Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a long story so I will get to the part that matters. I was able to get my dad's shotgun (Mossberg 500AT 12G) after many years of him being deceased. Upon getting it I did the norm with it; clean, lube and of course, shoot it. After I shot a few rounds threw it, I decided that I didn't like the gun. This is where I am have a problem. I want to get rid of it because it now just sits in the rack collecting dust. On the other hand, I want to keep because its just a handful of things that I have that was my fathers.

I am asking you gents and ladies what would you do with a gun you have no desire to shoot but want to keep it due to sentimental value.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
I would keep it, I don't have to like a gun to value it because it was my dads.

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Super Moderator
17,588 Posts
I'd keep it, and shoot it until I did like it. Maybe you could swap the barrel? Would that help? You could get a vent rib if it's a plain barrel, or a short barrel and make it the house gun. Or customize it...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Keep it, you' ll own many guns in your life time, but have only one father.
Well said Moondawg... If you were to get rid of it one day you would regret it, I would keep it even if I never shot it again, maybe turn it into mantelpiece art.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Agreed, hang it on the wall instead of on the gun rack.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I just needed some advice on the matter.

·
Super Moderator
40,413 Posts
Keep it, I would love to have dad's .22 lr that I shot when I was a kid, never had the chance to own it. It is gone, and can't ever be replaced.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Oil it up real good and throw it in the safe. When the need arises, it will be there.

Reactions: aquajim

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Well said Moondawg... If you were to get rid of it one day you would regret it, I would keep it even if I never shot it again, maybe turn it into mantelpiece art.
I agree totally.

The mantelpiece art suggestion is spot on! ;)

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
My dad had two North American Arms mini .22's.
I keep one in my front pocket and traded the other one in today on a Glock.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Keep it! ... and pass it on to one of his grandkids.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Keep it. Especially if looking at it brings back good memories.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Throw a recoil pad on that sucker and take it out again. That made me like my Mosin & my Mossberg even more than i already did when i bought them.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Keep it or pass it on to another family member that would like to have it

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I would keep it. A firearm passed down is a treasured thing. I have a Mossberg 350KB .22lr rifle that used to belong to my grandmother, and I love it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts