Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wish I had something like this when I was a kid.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Just watch your fingers.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yeah...I agree what Mark said. I'd almost call that kindling for what I use. Those only look to be about 12 inches long or so, and he's splitting it up pretty small. Didn't even flinch when that one landed on his foot. Oak uber alles!!

Reactions: treg

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
That is soooooo cool! I want one!!;).

PS Just showed DH the video clip -he LOVES it!! Thanks for posting, fish!

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
What was he splitting...dried Cyprus or some sort of Cedar?

I spent plenty of time helping my dad split wood with a maul & wedge. That wasn't your typical oak, poplar, maple, or whatnot. Definitely not any gum tree.

·
Super Moderator
13,808 Posts
I'd like to see how that does with green alder wood. The stuff he's splitting in the video looks to be well seasoned. I'll bet any one of us could do as good a job with a standard axe.

Reactions: treg

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
#2 - if someone else is picking up the bill!!!! :D

Reactions: SIGnoramus

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I watched that after I came in from splitting wood the old way. I'd like to see that with some good oak wood. I don't believe it would work that easy.
That's what was my first thought.

From what I could tell of the grain in the wood, I wish I'd had to bust that instead of oak, hickory and cedar. It might have worked on the pine kindling but that's about it.

Let'em try that with a piece of oak or hickory. Heaven forbid if there were some knots from a limb or two in it.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Well, it worked darn nice for what he was splitting and it was a nice homemade splitter too! Nothing like some good presidential engineering.:D:D:D SO, if you don't want homemade, then go buy one of those hydraulic log splitters.;)

·
Administrator
39,467 Posts
Impressive splitter. But we don't have that many trees in these parts, to justify owning one. We import our firewood already split! :D

Reactions: Cariwine

·
Super Moderator
17,617 Posts
I wish I had what I have now when I was a kid. Splitting logs no more. Now I flick a light switch and the gas logs come on. The hardest part is turning the pilot light on and off.
I'm with you on that one, the gas unit we put in is incredible. Don't even have to light the pilot. It has two modes, one with the pilot on all the time, and another that lights the pilot every time it turns on. No wall switch because it has a remote! The remote has a thermostat imbedded, and in "Auto" mode you just set the temp you want and it goes on and off as the thermostat dictates. There's even a battery back-up for power failures. Also has adjustable interior lighting.

OK it's kind of ridiculous, but it beats hauling wood and sweeping ash.

·
Registered
24,534 Posts
Very innovative.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Don't think it will work that good with hedge, mulberry, locust or any hard wood
I just split a pickup load full of hedge(Osage orange). It was about 20" diameter at the base. Slowed down my 35 ton splitter more than once..:)

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Well, it worked darn nice for what he was splitting and it was a nice homemade splitter too! Nothing like some good presidential engineering.:D:D:D SO, if you don't want homemade, then go buy one of those hydraulic log splitters.;)
I bought a 35 ton hydraulic splitter and it's great..:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts