Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Had my 1st ND the other day. It wasn't fun. I'm still shooken up about it. It was 100% my fault.

I just got a new IWB holster for my Jericho and was testing the fit of my FN in it also. I keep my FN loaded even when it's in the safe. After putting my Jericho back in the safe I grabbed the FN and dropped the mag and cleared the round from the chamber.

I then started checking the fit without the mag installed. After a few minutes I decided I better check the fit with the mag installed. After changing several t-shirts and fine tuning the placement of the holster I was happy with it.
This is where the complacency came in. I wanted to see how fast I could draw my weapon, rack the slide and pull the trigger (I always carry with one in the chamber so I was curious about haw fast I could do it)
Completely forgetting I had a loaded mag in my gun i proceeded to draw, chamber, and shoot a 40s&w critical duty round down the hallway and through the front bedroom window of my house.

Thank god no one else was home. After a WTH?!? moment I realized what I did and went into damage control mode. I cleared the weapon, returned it to the safe and went into the bedroom to see where the round went. That's when I saw that it exited the window towards the elderly lady's house across the street. I immediately went across the street to check on her and her house. She didn't hear a thing and I didn't observe any damage to her property. I then went back to my house to check the trajectory of the round. It actually hit a palm tree in the center island of my yard and from that point I am pretty sure it ended up in her yard.

I have decided to change a few of my habits. 1st, I will no longer keep a loaded gun in my safe. 2nd, I will no longer worry about drawing and racking a weapon as I will only carry with one in the pipe.
The hardest part has been the loss of confidence my wife has had in me. I've been around guns for 40 years, been on the state rifle team for the national guard, and Unit RSO while I was active duty. ALWAYS preach safety about guns.

This has been a huge wake up call for me and I can't stop thinking about it and what would have happened if I would have injured or killed somebody.

Be safe and stay vigilant everybody!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Glad to hear that nobody was hurt.

I have yet to have a Negligent Discharge of my own, (hopefully I never will) but I was around when one happened, so I can at least understand how you feel. My mother had one about 6 months ago, she had just come back inside after walking her dogs, and was in the process of unloading her Taurus TCP-738, but had become distracted by thoughts of a family member who was ill, and had racked the slide back to clear the chamber before dropping the magazine, so it loaded a fresh round into the chamber, then she dropped the magazine, pointed it at the floor to decock the striker, and shot a hole clear through the livingroom floor. I was in the kitchen washing dishes in attempt to ease her burdens when I heard the shot ring out, and instinctively called out, "What was that?!" before I recognized the sound and my mom called back to me that her gun had gone off.
It turned out the round had gone straight through the hardwood floor of the living room, passed through a heating duct, then smashed into the concrete floor where it had come to rest. She now keeps the bullet on the mantle piece above the fireplace as a reminder to pay closer attention when unloading a firearm, regardless of what else may be going on. She has since by and large replaced the TCP with a 605 Revolver we got her for her birthday which is easier to tell when it is loaded.

It's definitely a sobering experience.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
I am glad to hear that no one was hurt and it shows that no matter how much experience we have it can happen to any of us ! As a matter of a fact the thought that it could not happen to us could be our 1st mistake that could lead to it happening. I have been told that I am so serious when I handle firearms but that is because of the danger inherent with any firearm. Hopefully we can learn from your experience as I am sure that you have and not have it happen to one of us. A lot of people would not admit it but you chose to speak up about it and I take it as a reminder to never let my guard down because I know that it can happen to me if I do ! I remember a post some time back online that showed the damage that a man did to his leg with a 45 when he had a negligent discharge and it was a real eye opener !

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Certainly glad to see no one was hurt. I don't imagine there is much I can add that you haven't already thought of. I will say that to be careful with beating up yourself, that applies to the wife beating you up too. At some point the beating gets counter productive.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
I agree with darbo about beating yourself up about it also ! I found a link to the page that I was talking about PT99AF. I am not sure if you have ever seen it before but it is a real eye opener ! My story -the leg wounds

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
The most dangerous times when handling a pistol? Drawing and holstering. That's when the majority of NDs happen. In your case the ultimate safety failed (brain) and overroad your secondary safety (trigger finger).

It can happen to anyone...

For future drills I'd flag the chamber and use a designated dummy mag weighted to match your carry load.

You've been given a "do over" in life Sir. Treasure it, learn from it, and good on you for sharing it with others, so that they maybe more aware.

I doubt you'll ever have another ND, and it sounds like it only cost you: a new pair of underwear, a window, and some pride/trust.

All things that can be replaced/repaired.

I think you've learned a lot from this and you should not beat yourself up. To error is human, to forgive is Devine.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
This may sound corny, but of the few students I've trained, I always give them a flexible pipe cleaner. I tell them and have them show me the pipe cleaner going from the chamber opening down through the mag well as proof to themselves and others that the gun is properly unloaded. If they get in that habit when unloading a semi auto, they are less likely to get the sequence backwards. In addition, when dry firing or clearing a gun, have the gun pointed in a safe direction. One possible recommendation is an artificial plant in a pot of sand. Even if the handgun bullet were to go through, much of it's energy will be reduced.

As far as having a gun loaded or unloaded in a safe, even if you don't want to have a loaded gun in the safe, when removing it from the safe if it's not obvious from looking that it's unloaded, it should always be treated as loaded until you personally inspect it, every time.

·
22,981 Posts
It's so good that no one was hurt.

It sounds like you're taking a very constructive approach to this, and learning from it. Be patient with your wife. After we had a scare a while ago, I hired an NRA instructor to come give us a class together. That really helped, but it still took time to get to the point that she wanted a pistol of her own.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I think writing about it and reading the replies really helped. It happened Monday and I debated posting about it until today. The wife seems to be over it. She popped her gum next to me a few minutes ago and i gave her a look and we both laughed about it.

I'm changing out the pane of glass tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
40,640 Posts
Reality check for everyone. It can happen. Glad no one was hurt and damage was minimal.

·
Administrator
35,575 Posts
I'm certainly glad that nobody was hurt. I remember a gun writer a few years ago, a very capable and respected guy in the gun community, who wrote a story about his ND. Long story short, he inadvertently killed his wife's mirror in the bedroom. It can happen, I sure hope it never happens to me, or anybody I know. You can't beat Jeff Cooper's 4 rules into your own head enough. You just can't.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thank you for sharing. You do us all a service and give us a stark reminder that we are all fallible and for all of us to refocus on safe practices and full attention when handling our firearms. Don't beat yourself up over it. I am confident that will never happen to you again.

Oh, and don't grab for a falling gun, let it hit the floor. Well, unless it is one of those recalled guns :D. Chances are trying to catch a falling gun would end up with a digit in the trigger guard and an AD. That is one of the reasons why I prefer a manual thumb safety. Why do I keep buying Pro models without a thumb safety?:confused: Luckily, except for a couple cheap holster failures, I have not dropped one yet. But the older and stiffer in the fingers I get, it is probably just a matter of time.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Mine was when I was 16 and oddly enough it was a 16ga bolt action Mossberg shotgun. Thankfully in my case and many others, the other rules of safety were also employed. I obliterated a tin bucket from the 50's and not my brother or anyone else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All my guns are loaded in my safe .....but do not have any ammo in them....the first thing I do is always make sure its empty. I know it is easy to get sloppy the more you handle guns start with good habits every time

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I think writing about it and reading the replies really helped. It happened Monday and I debated posting about it until today. The wife seems to be over it. She popped her gum next to me a few minutes ago and i gave her a look and we both laughed about it.

I'm changing out the pane of glass tomorrow.
Based on her actions, I think it's safe to assume that she's over it and is trying to let you know it so that you'll stop being so hard on yourself. On a related note, those are the makings of a fine woman.

I take it the bullet just punched a clean hole through the window then? Fascinating, I would imagine that a .40 S&W would have shattered the glass.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
A very cheap lesson. And I applaud your courage in sharing it with us.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I save doing stuff like draw practice for the range, that way I won't have a ND.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I take it the bullet just punched a clean hole through the window then? Fascinating, I would imagine that a .40 S&W would have shattered the glass.
Yes, it entered the glass pane about a 1/4" above the bottom frame. Clean, round hole with some cracks spreading upward. I went through the faux wood 3" blinds 1st. This was Hornady critical duty ammo.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts