Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! this is my first post but I´m a reader of this forum for quite a long time now.
I´m from Portugal and I´m thinking about the 917c to be my next handgun.
So I would like to get some information and feelings about this (beautiful) gun.
Is it accurate?
Is it reliable?
And how is the finish, is it resistant? It´s important because Portugal is a hot country and the sweat use to damage (rust) the frame of the guns.
Thank you and sorry for my poor english.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
dont have a 917, it's not at the top of my list cause i have a 92 already but it IS on the list.

they remind me of beretta 92 centurions..

if it's anything like the 92 (and it should be since it's just a shorter barrel/slide) it should be both accurate and reliable.

i do not know what the blue/black finish is on their guns but the stainless is stainless steel.. it is more rust resistant.. no problems with my stainless 92, but this does not mean you can ignore it either.. stainless steel will rust it just wont rust as easy.

the frame i can promise you will not rust, it's aluminum alloy.

i do not think you will be disappointed with a 917, if you can afford it get the stainless, i they're only like 20-30 bucks more here in the US for the stainless over the blue/black.. im not sure what the prices would be where you are.

btw the mags for the 92/99 are the same as the 917's.. the 917's lower (frame) is exactly the same as the 92/99.. only the slide, barrel, recoil spring, and guide rod is shorter so that it is flush with the frame.. the 92/99 the upper (slide, barrel, guide rod/spring) is about a half inch longer then the frame.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Love mine - in fact it's the stainless (pt917cs_600.jpg) shown in the above message. Accurate, easy to shoot and finely made.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
lol so it is, i just snagged it off google images, there was'nt many 917's to choose from but it was the nicest of the bunch.. good job on the photo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all.
I already have a stainless gun (Beretta 81fs) and would like to get a blue one.
As you say that it is accurate i´m not worried anymore, because I have read in another forum that it will shoot any kind of ammo but will spray them all over the target.
I don´t know if the warranty policy is the same for Europe but if I have to send the gun back to the factory (across the atlantic) for accuracy problems it would last several mounths to get my gun back.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
jmg said:
Hi! this is my first post but I´m a reader of this forum for quite a long time now.
I´m from Portugal and I´m thinking about the 917c to be my next handgun.
So I would like to get some information and feelings about this (beautiful) gun.
Is it accurate?
Is it reliable?
And how is the finish, is it resistant? It´s important because Portugal is a hot country and the sweat use to damage (rust) the frame of the guns.
Thank you and sorry for my poor english.
Welcome. Don't worry about your english here. Yours is better than others I've seen here and it is way better than any of us can speak Portuguese.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Paul. I can say that here at this forum I found some friendly people.
And I can tell that the more I read about Taurus guns, the more I´m falling in love with them.
My first choice for the 917 is because of some posts I have read about the 24/7(reliability problems).
I love the way the 24/7 looks and the polymer frame would solve the sweat problem because of the heat here in Portugal. Is there anyone who can insure me that the 24/7 9mm is reliable?
I think it´s the most important thing about a defense weapon...

·
Registered
356 Posts
I also have a 24/7 compact - I've owned full-sized models as well - never had any problems with them. My current compact is a great little carry gun. Highly reliable.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
My 24/7 is in .40 S&W and is very reliable. I've put 800-1000 rds. through it without any problems at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I´m sorry but I´m not going to get a 917 or 24/7.
I´m going to get a PT 909 instead.
I hope that it will be an accurate gun as I´ve already seen someone complaining about the accuracy of the 909 in the highroad.
I´m really happy and anxious too because now I have to wait 3 more weeks because of police paperwork (and I have already paid half of the gun).
Is there somebody who owns the 909 that could give me some feed back about the gun?
I will post some pictures and a review when I get the gun.

·
Administrator
17,666 Posts
Have not had any problems at all with either of my 24/7's and they've been very reliable and accurate. Have an older worn, but not worn out, PT92 that is a predecessor of the PT917, and I have had few problems with it. Very reliable and accurate!

Almost bought a PT909, but when they were discontinued their wholesale prices went up, and then the 24/7's became much more attractive. Held a 24/7 and the grip was so comfortable I just had to have it! The PT909 will be nice gun and the few who have posted here about it, liked it. You will need to post a Range Report here and tell us of your experiences with it!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
jwc007 said:
Almost bought a PT909, but when they were discontinued their wholesale prices went up, and then the 24/7's became much more attractive. Held a 24/7 and the grip was so comfortable I just had to have it! The PT909 will be nice gun and the few who have posted here about it, liked it. You will need to post a Range Report here and tell us of your experiences with it!
tell me about it :/

i too wanted to get a 909 but prices spiked on them and they're not the easiest gun to find in the first place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well mine is the Blue PT 909 without the tactical rail.
I think the gun is sexiest without (looks like a brazilian SIG).
Costs 460€ with 2 17rds magazines.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way can someone tell me if the taurus finish (blue) is resistant (strong )?
Thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, nobody to answer me?
So I will make another question.
Would someone tell me about a good OWB holster for the PT 909?
Thank you.

·
Administrator
17,666 Posts
Can only make an educated guess on that one. The PT909 was not around long enough, and in sufficient quantities, for most holster makers to consider it. Were I you, I would look at holsters made for the Springfield XD's and Taurus 24/7's.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The 909 looks interesting. It looks like it is the 92 lower with essentially a millenium upper. Does anyone know if the lower is exactlly the same as on the 92/917? If so, I'd think it's still a little thick for a carry piece.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
when you're dealing with a unpopular gun the best bet is always leather.

either have one made or find a gun with the same aprox dimensions and it will probably work, leather is forgiving.

·
Administrator
17,666 Posts
Rackir said:
The 909 looks interesting. It looks like it is the 92 lower with essentially a millenium upper. Does anyone know if the lower is exactlly the same as on the 92/917?
The top Slide Assembly, Hammer, Recoil Spring, and Guide Rod are from the PT911.

The PT909 Lower Frame is largely derived from the PT92AR/PT917AR, with the only real differences being that it's front dustcover is a little shorter and there is a small cut in the top of the Magazine well to allow passage of the feed ramp.

A removable Frame Insert is used for locking/unlocking the barrel during the recoil cycle, as is done on the other PT900 series pistols.

PT909's, PT917's, and PT92's, all share the same magazines.

Although still listed in the Taurus Catalog, manufacture of the PT909 has been discontinued in favor of the PT809. Distributors and Dealers still have some on the shelves.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts