreational shooting. If I was rich I'd probably build an indoor range as well.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Ft Worth has one on the South side of town that I simply refuse to go to. My last range trip, about 10 years ago, convinced me that someone was going to get killed there, and it wasn't going to be me. I was putting up a paper target on the 100 yd range when some yahoo decided it was time to start shooting - at a target next to mine. They did have a range officer, but I never recall seeing him sober.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I have seen problems at the local "public ranges" including some college students going down range during "live fire" to put their targets up. I have loaded up and left each time. This stuff is crazy. I will shoot on my farm and stay away from public ranges. If your life means "nothing" to you, that's fine, but mine means everything to me.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Not good. I can imagine that the range the OP is referring to, if it survives this incident, will be lax in the way they run things anymore.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts