Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Needing a 22

3K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  posjr 
#1 ·
We do a lot of geocaching and the woods around Alabama are full of cotton mouth water rattlers. I need a 6-9 shot 22 to belt carry on these excursions. I need something with a barrel long enough to get the job done. What might you folks recommend?

#3 ·
If you were going with a .22, the specs you gave sounds like you want a revolver. Taurus has some great ones. But also consider a .22 auto, there are a lot of great ones around, and one that I can heartily recommend is the Beretta Neos -- I own one as do others on the forum. BTW, have you considered buying a Judge? That way you could shoot shot using a .410, and also be able to shoot .45 LC for other purposes.

#6 · (Edited)
Go to ask. Are snake shot rounds going to be used or regular .22lrf bullets?

If I were carrying a rimfire revolver I would want it to be of .22WRM persuasion.

The CCI rimfire loads in .22WRM hit harder, cover more area with shot in minute of large snake size and range, and the .22WRM has more power coming out of revolver barrel than the .22lrf does coming out of rifle barrel.

I did some penetration tests with both .22lrf and .22WRM rounds. The .22WRM covered and penetrated deeply enough to take out a large snake with good certainty.

The .22lrf is enough to kill a snake with good shot placement. If that's the idea then go with a model 94,970, or a 990.

The longer the barrel of the gun the more spread out the shot charge will be. So a 2 or 3 inch barrel for shot charges seems to be best. 4 inches maximum would be the recommended length.

I do agree with the larger caliber recommendation. .38 Special and up. Snub revolver or a bit longer barrel. CCI shells will do the job and with a larger, could be milder .38 or .44 round, the charge will interdict a snake pretty well. The larger bullet will also help kill the snake a bit better than a rimfire with proper shot placement

For years .22lrf bullets have been putting away large dangerous snakes. How good a shot under stress are you? I'm not questioning your ability, but shooting at a snake under great duress can make some people quiver with fear. Others are cool and calm enough to take the shot if needed.

#8 ·
Don't know what part of the state you are in, working swamps or hill country. I like the Judge for shooting snakes from a zero turn mower. The 2 1/2" Winchester AA shotshells with #8 or#9 shot do a super good job. For a 22 or 22 mag revolver check the pawn shops. Used guns are usually a lot cheaper and just as good. Several single action revolvers come with both 22 and 22 mag cylinders.

#10 ·
Speaking of snakes.
Last year I found this guy on our kitchen table .. no kidding.
It had crawled around the kitchen and knocked a bunch of stuff off the counters.
My wife is a Vet so she took the guy outside and turned him loose.

Tree Grass Soil Plant Lawn

#12 ·
Speaking of snakes.
Last year I found this guy on our kitchen table .. no kidding.
It had crawled around the kitchen and knocked a bunch of stuff off the counters.
My wife is a Vet so she took the guy outside and turned him loose.

View attachment 24886
If it was my wife that spotted it a split second later she would have been in Ireland....:D

Reactions: Rogerzz
#13 ·
I have lived in some Petty infested areas of rattlesnakes and have carried .22WMR bird shot, .38 special bird shot and even a .44 mag bird shot they all work, up close. My dad used to carry a old Stevens single shot 410 with the stock and barrel shortened to the legal limit, it worked the best. I'm still pondering buying one of the compact Judge models, I'm sure for small varmints with bird shot it would be awesome, plus with buckshot a dang nice home defense pistola. My 2 cents.....

Brand Logo Graphics

#14 ·
Thanks for the input. I've been looking at the Heritage Rough Rider on you tube and for the price I'm leaning that way for now. I'm hoping a few things come together down the road and I can get a Judge. That would be great for home and woods. I'm really glad I found this forum,on a lot of them the new guy is not treated very well!

#18 ·
No, I'm not a hunter. I did a lot of rabbit hunting in my younger day's but got away from it. Pam and I were looking for something to do when we didn't go geocaching so we started doing some shooting. We enjoy getting outside and I've had two back surgery's lately so walking any distance is not possible right now.

#21 ·
I'd go with a larger caliber then .22 for Cottonmouths ,they tend to have a attitude and would not want to walk up on one with just a .22. And I'm a good shoot. .38 would be the least I would go with and the Judge is a better choice yet.

#22 ·
The funds just are not there right now for many choices. I'm thinking the Heritage and use 22 mag. with some brand of "rat shot". Years ago i had a "Snake Charmer". It was great for keeping in the boat but not good for carrying. Only gave me one shot also but it was usually a good one.lol.You are correct 45 Forever, those cotton mouths can be mean!

#23 ·
I do not know when the next gun show will be at Northport, just north of Tuscaloosa. Will try to find out today. One of the venders is usually setup at the front with several tables of used guns. Butch owned a pawn shop in south Alabama for years and is retired. He kept his ffl and still does shows. Buys most of his stuff from auctions, and is a real salty old cuss. I have bought stuff from him for years when working shows with a friend. Go over whatever you buy just like you would any used gun. Don't be shy about trying to get him down on his price. He is going to be salty regardless, the guys that run the show will tell you where Butch is setup. The show at Northport is not a big show, but usually has several venders with a lot of used guns. Woods and Water is just a few blocks away and you can go look at the high dollar stuff.

#27 ·
I went to the local dealer today and he can get me the Heritage RR with adjustable sights. I'm thinking I'll go that route. I saw the gun on you tube and the fiber optics on the sights looked good. I have to go to Tuscaloosa tomorrow so I'm going by Academy Sports and see if I can put my hands on one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.