Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking today~

I can go to the range and dump $50 worth of rounds at some targets and have a fun couple of hours or so doing it, but...what can I do to make it a better training exercise? What I'm thinking is I would like for it to be more of a gun exercise, like going to the gym and working on your biceps. I want something I can practice to A) make me a better shooter and B) make the outing more valuable?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Shoot at other people's targets. That will save you some money as well as provide an adrenaline rush.

Actually, I was wondering about what you can do at a range myself because where I go the range is outdoors and the distance is fixed at 25 meters so I can't really do much except try to hit the paper. There is a five seconds between rounds restriction as well. It is a state park and only costs 4 bucks a day so I just go to get used to the firearm.

·
Registered
73 Posts
setup at two benches on opposite ends of the range, then between shots do sprints to the next bench and end with a flying somersault and shoot

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok...I think you guys may have misunderstood me.

Just want some technical tips to practice on while shooting. Not running around the range like a jackass just giving some of them gun happy AZ focks a reason to shoot me. I can just see it now (shooter A) "that there guy was run'n roun here wit that der pistol, he was gona hurt himself, I had to put him down" lol...

·
32,654 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks QD that's pretty much what I do at this point. I go out and try to use the same stance over and over for a while and fire a few rounds down range then I use my binoculars and see what I'm doing. At 25 meters I do not get tight groups and in fact am just gald to hit paper. No big deal for me except that I want to be consistent in what I do so that it becomes habit.

My concern is personal safety both at home and when camping. We do a lot of boondocking, sometimes at WalMarts but also sometimes in a less traveled area so I aim to be ready to fend off bears or bad guys.

I am not agile enough any more for anything tactical so I guess I am in a "stand and deliver" phase of my life. So I practice that a lot right now.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
decide what you wanna do with you gun.. you have ot have a goal before you can reach it.

im not a bulleye shooter.. im more about speed, combat accuracy (thats a nice way of saying "it might not be pretty but they're dead just the same), and general handling of the gun.. this includes having a few mags ready for doing reloads.

i usually mix it up a little bit.. make sure you get comfortable.. dont worry about what stance your using use the one you like best.. i'll switch up but i usually use the weaver but it's not weaver strictly speaking i tend to blade a bit more then normal, this is whats comfortable/natural for me.

i usually start off at 25 feet, 2 mags with my pt92 slow controled fire with two hands.

then i'll try going a mag each with 1 hand.. both left and right.

then i'll try some rapid fire with two hands.. for 2 - 3 mags.

then i'll push it back to 50 feet, which is also the limit at the indoor i've been going to and i dont have any specific routine at this range.. some times i'll go slow others fast.. some times mix it up.

i prefer silhouette for anything other then .22lr

i dont follow this plan to a "T" every range trips sometimes i have other guns i wanna try out and dont have time to do the whole shebang.. or we'll have friendly competitions.

if you just wanna go have fun then i dont think theres anything wrong with that either because it's suppose to be fun.. and anytime you're shooting you become more familiar with the gun rather you're trying or not.

the parks here have a gun range as well.. never been to one but they just opened up for the year (march) and plan on going when we get some nice weather.

·
Super Moderator
21,628 Posts
I Posted somthing just like this a little while ago I looked around and there are academy's around but they are vary expencive and require lots of ammo for good reason. but really I was looking for a tac. shotgun course I have a Mossberg home defence 8 +1 they wanted me to shoot 100 slugs 200 buckshot and 200 birdshot. I have had shoulder surgery rotator cuff injury a few years back My limit at the range is about 10 rounds 5 slugs 5 buck thats about all I can handle I guess I'm going to have to settle for a training vidio.

·
Super Moderator
21,628 Posts
I work for GM building cars or in my case building engine and transmissions acording to the pros
it takes 450 motions before you will develop muscle memory so take it slow at first then once your comfortable speed it up.
Then work on accuracy and use regular silhouettes shoot nothing but shoulder shots onetime then pelvick shots the next these are refered to as bone shots and are used to stop the foward motion of an attacker like if he had a large knife or club. Be creative and imagine different situations that you might be in and slowly practice till you can pick up speed. I know its not Gunsite but its what I do when I'm at the indoor range. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts