Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just bought a 9mm Taurus PT 111 this week. He asked me to order a holster for the gun, a C.T.A.C. by COMP-TAC. When I went to order it from their website, they wanted to know if it is a PT 111 or a PT 111 Millennium Pro. I'm a little stumped. This gun has "Millennium" written on the left side of the stainless slide and "PT111" Pro on the right side. Could someone in the know tell me what holster I need to order?
I also have one other question. Is is safe to carry PT 111 Taurus holstered with the manual thumb safety in the off postition?
Thanks for any answers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Your friend has a PT-111 Millenium Pro. In most states you must have a concealed weapon permit. I would NOT rely on the thumb safety for reasons I have elaborated on before (it's in the manual: the safety can be defeated if the trigger is not fully forward when the safety is activated). My preferred method of carry is with a retention inside the waist band holster, one down from full mag capacity, and empty chamber. The slide on the PT111 Mil Pro is very easy to rack and put into immediate action. It simplifies home storage without loading and unloading the chamber at home over and over. The chance of accidental discharge goes from distinctly possible to almost nil. (Almost, because one must be ever vigilant). It irks me when people new to hand guns are told they must carry with a loaded chamber, when it is not always the best or safest method for novices. I have had a carry permit for 20 years (I am not a gun novice) and have had no problems with my "safe" carry method. I don't want to get into a big debate about loaded vs. empty chamber carry, but this is what I consider safe carry.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The Comp-Tac holster will fit the entire millenium series. Mine is marked for 111, 140, 145. It also fits the 745.

They will call you if they're not sure which one. I love my c-tac.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Wildrice, there will always be differences of opinion, as to how to carry. If someone is not comfortable with carrying a live round, and safety on, then they should not. But like you do after so long, practice the rack and load drill until it is fast enough to suit them. I will still carry with one in the chamber, but that is me. It is definitely not right for everyone. I switch between pistol and revolver, so I am used to loaded and ready to rock and roll.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys...I carry my S&W M&P 40c in either a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. or their belt slide holster. Tman, you are correct about them being a fine holster. I love mine too. That is why a recommended it to my buddy.
Wild Rice...I am personally very comfortable carrying any of my handguns, other than my cap and ball revolver with a round in the chamber. I also have had a ccw for twenty years. My M&P does not have a manual safety but it is designed to be carried fully loaded. Ditto a Glock. If you choose to carry in condition 3, that is fine, it is your decision! I personally don't feel comfortable not carrying a round in the chamber but thats me.
Regarding the manual safety on the PT111, what I am asking is it considered an option or mandatory for holsterd carry?

·
15,931 Posts
Just my opinion, but the option is up to you. If your finger is off the trigger, no harm no foul. However, I would say safety on, practice getting it off between the holster and pointing at the BG. If you pull the trigger with it on your already dead.

·
15,931 Posts
PI GUY said:
Ditto: Robby. by the way nice wiemer you got there. had one years ago. most faithful [ never leave your side ], fast and protective dog i ever had!
TY, Yeah she is mine now that I am retired. Before that she was only faithful to the wife.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I don't like carrying cocked and locked but no choice with my PT-145. With 10 in the mag it will not load the first round right if it sits for more than a few minutes. Works fine with 9 though. I guess I will just get used to cocked and locked.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Where I live, you're more likely to be confronted on the streets. I'll not carry anything I can't ride in the car comfortably with. That means a chambered round in my PT145. (cross-draw holster) with safety off or my S&W 340 in inside jacket pocket if I'm going to drive & walk/carry on same trip. I've carried the Taurus now on a couple of 600 to 800 mile trips with no probs.

My new Bianchi 7shadow2 holster covers the trigger guard quite securely. I just don't feel good about time taken to chamber that round. Neither would I feel good about a carjacker watching me slide in a round.

smit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.