Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my grandfather said I could have his old carcano rifle that he has in NYC.My uncle is a cop in NYC and currently has the rifle. He is telling me I cannot just go get it and bring it to NJ. I have a NJ firearms purchasers permit.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
You will probably have to have it shipped to a local FFL dealer and pay the transfer fee. Make sure it is legal to have in NJ.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I believe he is correct. In NJ you have to get a permit to buy a gun and once granted a permit have a specified number of day to buy the gun. I believe you have to have an owners permit for every gun you own. They don't look to fondly of the 2nd Amendment in NJ.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only when buying a pistol you need to get a permit. Long guns you can just go buy with just a firearms ID.

·
Super Moderator
20,006 Posts
Not to be too forward here but just come on down south. No FOIDs, no excessive paperwork, you can gift or transfer any firearms between consenting adults as a private commerce - ie., exempt from FFL.

Or, follow the advice of the first responders - fill out whatever paperwork you need to.

I am a little curious as to what your uncle, the one who is a NYC cop, thinks about all this. Are the cops and LEOs in general happy with how things are settling out up there?

I would also be curious to what their opinions (LEOs employeed in NY and NJ, Conn, etc) are about how "lax" we have it in the south. Are we looked upon as a bunch of half breed ******** or do they feel we are engaging our responsibilities and passions as true patriots.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He didnt care at all that I was going to have it but didnt want me to get in trouble. There are a few stories like a Texas man who stopped to take a nap in New Jersey while moving from Maine to Texas. He was sentance to 5 years. So I'm a little concerned especially now after all these new guna laws. My uncle says I need to get a back round check and such and that since my grandpa has no paper work for it that's a problem too

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yay! Carcano!

other than that, I am no help whatsoever...

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Your local FFL dealer should know what needs to be done in your state and getting it sent there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts