Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got to shoot my new 1911 today and had about 5 failure to eject in 100 round box. I'm going to try a different box of ammo this weekend, but im thinking the extractor is crap since it was a used firearm. Main question is are there big differences in series 70 and 80 as many manufactuers have them. Anyone know who makes the best compatible replacement parts for taurus??

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
from the reviews i have read the cylinder & slide series 80 extractor fits the pt 1911, also it is already beveled and shaped correctly the only thing you might have to do is adjust the tension. i think it is $29.99 at midway. also i have read the wilson combat bullet proof series 80 extractor will work but i don't know if that extractor is already shaped or if you will have to break out the files and shape it correctly. it is $ 34.99 at midway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have replaced them on the Taurus and you are better off to order them Taurus. They are just enough different that the others do not work right.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Oso, didn't you say that you were informed that there was a bad batch of extractor issued lately? I think that these might be some of them.

If you remove the series 80 firing pin safety you can use just about any after market extractor but if you want to keep your original equipment you might have to contact Christian @ Taurus in Miami and he will send you a good one with in a weeks time, good luck.

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
So I got to shoot my new 1911 today and had about 5 failure to eject in 100 round box. I'm going to try a different box of ammo this weekend, but im thinking the extractor is crap since it was a used firearm. Main question is are there big differences in series 70 and 80 as many manufactuers have them. Anyone know who makes the best compatible replacement parts for taurus??
AHH, failure to eject??
then why an extractor??
I would be looking at several other problems if you are experiencing ejection problems.
take a close look at the extractor and see if it appears to be bad, if not look elsewhere for the ejection problems.
IF the extractor is removing the spent case from the chamber then it may simply need to be tuned?
or as you indicate try different ammo, what you are using may not be powerful enough to correctly operate the weapon?
The BEST replacement part for the Taurus is a Taurus replacement part!
a aftermarket extractor may not work with the Taurus series 80 safety system.
a series 80 extractor will work in a series 70 or 80 pistol, a series 70 extractor will work in a seriies 70 pistol but not in a series 80 pistol.
series 80 has a firing pin block safety.
this isn't probelm if you order from Taurus as all are series 80 extractors.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
yes i was told by a davidsons rep. that there was a bad run of extractors from taurus. i don't know what the begining and ending serial #'s are. i talked to christian at taurus about a month ago , he told me the blue extractors were backordered but he would send me a stainless one and when the blue came in he send me one of those to. well i still have not recieved a extractor from taurus, but i did recieve a new pistol from davidsons. serial# is only 2 #'s higher so i don't have much faith in the extractor. i do have 200 rds. through the new pistol so far. i guess if i can get to 1000 rds. without the extractor breaking then it probably will last. usually if parts are going to break it is usually in the first 1000 rds.

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
well of course if they were actually a bad batch of extractors then one would need to know what the serial number range was.
ordering or buying any weapon from a gun shop or distributor may be a firearm of any year as long as the model hasn't changed, guns sit on shelves for months and months on end before being shipped or sold.
so buying a PT1911 now does not mean anyhting as to if it may have a bad extractor or not.
a couple of my Pt1911's were 2 years old when I purchased them according to the Taurus website dater.

·
Registered
27,138 Posts
Aside from the excellent advice you have already received, I would start just by giving the gun a thorough cleaning. Tauri often come with a lot of gunk around the extractor/ejector/firing pin. Rustproofing...
So disassemble, clean and test before assuming anything needs replacing. Just because the gun is used, don't assume the previous owner knew what he was doing - maybe a gummy ejector was why he got rid of the thing.
Remember - cleanliness is next to dependability.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
the rep from davidsons said he had an a lot of pt 1911's being exchanged becuase of broken extractors, all the extractors,the tips broke off. so after a few weeks of not recieving a new extrator from taurus the dealer had davidsons replace it. it was the last one currently available at that time. the rep did not say he heard from taurus but what manufacturer would,all he was saying is he sells a lot of pt 1911's and this is the first time that he has had a particular model that the same part kept breaking in and had replaced a lot pistols just recently because of the extractor.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
i just entered the serial # of my pt 1911 all that came up was production year 2011, then the pics and description

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was able to call Taurus and they were happy to send me a replacement extractor when they get them in, they are backordered right now. I did contact and visit a local gunsmith who replace my extractor with a Colt part. Yes it was a drop in fit. After a discussion about series 70 vs series 80 1911's i decided not to use the firing pin block and spring. The gun shoots great, and all the brass was ejected in the same direction and distance. Ever since i have been shooting this gun it would throw the brass in a random direction, it was never consistant. Maybe my extractor has been bad since new. I am a happy Taurus owner again.

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
I was able to call Taurus and they were happy to send me a replacement extractor when they get them in, they are backordered right now. I did contact and visit a local gunsmith who replace my extractor with a Colt part. Yes it was a drop in fit. After a discussion about series 70 vs series 80 1911's i decided not to use the firing pin block and spring. The gun shoots great, and all the brass was ejected in the same direction and distance. Ever since i have been shooting this gun it would throw the brass in a random direction, it was never consistant. Maybe my extractor has been bad since new. I am a happy Taurus owner again.
a lot of that is the extractor needing a proper tuning, now different ammo can also make a difference.
I got a Para USA 1911 in 45 acp that will throw every spent case in a coffe can i bet, then i got a few others that pretty much throw them in a gneral pile , minus the bouncing , and a few that randomly throw brass everywhere.
that Para is just weird the way its so consistent!
of course now i am shooting reloads and the same projectile weight almost all the time.
course if you don't care about the series 80 system then use a 70 series extractor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would consider replacing it, but it seems that I can't even remove the extractor. Unfortunately it's going to have to be sent to Taurus for warranty work... So i will be without it for a while.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
the extractor is really pretty easy to replace, once you have the slide off press in on firing pin block at the same time press the firing pin in while holding the firing pin in release the firing pin block, that will hold your firing pin in so you can remove the firing pin stop. once the firing pin stop is removed the extractor will come out fairly easy, you will have to rotate it slightly.

·
Banned
893 Posts
AHH, failure to eject??
then why an extractor??
ditto, if it was my pistol I would break it down and clean/inspect it extra well instead of just swapping parts. Try to be a troubleshooter instead of a parts changer. What kind of ammo you using?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
BigRed2 when you switched to series 70 did the gunsmith remove the series 80 parts in the frame and install a frame blank to take up the space?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have an extractor that won't come out... Way above my level at this point.

Another question, I was watching another video and when they disassembled the firing pin block an block stop spring came right out after they took out the pin. Is it supposed to come right out like that? For me the pin block and extractor will not come out.

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
I have an extractor that won't come out... Way above my level at this point.

Another question, I was watching another video and when they disassembled the firing pin block an block stop spring came right out after they took out the pin. Is it supposed to come right out like that? For me the pin block and extractor will not come out.
try pushing the extractor forward and rearward a bit and see if the pin block doesn't pop out, the spring will be behind it, so don't loose the parts.
Occasioanlly as well (depending on the tuning needed) the front hook (bend) of the extractor may need to be gently pused away from the breech to clear the hole for the extractor, just gently push the exttractor rearward from the breeh until you can grab hold of the back of it and pull it clear.
these things are one of a kind and no two are exactly the same, hence the hand fitting of the 1911 and the tuning of extractors.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts