Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Are they worth the money?

• Yes, but better to get something nicer.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No they're cheap chinese POS!

• NEF who now?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i was browsing the monthly Ad for a local gun shop..

i was'nt looking for one but i noticed they had a NEF Pardner Pump Protector

5shot capacity, 18.5in barrel, synthetic stock, 159.99

*at the very bottom*
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerPump.aspx

ok so i've heard of NEF.. dont know much about them other then they make single shots.. not liking single shots i never paid much mind to them.
Anyhow, little google research and it appears NEF was bought by H&R which was then bought by Marlin, and i believe i Marlin was recently bought by Remington who is now owned by someone else i can't remember.. *confused*

ok well anyway apparently these shotguns are actually made in china :( but what is'nt these days right?

What little i could find on these shotguns is that they are decently made and apparently are extremely close copy to the Remington 870 with mostly minor differences.. reportedly the stocks are fully compatible.. and quality wise is suppose to be similar to the express.

so that leads me to my question.. who has one? who's held one? who's fired one? and is it worth the money? i've heard they go for as little as 130 but the shop near by has them for 160.

I dont have a shotgun yet i been meaning to get one but every time i goto a gun shop the pistols always seem to mug me.

I was thinking of getting a mossy 500 or a rem 870 but if it's true the NEF is a close relative to the 870 this would be a good thing IMO cause i could dress it up and it's about half the cost of either the mossy or the rem.

I have some other guns i wanna get and if i could pick up a scatter gun for cheap of decent quality that would be a good thing.

can anyone add to this or has any opinions?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I think I will eventually get one. I've seen them at Gander Mt. and they look like they are of good quality. I also like the fact that they are drilled and tapped for a scope. Maybe my new deer/turkey gun.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have one, but have yet to take it to the range.

Picked mine up at Gander for $130~ I layed it down next to the Remington 870 and didn't notice any cosmetic differences. I've since slapped some 870 accessories on it no problem. Yeah, I can't complain.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice price at gander when did you get it? this was NIB right?
i've never actually been to gander mountain but there is a few around, might have to check them out.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Sometimes there prices are okay other times they are way high. So know what you should pay for a gun before going there.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If it goes BANG for the Money you paid, then it was a Good Buy... You didn't tell us what your Hunting with it...???

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
If you purchase one, you can take it out and then share how it performed with us later on. :p

·
Registered
124 Posts
joe sixpack said:
nice price at gander when did you get it? this was NIB right?
i've never actually been to gander mountain but there is a few around, might have to check them out.
Yup, NIB. I got it at their end of hunting season sale. I think they go for $200 normally. I'll let everyone know how it goes after I hit the range.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
You can get a decent new mossberg for around 200, and they are made in USA if thats bugging you, and spending 200 bucks on a shotgun seems preatty reasonable if it's american made. If you haven't heard of them Maverick is made by mossberg and it's their "cheaper" brand, but made at the same factory. Picked up their 8 shot with a regular stock and a pistol grip for $220 with tax. It take 3" or 2 3\4, for a security gun it ain't bad. I do like the remington action though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It worked flawlessly for me yesterday when I was at the range. I was very impressed.

I loaded:
Estate Heavy Game Loads #8 Shot, 1 1/8oz
Winchester Magnum 00 Buckshot
Winchester "Rack Master" High Velocity Slugs - 1 1/8oz at 1625 fps (yeah, those are some big bangers)

I was able to take down clays with the Estates no problem. My shoulder has been paying for the Rack Masters though.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a protector that i put a 6 shot shell carrier and a speedfire 4-s short stock. Im really happy with it. $185 is about what you should find it at, normally. It is a heavy shotgun, but it is made like a tank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I like mine quite a bit.

I was looking for a less than 200.00 shotgun for home defense. I dont hunt, so it will get a few rounds through it when I go shooing my other guns. But mainly it will just set around and wait. So 200.00 sounded about right.

I looked at the Maverick as well. It looked good. Nothing wrong with it. But the NEF was just a better buy.
Tapped for a scope.
Place for a sling attachment.
Removeable forend(which the Maverick does not have).
Milled reciever that actually looked stronger with fewer tool marks than the Remington I compared it to.
Steel trigger guard.

This is a great option for someone that wants to spend about 200.00.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hello
Do not know much about the pump shotguns. But there single shot shotguns will last forever.
Dave Z

1 - 17 of 17 Posts