Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have recently purchased a 4" 608, and a 605 in the last few months. Really like the guns and they have more than met my expectations.

Looking to add a rimfire handgun to my arsenal. I have been looking at the Ruger 22/45 Mark 3. Seems like a really nice pistol. But I admit, I'm a revolver guy. Don't like the idea of loading magazines with the 22/45, and definitely don't like the idea of cleaning the 22/45!!

That had led me to looking at the Tracker 990, 9-shot .22LR. I am interested in the 6.5" barreled version so I can mount a red dot on it possibly.

Seems like a slam dunk for the 990 but I have a few concerns about the gun b4 I purchase.

1.) I have read from folks, that the DA trigger pull on the gun is STIFF to say the least. This worries me somewhat seeing as how my wife will be shooting this with me. Is this true about the DA pull? Would a spring kit help this or does it NEED the tight trigger?

2.) I have also read quite a few problems that dealt with the cylinder timing on the gun. Anyone else here have any of those problems?

3.) Which would you choose between the Ruger 5.5" 22/45 Mark 3 and the 6.5" Tracker 990? The reason I ask is because, although its not my chief concern, the Ruger is cheaper than the Taurus.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Brandon

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a MKIII 22/45 and a 4" 990, and I agree you've got a tough choice. Both are great handguns, but like you, I am more of a revolver guy, and given the choice I probably wouldn't buy another 22/45. It's a great pistol -- very accurate, very comfortable, very reliable, but finding decent holsters is harder, the bolt release is kind of aggravating since you have to use it to release the slide (even when loading with the bolt locked open -- you can't just pull the bolt back and let it go), and the takedown for cleaning can be frustrating.

1. The DA pull on the 990 is stiff, but not unmanageable. The SA pull is a dream. I wouldn't change the factory springs for fear of getting light strikes. For me, SA is how I shoot the 990 most of the time -- it's not a carry or HD revolver for me, so the heavy DA pull doesn't trouble me.

2. I have not had any timing issues.

3. Around here, there's about $65 difference between the two. That being said, I've spent more than $65 in extra magazines for the 22/45.

4. The 22/45 is designed as a "trainer" for the 1911 -- controls in the same place, same grip angle, etc. It works well enough for that, I suppose, but it feels more like a Browning Hi-Power trainer to me. Not that that's an issue -- I have a Hi-Power, and it's a great companion piece to the 22/45. I bought the 990 because I wanted a higher capacity rimfire revolver, and it feels very much to me like a Ruger GP100, which is in my opinion the finest DA .357 made. The 990 gives me a lower-cost practice alternative to my GP.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The Ruger Mark III 6" Hunter is one of the best 22LR out there, extreemly accurate. But you are right it is a pain in the backside to clean and I do not like the 22/45's grip. The Taurus 6.5" tracker is an outstanding fire arm I have the 357 mag model (7 shot) and love it, the SA trigger is a hair trigger so be careful (no play, no take up, no travel just bang). However to scope it will cost you an additional $50.00 for the mount, I know and have a Halo red dot on mine (love it, dead nuts at 25 yards).

Holsters for either will be a pain to find, especially with a scope on either. 22LR's should be fun to shoot and I think you will enjoy the Tracker more.

Just my 2 cents.
Jim

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
well I got a few 22 plinkers, all autos!
the Ruger MK III 22/45 bull barrel, the Beretta U-22 Neos, the Browning Buckmark.
I would have a hard time picking my favorite actually!
accuracy is also very, very close even out to 25 yards, all three shooting much more accurately than i can!
reliability also has been great!
the simpliest take down and cleaning is no doubt the Beretta Neos!
1 minute and its field stripped!
The trigger pull is dead even between the Ruger and the Browning, but again once you shoot a couple rounds the Beretta is in the game again!
as for breaking down the Ruger, yep it takes a bit of patience but you know what Mine only gets completely field stripped about once every 10-12 shootings, the barrel and chamber after each shooting.
but then i don't typically break the Browning or Beretta down after each outing either.
None of the 3 seem to be any less reliable for this!
the Ruger was the most expensive (319), the beretta the least expensive at 299 and it is stainless, the other two are blue.
The Beretta and the Ruger comes with weaver rails and so mounting a scope or red dot sight is easy!
You can;t go wrong with any of the three, can't help you with the Taurus 22 as i have never fired one, would suggest you take a long close look at the Beretta!
Blue 6 inch here is $229.
Beretta also makes a very nice carbine kit for the neos at 249 that makes it a wondeful little rifle!

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
:D
a couple Pictures of the Beretta U22 Neos, the first is out of the box and as you can see the second is with a red dot sight!
notice in the first picture that it has a built in weaver rail sytem that accepts anything with weaver type mounts!
which is almost all scopes /sights etc.
its a simply screw on and go, plus you can remove the scope/red dot and it remains in line when you return it to the rail, and if you wish to simply shoot open sights just take it off and the pistols sights are there and ready to go!

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
I recently bought a Taurus M627 and am very happy with it,the next wheelgun I would like is the Taurus Tracker in 22lr,just to add as a nice 22 revolver.As far as the Ruger MK III goes they are a very fine working semi-auto and very accurate in the Hunter model.It would be nice to add a little brother for my Tracker though.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
drummin I looked at the Smith but was much more impressed with the Beretta, course thats what makes the world go round.
tried a few Smiths and the trigger just wasn't there with any of them.
The Smith certainly for the price (249) here in my area is well worth that amount!
IF you have an Academy Sports they sale the Smith for 249 in the 5 1/2 blue and the Beretta in blue 6 inch for 229.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to let everyone know, bought a Ruger 22/45 Mark III today. The 5.5" model. Liked trhe idea of the revolver just hard to deny the quality of those Rugers. And all that quality for such a good price to boot. Thanks for all the advice everybody.

Brandon

·
Registered
529 Posts
BMKindoll said:
Just to let everyone know, bought a Ruger 22/45 Mark III today. The 5.5" model. Liked trhe idea of the revolver just hard to deny the quality of those Rugers. And all that quality for such a good price to boot. Thanks for all the advice everybody.

Brandon
Congrats you will not be dissapointed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope not. I think I'll be pleased. Till I clean it anyway!! :) I go pick it up today from Bud's Gun Shop. Will keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Brandon

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
:D
once you take her to the range and line up the sights and fire it the Taurus revolver will be a fading memory!
if you really need to forget then see if the range has a bench and bags!
I would suggest that the one addition that you might want to make is the addition of the Hi-Viz front sight, it cost about 30 bucks and makes a world of difference in the sighting of the gun with open sights.
Check for fit, as i believe it only fits bull barrels!
heres a pic of my little beauty, Ruger Mk III 22/45 bull barrel target model.
and don't sweat the breakdown, just get your manual out and follow the directions!
a beer or two close by helps as well!
it gets easier after a few times!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats a very cool RP model ya got there!! I like that. Mine looks just like that, but just has the black grips.

Brandon

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Congratulations on your new revolver. They are sweet, although a bit pricey for me at this time. (I'll have one somday). For the time being. I've been very pleased with my 990 Tracker. Is your 617 the 10 round version, or an older 6 shooter? We'd love to see pictures.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts