1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Opinion reserved. I'm an old guy, and I've seen a lot of "FREE LUNCH" signs, all over the world.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Reactions: Flash60601

·
Registered
27,135 Posts
Let's do a little math...
It takes about 500 watt-hr to raise a 1000 kg weight 100 meters.
So to replace a single 500 MW power plant would require about 1,000,000 blocks, or about 500,000 cubic meters of concrete. That's about 1/6 of the concrete in Hoover Dam.

Inexpensive... riiiiggghhht!

·
Supporting Moderator
14,838 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
This is the same concept using water... It has been in operation for over 50 years! About 10 years ago they put a bunch of wind turbines in to the augment the refilling of the pond.

Attachments

Reactions: glenwolde

·
17,585 Posts
This is the same concept using water... It has been in operation for over 50 years! About 10 years ago they put a bunch of wind turbines in the augment the refilling of the pond.
I was going to say I thought there was an existing example that used water......which seems like a much simpler, and less ugly, solution.

·
Registered
24,505 Posts
The rule is, "you can't get something for nothing". That's the rule.

Reactions: brojohn

·
Super Moderator
35,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to say I thought there was an existing example that used water......which seems like a much simpler, and less ugly, solution.
I like the concept of using tidal flow to generate electricle...

·
Super Moderator
35,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Problems so far is the tendency for waves to turn everything into sand. Seems though that tidal pools could be made large enough to trap the high tide and meter it back through mini-turbines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts