Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all:

I have been playing "internal mental tennis" for a while. You know, "should I buy-or should I not but" a new gun or caliber or whatever it might be. You know that internal debate we all have from time to time.

I have been considering something in a 9mm for a long while; revolvers, micros, just a little bit of everything. Pro: the 9mm is probably the cheapest thing one can shoot if you do not load yourself. And I do not see that in my future. Con: buying another caliber weapon is somewhat like having a new baby or getting another hunting dog--just another mouth to feed.

I was wondering what might be a good option so I will not have to spend too much on the front end to see if I like the caliber or no? I am not sure I want a "micro" anything. I have a 738 380acp. It is a great conceal carry gun but not too much fun at the range. Any Micro 9s "kinda-sorta" defeat the purpose of my time and money to buy I think at this point of my internal discussion.

I was thinking of a SCCY or a Hi Point??!! The HP can be bought for about 1/2 of the SCCY. Both, as appraised by the gun snobs on other boards, are either "love-um" or "hate-um" responses. I am leaning towards the HP. I have a friend who has the 40 and the 45, and they both run flawlessly. Heavy as a boat anchor. Ugly as a mud fence. Then the SCCY does not have as good of reviews as the HP. But it sure is "purdy" by comparison.

These are my thoughts! :D

Yours? and please don't flame me!! :eek:

rd

·
Registered
857 Posts
My everyday carry gun is a Springfield XDS in 45 ACP. Great small single stack. Not exactly a "Pocket Gun" but it does conceal easily. I can forget I'm carrying it. Same thing can be had in 9mm. Most ranges that rent should have one to try.
Unless your a real large fellow, a Hi-Point would be hard to carry all day. Not being a snob, I own 3 Hi-Points. But I consider them range guns that are cheap reliable fun.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
You don't say if you have any caliber other than the 380. Do you have .45 or anything else? If 380 is the only one then yes you should get something in a larger caliber for home defense or possibly having something more substantial for a carry option.

I agree with MG in finding a range that rents guns, or friend that will let you try theirs, and try some different brands and calibers. That way maybe you can find a gun that you really enjoy and not spend the money on a "test" gun. There are so many excellent guns to choose from out there, take some time and research the purchase.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
CDNN has the PT-92 on special right now, if it is not in the budget then try to get your hands on the HP and see how it feels. I have been toying with the idea of getting the HP in .45acp just to see for myself what they are like.

If you have any ranges near you that rent guns stop in and see if they rent what you want, best way to get a true feel for how they shoot.

As far as starting another caliber, I look at like this. I will be shooting X amount of ammo, does it really matter if it is 3 or 5 or 7 different calibers? To me no it does not I still have to buy the ammo.

Good luck and let us know what way you go.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Find a range that rents and try a few things out. You didn't mention if you wanted to carry it or just a range gun? Going to the range testing some out will help if you are thinking about carrying. Also research the wait times for extra mags. There's nothing like finally finding a gun you like then realize it takes months to get mags or they are so expensive you can't afford many.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Find a range that rents and try a few things out. You didn't mention if you wanted to carry it or just a range gun? Going to the range testing some out will help if you are thinking about carrying. Also research the wait times for extra mags. There's nothing like finally finding a gun you like then realize it takes months to get mags or they are so expensive you can't afford many.
I hate to say it but that's a very good point considering the forum we are on!

·
Registered
24,606 Posts
Gun Genie has a sale going on right now and the one I can recommend is the EAA SAR K2P 9mm. Very reliable and not expensive.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Not being a snob here but the 9mm can be a good little round so why not get it in a bit better gun that will be more fun to shoot. There is a broad spectrum out there, from the XDS to the pt92 in size. I like HPs carbines, but if I'm buying a pistol I am buying it to carry and shoot. I am unclear about your purpose. you have one real small carry gun and one not real small gun you "could" carry, I suppose, but they are really different in purpose.

In new guns it really is worth it to save up and step up to a CZ clone at least or even one of the 9mm 1911 clones in a full size or one of the compacts clones of either for carry. In the used gun market you can do much better than either choice in a mid to large size quite easily for just a few more bucks.

If you are shopping for ultimate concealability the SCCY is gaining a rep but I don't get that feeling from your including the HP.

Reactions: jtg452 and ncfarmer

·
22,301 Posts
If you truly never expect to carry it, get a 92. If you might, then get a 809. If you want something low cost and unique, find a Tokarev in 9mm.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I say go for it if you are debating whether to get a 9mm or not. As you stated, ammunition is plentiful and
reasonable in price and there are so many good models to choose from. I own two 9mms, the PT-92 and
Glock 26. I enjoy shooting both of them, especially that tack driving PT-92. I'm thinking about buying
another one in the near future, I've fallen in love with the CZ-75 compact after checking one out at a
gun store a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Bud's has the full-size SAR B6P with one magazine for $301, or $310.03 if you use your credit card, and that includes shipping. Add $20 for the FFL transfer fee. Bud's also has the magazines in stock for $23.50. I like mine. Even the guy from the Military Arms Channel gave it a good review.:cool:

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I dont know why no one has mentioned it since its so popular around here, but you might want to take a look at the PT111 G2. Capacity is 12+1, good trigger and a truly wonderful carry piece. Ive seen them lately online on sale for $239.....Just handle one, it will sell itself.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
May I suggest a Bersa Thunder UC Pro .45 ACP.
Fairly inexpensive, rock solid and easy to carry.

Bersa Thunder .45 - 002.jpg

Holster & Bersa .45.jpg

Reactions: darbo and Sekol

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the SCCY CPX2 and really like it but it does have a very long trigger pull. That was something I had to get used to. The customer service from those guys is top shelf. Jason has helped me several times and they get to the phone quickly. Customer service is one of the reasons I stay with them as every gun needs some help form time to time and having access to quick CS is priceless. I also agree with renting at the range first to see what you like and don't like. That may be your smartest money spent towards a new gun.
Good Luck!

·
8,537 Posts
If you have an Academy sports store they have the S&W SD9VE for under $300 and the Taurus PT111 G2 for $289. Both good entry level 9mm's.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I own all the handguns that have been mentioned. That being said, you specifically asked about 9 mm and about the SCCY vs the Hi Point. I enjoy the 9mm. It is a round that can be used for anything from fun plinking to self defense. There are so many different choices in 9mm ammunition today that there is no limit to what the caliber may be asked to do in a handgun.

I prefer the HP over the SCCY in my particular situation. I keep a 9mm handgun in my pickup truck and I am known for my lack of maintenance of that gun. My requirements for a truck gun are that it be accurate and easy to use, it must be reliable under all conditions, it must be able to live in a glove compartment, toolbox, or under the seat, and if the truck is ever stolen I have not lost a bunch of money.

The Hi Point fits the bill completely. I think I paid around $140 for mine, it is more than reasonably accurate at handgun distances, and it ALWAYS goes bang! I find that those who bad mouth the gun are comparing apples to oranges. The reason I say this is because if I give that Hi Point to a new shooter and let him/her plink with it they can shoot it all day, hit their target, and most importantly have fun with it. There are no preconceived ideas of what it "should" be..... it is a gun and they are having a ball shooting it!

Another advantage of the HP is that you can also pickup a HP 9mm carbine and you can use your carbine magazines in your HP handgun.

I understand budgets.... because of that (and the rest of what I've posted here) I not only recommend the Hi Point but I would venture that, down the road, when more money is more available you may buy more guns but you will still keep the HP and still have fun with it.

Don

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
If you want fun the HP will satisfy cheaply. If you want carry and fun consider the Ruger sr9c. The Ruger is considerably higher but delivers on both levels. I own both and love shooting both.

·
22,301 Posts
Reading the praise for the Hi Point reminded me of my Makarov. Crazy reliable (check YouTube for torture tests, and yes, I know Hi Point rules the YouTube torture test roost), rugged, built like a tank, even has a decent trigger if you avoid DA, and they cost... (quick trip to GunBroker)... Well, it seems I still haven't grokked that times have changed. Wish I'd bought a crate of those things.

Nevermind. Carry on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts