Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks, this is my first post here and my first Taurus pistol so be gentle on me please! lol

I recently purchased a 2nd gen PT145 pro and so far I'm enjoying the gun very much. At close range I'm very accurate with it and it feels great to shoot. I really only have 1 bad thing to say about it, and that is manual ejection issues. If I'm firing the pistol it has absolutely no problems. It will eject 10+1 rounds as fast as my finger can squeeze the trigger. However, if I have a round chambered and try to manual eject it/rack the slide back it gets stuck and will not spit out.

A picture is attached of what the problem looks like. This happens to me EVERY time I try to manually eject a chambered round, but the gun will not jam up while firing. I've thought that maybe I wasn't pulling hard enough but I've yanked the $hit out of this thing and it still continues to get stuck. I've also tried different ammo, and it does not matter. It will do it with hollow point or regular ball ammo.

Anyone dealt with this problem and have an idea on how to fix it? I like this little pistol and want to keep it for my primary carry but I've got to figure this out. When it jams, it jams. I have to stick my pocket knife in there and pry the bullet out when it happens.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate the advice in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Welcome from Texas! I think when you racked the slide to manually eject the chambered round, you didn't give it enough force. Also, try with different ammo.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
The gun shoots and ejects the spent casing without issue but it doesn't eject a live round when you manually rack the slide. Could be that the live round you are trying to eject is longer do to the bullet still in the case. You also can not replicate the action of the slide under fire power no matter how hard and fast you are doing it. The only reason you ever need to remove a live round from the chamber is to clear the weapon. When you do this, you normally tip the gun so the ejection port is down and facing the ground to let gravity help the round fall out. Your gun is functioning fine.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
All my semi-autos act a little silly when pulling out the live round to clear the chamber. Some do it better than others, but I usually go with one of two methods. Either tilting the ejection port downward and catching the round in the hand I rack the slide with, or removing the magazine and tipping the barrel skyward to let the live round run out the magwell. Other than that, only a pair actually push live rounds out in a method similar to firing. My 945 and 92 both eject like they're shooting, but I'm kind of not surprised since they're essentially the same lower frame but only one has the open slide configuration (92).

·
Registered
24,943 Posts
Hello and welcome from Minnesota. I don't think there are any probs with your gun. Just pull a little harder.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Welcome to TA from Jacksonville, FL. Ditto to what those before me have said; just pull a little harder and faster. You might want to try doing the manual ejects with some Snap Caps until you get the hang of it.

·
Super Moderator
38,020 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois! I have a 3rd gen PT 145 and I love it! I also bought mine pre-owned and started getting light strikes. While not related to your extraction problem, you may want to detail strip the slide to do a thorough cleaning. Don't use a lot of oil as it will catch powder residue and causes jams/light strikes. There's a sticky on the detail strip process...don't lose any of the tiny springs.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
See if the extractor has a good definite hook on it and is properly engaging the rim. I also have a 2nd Generation PT 145 and it ejects easily. Being as you bought it used, the previous owner may have made the mistake of loading the first round through the breech instead of allowing the pistol to stip the first round from the magazine. Doing so will (over time) distort the extractor and make it less effective. Unless you have tried other brands of ammo, I might try that also, but it may very well be that you need a new extractor.

·
Administrator
40,580 Posts
Drop the magazine, and rack the slide with authority. As in imitating slide action in actual firing, as near as you can.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
First make sure it is clean and properly lubed. Second rack the slide quickly and make sure it goes all the way back. I seldom do it with live ammo, but I do recommend practicing with snap caps. With ejection port up, mine will shoot he snap caps straight up a good foot plus so that I can catch 'em. It is not about how much force you pull back with but the speed to replicate live fire. Agian try manually cycling with snap caps at first and go from there.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

Dropping the mag and tilting the ejection port to allow gravity to do its thing are the best tips yet. I would add getting some snap caps and work on it at home without live rounds. The spring may be stiff and needs some break in time for you to be able to get it all the way back. But if it works when it is firing every time that is what matters most.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
A lot of PT145's don't want to eject a fully assembled cartridge, and that's both a major problem and an easy fix. If you land on a dud in a high pressure situation, the last thing you want is a loose cartridge rattling around inside the action. The PT145 ejector comes from the factory with a pretty flat tip. If you put about a 5 degree angle on the tip of the ejector, it will lift the round slightly and allow it to set back a tiny bit farther - just enough to clear the ejection port.

You have to have enough room between the tip of the ejector and the front of the ejection port for a live round to reliably eject. By changing the geometry such that the round lifts at an angle, you in effect increase the distance. Take a real close look at the tip of your ejector, and compare it to the following pic. If it doesn't have the angle on the tip, that's probably why it won't kick them out. If you know what you're doing it's an easy mod to make. If you don't - take it to a gunsmith and get them to cut the angle. I boogered one up on mine, and had to replace the ejector - which isn't particularly easy to do on a milpro. So again, if you don't have the skills, take it to a gunsmith. Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks to get them to cut it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Listen to db. The master has spoken.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A lot of PT145's don't want to eject a fully assembled cartridge, and that's both a major problem and an easy fix. If you land on a dud in a high pressure situation, the last thing you want is a loose cartridge rattling around inside the action. The PT145 ejector comes from the factory with a pretty flat tip. If you put about a 5 degree angle on the tip of the ejector, it will lift the round slightly and allow it to set back a tiny bit farther - just enough to clear the ejection port.

You have to have enough room between the tip of the ejector and the front of the ejection port for a live round to reliably eject. By changing the geometry such that the round lifts at an angle, you in effect increase the distance. Take a real close look at the tip of your ejector, and compare it to the following pic. If it doesn't have the angle on the tip, that's probably why it won't kick them out. If you know what you're doing it's an easy mod to make. If you don't - take it to a gunsmith and get them to cut the angle. I boogered one up on mine, and had to replace the ejector - which isn't particularly easy to do on a milpro. So again, if you don't have the skills, take it to a gunsmith. Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks to get them to cut it.

This is EXACTLY the information I was looking for. Thank you very much sir.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, I probably should've introduced my experience a little better in my first post. I'm a newbie to Taurus products but I am not a newbie to firearms. I've owned many Glocks (currently own a tricked out 21), many XD's/XDM's (currently own XDM 9mm 5.25") Colts, etc etc. I'm well aware on how to eject a live round manually.

This is my first Taurus product and so far I'm happy with it other than this minor hick-up, which I'm sure I'll have remedied in short order thanks to the info you guys provided. Next I'll be looking to get myself a shiny PT1911. :D

·
Super Moderator
38,020 Posts
Excellent choice..I have both a PT 145 SS and a PT 1911 SS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts