Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
None of this has been reported in the local news as of yet, sorry I can’t back the story up.

This past weekend and one of the more popular resorts for partying, the sheriff department gets a call that a guest involved in a fight pulled a gun and fired it into the air. (Discharging a firearm in the county is against the law unless at a designated range or a SD situation) The guest then went and locked himself in the hotel room. Sheriff SWAT team arrived and gained access into the room arresting the guest.

Here is where the story gets interesting and has been told to me by hotel security and maintenance employees.

While clearing the room the sheriff finds a small locked door that looks like a closet. Guest says they have no idea what it goes to that it is locked and can only be opened with a key. Sheriff calls in hotel staff they verify it is not an adjoining room door by checking the room next door. Maintenance personnel report that it was an old maintenance access door that has not been used for years. They have no key for it. SWAT team members decides he wants to know what is behind the door, takes his AR style rifle and uses the butt of the stock to smash the door knob off the door. In the process his rifle discharges sending a bullet into the room above them, luckily the guests were not in there.

I am sure the small town bubba system will keep this out of the news. When I see one of the State troopers I know real well I will try and confirm this story.

Question I have. Can an AR-15 or M-16 rifle discharge with a sharp blow to the butt end of the rifle if the safety is off or on? I am guessing the safety was off and his finger was on the trigger as he tried to bust the door knob off the door.

Reactions: nut016 and darbo

·
Registered
27,638 Posts
I am sure your speculation is correct. Our troops have used gun butts creatively many times. We would know if there was an AD problem.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Joe Biden said to use a shotgun, a double barrel shotgun..

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I have read that some manufacturers make a harder primer specifically for 223 and since there is no firing pin spring, it MAY be possible but I seriously doubt it. Sounds like bad gun handling being covered up

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
24,852 Posts
The copper was lucky he didn't shoot himself

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But was the officer charged with ND?
What's good for the goose . . .
That is the strange part, the SWAT team does not get called out very often in this area, and there is no report of any of this incident in the local papers. I am still trying to get more information on it.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
let us know if you find out what happened but i want to know whats behind the door

jhp

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
What was behind the door?! Or was the SWAT team not successful in their mission!?:)

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What was behind the door?! Or was the SWAT team not successful in their mission!?:)
I never asked, I will find out.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Negligent discharge. Sounds like a medical condition.

Reactions: JHPRICE

·
Registered
180 Posts
Honestly, without a search warrant or permission from the property owner, I do not think the cops have the right to try to force open a locked door. There was no suspicion the guy staying in that room had access to that door if the owners of the property did not. Just looks like another Abuse of Authority issue to me.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
That is the strange part, the SWAT team does not get called out very often in this area, and there is no report of any of this incident in the local papers. I am still trying to get more information on it.
Chances are, it won't be. The guy will probably pay a fine and be told to keep his clap trap shut. Any news release will eventually involve the story of our law enforcement "professionals" and their "special weapons" handling skills.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts